HP Forums
Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement (/thread-18302.html)

Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement - Jeff_Birt - 04-25-2022 06:03 PM

In this video we fit a new replacement LCD in a Tandy PC-3 which is the same as the Sharp PC-1250/51/55. Thankfully Robert Baruch is reproducing the LCDs for these vintage pocket computers as well as the TRS-80 PC-1 / Sharp PC-1211 and Sharp PC-1246. The link to the LCDs are in the video description. Many thanks to Robert for getting these reproduced. They look great!

We’ll try a different method to separate the old LCD glass from the adhesive on the metal frame. We’ll try using a hotplate to soften the glue rather than acetone. Will it work? If so it should save hours of waiting. Join us and see how we made out.

RE: Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement - Dave Britten - 04-29-2022 01:05 PM

Nice, I should probably order one of these and the PC-1211 version to have on hand. Amazingly, my PC-3 and both of my PC-1211s still have pristine LCDs, but given their age, you never know when they could suddenly take a turn for the worse. Doesn't look too hard to install.

RE: Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement - blackjetrock - 04-29-2022 01:18 PM

i think they are a better display with greater contrast, too. They are definitely not like-for-like.

Are you in the UK? I may have one of each i can sell to you. Buying one from Robert is pretty expensive due to the shipping. I bought a couple of each more than I needed in case anyone in the UK wanted one.

You can see them here:

https://youtu.be/LLbRHuMXJIs

Andrew

RE: Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement - Dave Britten - 04-29-2022 01:27 PM

(04-29-2022 01:18 PM)blackjetrock Wrote:  i think they are a better display with greater contrast, too. They are definitely not like-for-like.

Are you in the UK? I may have one of each i can sell to you. Buying one from Robert is pretty expensive due to the shipping. I bought a couple of each more than I needed in case anyone in the UK wanted one.

You can see them here:

https://youtu.be/LLbRHuMXJIs

Andrew

I am in the US, so shipping for a pair is only about $5. Thanks though!

I will probably just keep these on hand in case anything happens to my Sharps, or if I find a great deal on a for-parts machine. Smile

RE: Tandy PC-3 / Sharp PC-1251 LCD replacement - Jeff_Birt - 04-29-2022 01:34 PM

(04-29-2022 01:05 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Nice, I should probably order one of these and the PC-1211 version to have on hand. Amazingly, my PC-3 and both of my PC-1211s still have pristine LCDs, but given their age, you never know when they could suddenly take a turn for the worse. Doesn't look too hard to install.

I'll have a video on the PC-1 / PC-1211 LCD replacement and printer/cassette interface refurb out in the next week too Smile