GDW-Modern Free42 skin (iPhone 5,SE,6 etc) - updated
04-10-2018, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 12:56 PM by Graham D. Wilson.)
GDW-Modern Free42 skin (iPhone 5,SE,6 etc) - updated
------
Update 27 Apr 2018:

I've added a new high contrast skin for download. It's unconventional in that the button edges are not very visible. Let me know what you think.
GDW-Modern High Contrast Free42 skin (iPhone)

[Image: gdw_modern_hc_free42_skin_by_graywz-dc9ylyp.png]

------

The recent controversy about the GPL licences of DM42 and Free42 got me to finally neaten up a Free42 skin that I designed for my own use on the iPhone 5 (and SE). Edit: It works fine on later iPhones too - see Dave's message below.

I designed the skin because I don't like the skins that try to imitate the real 42S, with their small keys that make the them difficult for me to use on a small screen.

The skin is designed for screens 640 x 1136 pixels. I haven't tested it on other mobile devices, but it can be used in a desktop environment too -- but it's not designed for large screens.

For anyone who's interested, the skin's available for download
GDW-Modern i5 Free42 skin (iPhone)

[Image: gdw_modern_i5_free42_skin__iphone__by_gr...c8f3ya.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2018, 03:36 PM
RE: GDW-Modern i5 Free42 skin (iPhone 5/SE)
Looks great on my iPhone 6. Free42 only runs in 640 x 1136 mode anyway (scaled on a 6 or newer), so it scales up just fine. Thanks!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2018, 04:42 PM
RE: GDW-Modern i5 Free42 skin (iPhone 5/SE)
(04-10-2018 03:36 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Looks great on my iPhone 6. Free42 only runs in 640 x 1136 mode anyway (scaled on a 6 or newer), so it scales up just fine. Thanks!

Thanks Dave, that's great to know. I'll update the description.
04-10-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: GDW-Modern Free42 skin (iPhone 5,SE,6 etc)
Looks fine on my Samsung S5 Neo too. I really like the bigger keys!

Nigel (UK)
04-11-2018, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2018 03:10 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
RE: GDW-Modern Free42 skin (iPhone 5,SE,6 etc)
(04-10-2018 06:24 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Looks fine on my Samsung S5 Neo too. I really like the bigger keys!

Nigel (UK)

Thanks Nigel. Happy to hear that it works well on Andriod too.
04-27-2018, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 12:57 PM by Graham D. Wilson.)
RE: GDW-Modern Free42 skin (iPhone 5,SE,6 etc) - updated
I've created a new high contrast skin that folks may find useful.
See first post.
[Image: gdw_modern_hc_free42_skin_by_graywz-dc9ylyp.png]
04-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Ooh, looks like my 27S. Big Grin
04-27-2018, 01:33 PM
(04-27-2018 12:41 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Ooh, looks like my 27S. Big Grin
Nice machine. Wish they'd made an RPN version.
04-27-2018, 01:54 PM
(04-27-2018 01:33 PM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 12:41 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Ooh, looks like my 27S. Big Grin
Nice machine. Wish they'd made an RPN version.

Yeah, I'd kill for a 27SII, or better yet, a 47S that combines everything from the 42S, 17BII, and 27S.
04-27-2018, 05:46 PM
I like these, especially the original one that has some color. I do really like that you've made the buttons a lot bigger. The "Standard" one that comes with Free42, while pretty faithful to the real hardware, wastes a lot of precious space on a small phone screen such that it's tough (for me at least and I don't have really wide fingers) to use.

One thing though, which I suppose is probably out of your control. Is it possible to widen the soft menu labels in the display so that they are closer to being over their top-row respective buttons? Right now they are crunched in a tight group in the middle while there's unused grey space at either end of the display. I'm presuming the display is fixed, so it's not possible in a "re-skin", but thought I'd ask.

Nice work and thanks again,

burkhard
04-28-2018, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2018 05:24 PM by Graham D. Wilson.)
Thanks burkhard

(04-27-2018 05:46 PM)burkhard Wrote:  Is it possible to widen the soft menu labels in the display?

Yes and no. Free42 allows one to scale the LCD characters' height and width, but only by whole numbers, not fractions. I've experimented and been unsucessful in getting a better fitting set. Increasing either the width and/or height makes the LCD characters too big to fit correctly.

Ideally, Free42 would do well to allow one to use OS fonts like WP34S does. But as written, Free42 is too inflexible for a better fitting display. Unfortunately I do not have any iOS tools needed to reprogram Free42's display.

It would be an ideal project for someone skilled in iOS/Android programming. Thomas could do it I'm sure, but I think he has said there will be no more improvements to Free42, only bug fixes from now on -- I may be wrong on that and on my opinion that there's no way to improve the display without programming. Anyone?

Graham
04-28-2018, 02:50 AM
What's the best way to get this into Free42 on the iPhone ?
04-28-2018, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2018 03:46 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
(04-28-2018 02:50 AM)Gene Wrote:  What's the best way to get this into Free42 on the iPhone ?

Getting stuff on an off an iPhone is infuriating, but I've mastered iPhone/Windows XP/7 app/music ripping despite Apple's best attempts to control and prevent me.

There are 3 ways I know of for app files (documents):

-A-
The easiest way in Windows: I use a suite of programs called CopyTrans to replace individual app files. Use the free CopyTrans Apps program
download link.
The process to transfer individual files is very easy - just drag and drop.

