Programming issue HP41CX
02-26-2018, 10:39 PM
RE: Programming issue HP41CX
(02-26-2018 08:34 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  Is there a way to read/get what information may be on a magnetic card that a card reader will not read. Would like to salvage as much of a program on the mag cards as possible.

Simply try to load as many cards as possible. If one side gives an error multiple times, proceed to the next one. According to the manual you can read the program cards in any order. Once you have done what you could, press R/S or <- to terminate the session and you will be left with whatever could be read.

Håkan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2018, 09:49 AM
borrow a second card reader, maybe the cards can be read then.

i had a problem with my card reader a while ago that allowed me to write cards, and re-read those freshly written cards, but i was unable to read older cards which worked fine earlier.

the problem was that the card was pulled through in the wrong speed. after fixing the card reader, it could read the older cards again. maybe your card reader simply is not working anymore, and a second one will read the cards just fine.
02-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Thanks I will see if I can borrow another card reader.

I have another question.

Working on assigning keys in user mode for use with an overlay. I have assigned the Zero key (82) to a label VE. When entering base data to run my program the 82 key now executes and I get a data error. How do I remove the key assignment? I have tried to reassign, but it does not appear to work as the key is still assigned to VE.
02-27-2018, 10:44 PM
(02-27-2018 09:48 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  ... I have assigned the Zero key (82) to a label VE. ... How do I remove the key assignment?

Press ASN ALPHA ALPHA 0

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-27-2018, 11:00 PM
(02-27-2018 09:48 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  Thanks I will see if I can borrow another card reader.

I have another question.

Working on assigning keys in user mode for use with an overlay. I have assigned the Zero key (82) to a label VE. When entering base data to run my program the 82 key now executes and I get a data error. How do I remove the key assignment? I have tried to reassign, but it does not appear to work as the key is still assigned to VE.

Main calculations are now working. Still need to fix the key assignments not meant to be assigned. See above issue.
02-28-2018, 03:35 AM
(02-27-2018 11:00 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  Still need to fix the key assignments not meant to be assigned. See above issue.

See above reply.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
02-28-2018, 07:43 AM
(02-27-2018 09:48 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  Working on assigning keys in user mode for use with an overlay. I have assigned the Zero key (82) to a label VE.

What? You assigned a program to a number key? How do you want to enter data then?

Except for very special reasons you never assign functions or programs to the 0–9 keys or the decimal point – you see what happens if you do. The same is true for the + – × ÷ keys.

If your keyboard overlay has assignments for these keys they most probably refer to the shifted (!) function, i.e. shift 0 in this case (labelled with "LastX").

(02-27-2018 09:48 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  When entering base data to run my program the 82 key now executes and I get a data error. How do I remove the key assignment?

1. Clear the assignment: ASN ALPHA ALPHA [key to clear]
or
2. For programs you can simply assign the program to another key. Only the last assignment counts.

(02-27-2018 09:48 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  I have tried to reassign, but it does not appear to work as the key is still assigned to VE.

You obviously did it the wrong way. What keys exactly did you press?

If you want to assign the VE program to the shifted zero key you have to press
[shift][ASN] [ALPHA] V E [ALPHA] [shift] [0]  which displays as ASN VE –82.

Dieter
03-05-2018, 07:42 PM
I have resolved the ASN function issues I was having. My bad on how to.

Still working to determine how to align the keyboard overlay with the program. The three upper rows are data entry. Most of the other rows appear to be for program calculated results with some being for additional data entry for the more advanced functions. Still working on how to sort this out.

Attached is a copy of the current functionality printout I currently have working.

Question? I also have the Android GO41CX version on my Samsung phone. Since I cannot attach a printer, will the AVIEW and PRBUF functions be active in the program? It is my understanding a printer needs to be attached when entering the program manually. Am I wasting my time trying to enter the program on my Android?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  FSP V13 Printout of Sizing 4421_001.pdf (Size: 74.39 KB / Downloads: 22)
03-05-2018, 10:25 PM
(03-05-2018 07:42 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  Question? I also have the Android GO41CX version on my Samsung phone. Since I cannot attach a printer, will the AVIEW and PRBUF functions be active in the program? It is my understanding a printer needs to be attached when entering the program manually. Am I wasting my time trying to enter the program on my Android?

GO41CX includes a (virtual) printer, that you 'plug-in' on the configure screen (touch in the center of the display). Once installed, the Printer XROM commands are recognized and can be entered just like on a real 41 with a printer plugged-in.

