HP Forums
5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days (/thread-1038.html)

5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Matt Agajanian - 04-05-2014 02:05 AM

Hello all.

I am trying to recall the 5-level RPN calc that was the topic of a thread not too far back in the original Forum days.

If anyone recallls which calc this was, please refresh my memory.

Thanks.

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Manolo Sobrino - 04-05-2014 03:48 AM

Try here. Wink

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Matt Agajanian - 04-05-2014 03:55 AM

Thanks. I'll see what pops up (pun intended).

YUP, it worked. Pretty neat webpage too.

I found the mystery calc when I hit on the old MoHPC thread, "Is RPN a pattern of HP?"

The Heathkit OC-1401 was mentioned in that thread and that's the calc I was thinking of.

Thanks.

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Garth Wilson - 04-05-2014 05:51 AM

(04-05-2014 03:48 AM)Manolo Sobrino Wrote:  Try here. Wink
or ixquick.com which works the same but without the polical and privacy issues of Google. I will not use Google.
ixquick.com, search term site:www.hpmuseum.org "5-level stack"

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Mark Hardman - 04-05-2014 02:07 PM

(04-05-2014 03:55 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  The Heathkit OC-1401 was mentioned in that thread and that's the calc I was thinking of.

As usual, Katie even has a copy of the calculator's manual:

Heathkit Manual for the Aircraft Navigation Computer Model OC-1401

I want one!

Mark Hardman

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Maximilian Hohmann - 04-05-2014 05:08 PM

(04-05-2014 02:07 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  I want one!

Oh yes! It took me several years to find a good one at an affordable price, but now it's mine :-) Great calculator, but unfortunately not required any longer for it's original purpose. Look at the classifieds of this forum, there was one on offer some time ago, maybe it is still available.

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - walter b - 04-05-2014 05:14 PM

Does it feature a reasonable keyboard? Tactile feedback?

d:-?

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Katie Wasserman - 04-05-2014 06:53 PM

(04-05-2014 05:14 PM)walter b Wrote:  Does it feature a reasonable keyboard? Tactile feedback?

Yes! It got a nice solid feel, takes a good amount of force and make a pretty loud sound -- a bit hollow sounding because of the fairly large plastic case it's in.
I don't like the keyboard layout at all though, but then again being an RPN calculator was not it's primary mission.

This was such an innovative calculator: 5-level RPN, 3 microcontrollers, many power supply options, choice of semi-permanent keyboard overlays, not to mention all the navigation, fuel and timer functions. And, of course if was available per-assembled or as a kit.

RE: 5-Level RPN Calc from the early days - Maximilian Hohmann - 04-05-2014 06:53 PM

(04-05-2014 05:14 PM)walter b Wrote:  Does it feature a reasonable keyboard? Tactile feedback?

It's OK. Not as good as HP, not as bad as Ti. But for such a niche product, the quality is really good. Most later aviation calculators have rubber keys