-B-
Or you can use iTunes to copy and replace the whole "skins" folder. iTunes (at least the version I have) won't allow you to copy individual files into the skins folder.

. Use iTunes (using the Windows version, I don't have Mac, which I assume is similar)
. Click on the iPhone icon (on the toolbar)
. Click Apps (under Settings)
. Scroll down to File Sharing
. Click Free42
. Click "skins" folder (under Free42 Documents)
. Click "Save to..." button to copy the whole skins folder to your hard drive
. Copy the new layout and gif files to the skins folder on your hard drive
. Drag and drop the skins folder back into the iTunes File Sharing/Free42 Documents window and confirm that you want to replace the existing folder
. close iTunes

That's it. The new skin/layout docs will be copied to your iPhone along with the other contents of the skins folder.

-C-
Another way is to use Free42's built in web server and follow the
instructions on Thomas's site.
04-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Graham,

Thanks for making the GDW-Modern skin available, it looks great on the iPhone8 and the larger 6+ we have. Don't waste time trying it out on the smaller 3.5" screen on the gen4 ipod touch, the bottom row and part of the second row of keys are cut off the display.

And thanks too for the CopyTransApps tip, it makes getting files onto iOS easier than either the latest iTunes or the built-in server when working with a Windows PC. The latest iTunes doesn't allow me to drag and drop the skins folder back into the app, earlier versions could do that but not the newest. Thanks MS and Apple for trying to save me from myself! The built-in server does work well with Linux.

I had started to play with Numerical2, it has a nice modern interface that's easy on the eyes and has no equal key, and interestingly enough no RPN either! Your skin brought me back to using free42. I appreciate you for sharing your efforts.
04-29-2018, 04:46 AM
(04-28-2018 04:32 PM)Jeff B Wrote:  Your skin brought me back to using free42. I appreciate you for sharing your efforts.

Thanks Jeff, only a pleasure to be able to give back a little to such a generous community.
04-29-2018, 09:47 PM
(04-28-2018 02:07 AM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  Thanks burkhard

(04-27-2018 05:46 PM)burkhard Wrote:  Is it possible to widen the soft menu labels in the display?

Yes and no. Free42 allows one to scale the LCD characters' height and width, but only by whole numbers, not fractions. I've experimented and been unsucessful in getting a better fitting set. Increasing either the width and/or height makes the LCD characters too big to fit correctly.

Ideally, Free42 would do well to allow one to use OS fonts like WP34S does. But as written, Free42 is too inflexible for a better fitting display. Unfortunately I do not have any iOS tools needed to reprogram Free42's display.

It would be an ideal project for someone skilled in iOS/Android programming. Thomas could do it I'm sure, but I think he has said there will be no more improvements to Free42, only bug fixes from now on -- I may be wrong on that and on my opinion that there's no way to improve the display without programming. Anyone?

Graham

I figured something like that, Graham. Too bad it's restricted to integer scaling values, but that doesn't diminish the nice work you did. I'm running yours in preference to the "stock" one or any of the other heretofore available skins. It's not the mod look I'm so into, but the bigger buttons are frankly *great*.

thanks again,
burkhard
04-30-2018, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2018 05:41 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
Different Colour Schemes - Offer
(04-29-2018 09:47 PM)burkhard Wrote:  It's not the mod look I'm so into, but the bigger buttons are frankly *great*.

Thanks burkhard

If you give me an example of the mod look, I'll be able to replicate it for you quite easily I think.

I'll release my vector file so people can tinker with it themselves. But like programming code, I need to neaten up the file before displaying it in public. Smile

In the meantime, my offer is open to anyone else who would like a different colour scheme. Just let me know and give me an example, and I'll see what I can do.

G
04-30-2018, 05:11 PM
(04-30-2018 05:19 AM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  
(04-29-2018 09:47 PM)burkhard Wrote:  It's not the mod look I'm so into, but the bigger buttons are frankly *great*.

Thanks burkhard

If you give me an example of the mod look, I'll be able to replicate it for you quite easily I think.

I'll release my vector file so people can tinker with it themselves. But like programming code, I need to neaten up the file before displaying it in public. Smile

In the meantime, my offer is open to anyone else who would like a different colour scheme. Just let me know and give me an example, and I'll see what I can do.

G

Oh, sorry Graham, I wasn't clear. I like the colors fine right now; no need to do anything custom, although I appreciate the kind offer. What I meant was that the reason I like your skin is not because the style is rather "modern" (which it is), but because the buttons are big. I'd like the other skins that are available from the Free42 web site, but as you yourself noted, the buttons wind up being *really* small on a device with a 4" screen.

I'm surprised no one has tried to do a Free41 skin that looks "more classic" but maximizes the buttons. The 41 emulator app i41CX has some skins that do exactly this rather successfully I think. But anyhow, I'm running your skin for Free42 and like it much.
Cheers,
burkhard
04-30-2018, 05:22 PM
(04-28-2018 03:32 AM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  Another way is to use Free42's built in web server and follow the
instructions on Thomas's site.

Gene: Aha. This is what was needed and worked. Thank you.

Question: The new skus I downloaded look great and are the retina versions.

However, they are not taking up the entire screen. Any retina quality skin out there that fills the screen with the image?
05-01-2018, 01:41 AM
(04-30-2018 05:22 PM)Gene Wrote:  However, they are not taking up the entire screen.

What iPhone model are you using? If you PM me a screen grab of the skin on your iPhone (Home + Top/side button) I'll get the exact dimensions from the PNG and be able to easily create a skin that fits properly.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)