HP Forums
Weird screen in HP 12c - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Weird screen in HP 12c (/thread-12654.html)

Weird screen in HP 12c - tonyrp - 03-20-2019 10:21 PM

[attachment=7043]
A friend give me an old Hp 12c neither open nor used. When I pushed power on a weird screen appeared. I changed the batteries and another strange screen appears. I let him 24 hours without batteries ( to reset him) and the same . Thanks

RE: Weird screen in HP 12c - Joe Horn - 03-21-2019 12:04 AM

(1) Are you sure that the batteries are strong? Merely being newly bought doesn't guarantee that they're strong.

(2) What happens if you turn it off, press and hold down the "-" (subtract) key, and then press ON while still holding down the "-" key? It should clear all memory and say "Pr Error".

(3) Another way to reset the machine is to remove the batteries and then short the calculator's battery terminals together using a paper clip or pair of scissors or whatever. This supposedly drains the internal capacitor. It's harmless; give it a try.

RE: Weird screen in HP 12c - tonyrp - 03-21-2019 06:27 AM

I tried that. Nothing works. Thanks

RE: Weird screen in HP 12c - teenix - 03-21-2019 07:58 AM

(03-21-2019 12:04 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  (1) Are you sure that the batteries are strong? Merely being newly bought doesn't guarantee that they're strong.

(2) What happens if you turn it off, press and hold down the "-" (subtract) key, and then press ON while still holding down the "-" key? It should clear all memory and say "Pr Error".

(3) Another way to reset the machine is to remove the batteries and then short the calculator's battery terminals together using a paper clip or pair of scissors or whatever. This supposedly drains the internal capacitor. It's harmless; give it a try.

Looks a bit like it is trying to display the lower half of "Error"

cheers

Tony

RE: Weird screen in HP 12c - Jlouis - 03-26-2019 12:50 AM

(03-20-2019 10:21 PM)tonyrp Wrote:  A friend give me an old Hp 12c neither open nor used. When I pushed power on a weird screen appeared. I changed the batteries and another strange screen appears. I let him 24 hours without batteries ( to reset him) and the same . Thanks

I know what it is, it's the Predators language.

[Image: 0229d4e79e39657c2e744ca06d1605b2.jpg]