HP Forums
Classics Battery Holder vs. Battery Pack - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Classics Battery Holder vs. Battery Pack (/thread-10718.html)

Classics Battery Holder vs. Battery Pack - AndiGer - 05-10-2018 03:53 PM

Inspired by Mark Hoskin's battery holder for classics that take 3 AAA cells I built one myself.
But when I put it in an HP-67 with even freshly loaded AAA batteries that give together 4.1 V I get the low battery indicator on (650 mAh or 900 mAh cells, doesn't give a difference).
In contrary I lately re-designed a cell phone battery pack with 3 AAA 800 mAh cells in it and the low battery indicator does not appear also I measure only 3.95 V.

What is the difference here? Why do I get the indicator on using the holder but not with the pack? Different current flow given to the calculator?

RE: Classics Battery Holder vs. Battery Pack - Michael de Estrada - 05-10-2018 04:06 PM

Do you mean AA ? Anyways, it could just be a poor electrical contact someplace.

RE: Classics Battery Holder vs. Battery Pack - AndiGer - 05-10-2018 05:24 PM

No AA but AAA batteries inside the holder and pack as well.

Search for "Alkaline Hewlett Packard Calculator Battery CASE HP 35, 45, 55, 65, 67 & 80" on TAS. It's Mark's offer.

OK, will try to connect from pack outside with some wires and measure whether contacts maybe bad somewhere.

RE: Classics Battery Holder vs. Battery Pack - Maximilian Hohmann - 05-10-2018 06:04 PM

Out of sheer coincidence I received a little package from Mark Hoskins only yesterday. Among other things it contained two classic batteries and one of his AAA battery holders for classics. The HP-35 that I used to try them out likes both of the packs equally well, I put rechargeable 800mAh NiMh cells into the AAA holder.

RE: Classics Battery Holder vs. Battery Pack - AndiGer - 05-11-2018 04:25 PM

Today did a test to a small bulb.
As the AAA cells aren't new voltage under load drops significantly from near 4 V to near 3 V.
That makes clear the low bat indicator.
Voltage drop doing the same with the pack is 0.1 to 0.2 V.