While you can expect to find GO41CX poorly documented, it's a great emulator and once you put in a little time to learn it, you'll find it does whatever you'd like to do with a real 41. Except of course the buttons have no feel...

--Bob Prosperi
03-08-2018, 11:31 PM
Thanks Bob,

I found the Printer. Did not know how to get to the configure screen

James
03-09-2018, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 10:43 AM by Dieter.)
(03-05-2018 07:42 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  Question? I also have the Android GO41CX version on my Samsung phone. Since I cannot attach a printer, will the AVIEW and PRBUF functions be active in the program? It is my understanding a printer needs to be attached when entering the program manually. Am I wasting my time trying to enter the program on my Android?

In general, you cannot enter any commands of a peripherical device unless it is attached to the calculator. So you can't enter a PRBUF without the printer, or a RDTAX without the card reader.

If you have a program that already includes such commands, e.g. because it has been recorded on magnetic cards before while the printer was attached, these will be shown as XROM commands when the printer is no longer present. When the program comes across such a command it will throw a NONEXISTENT error.

The V13 program checks if a printer is present and will not execute print commands if no printer is attached. So it can be used without a printer. But you will not be able to enter the print command manually.

BTW, if you set the printer switch to MAN instead of NORM the printout will not duplicate every entry or keystroke, as shown in the attached PDF, and you will only see the lines that are printed by the program.

Dieter

Edit: removed a "not" and a typo as shown in the quote in Garth Wilson's reply. #-)
03-09-2018, 10:33 AM
(03-09-2018 09:27 AM)Dieter Wrote:  

In general, you cannot enter any commands of a peripherical device unless it is not attached to the calculator. So you can't enter a PRBUF without the printer, or a RTDAX without the card reader.

I don't know how this affects GO41CX, but for real 41's, if you have the HP-IL module plugged in (which has the printer and other I/O functions), you can enter the printer functions (like PRBUF) without a printer attached. The HP-IL module can support lots of printers at once as well, and if you really had more than one, you would select which printer you want. I've never had more than one actual printer attached at once, but I've had a printer plus other things I could SELECT and output to as if they were printers.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
03-12-2018, 05:51 PM
I am using the i41CX+ on my iPad. Is there a way to add/build/make a keyboard overlay for use with my V13 program? Is there a way to replace the GOLD characters with my program characters?
03-13-2018, 06:32 PM
(03-12-2018 05:51 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  I am using the i41CX+ on my iPad. Is there a way to add/build/make a keyboard overlay for use with my V13 program? Is there a way to replace the GOLD characters with my program characters?

Take a look at the i41CX+ FAQ, here question C10: "Can I create my own keyboard overlays?".

There are links to blank overlays you can download and then edit as you like. While Photoshop and text layers are the obvious choice, a simple image editor that lets you add text to an image will do here, for instance the Freestone Image Viewer (which also is a great piece of software for many image related tasks).

Finally take a look at FAQ question C8 on how to get the finished overlay into your i41CX+.

Dieter
03-14-2018, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 06:25 PM by Dieter.)
(03-12-2018 05:51 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  I am using the i41CX+ on my iPad. Is there a way to add/build/make a keyboard overlay for use with my V13 program? Is there a way to replace the GOLD characters with my program characters?

James, I have attached two PNG files that may be used with i41CX+. These are two overlays with labels for the three top key rows. Probably the labelling is wrong as I was not able to decipher the words and symbols of the original overlay which is included in the PDF you posted some time ago. This also is the result of a quick-and-dirty job without much care about exact alignment an other details. But it's only a test to find out which file format(s) will work:

One of the files uses an alpha channel for transparency, which is the same as the blank overlay file that can be downloaded from the mentioned source. A closer look shows that the transparent sections of the blank overlay includes parts from another one – which is not visible, but not a clean solution. The other PNG file uses a different method, it's a 4-bit PNG where one entry in the color palette has been set to transparent. Maybe you – or someone else – may check if they both work on i41CX+.

Dieter

03-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Dieter,

Looks like I have some new learning to do with the overlay process. I will be studying the FAQ's and working to build and import the overlays for the i41CX+.

I now have my full program running on both Android Phone and Apple iPad plus my two HP41CV's.

I really appreciate all the help you and the other site people have provided to get me to this point.

I'll provide feed back on my success with the keyboard overlay. I do have one for my HP41CV, but not the Android or iPad... yet.

Again, thanks for all the knowledge and helping.

James
03-19-2018, 06:32 PM
(03-14-2018 06:19 PM)Dieter Wrote:  

James, I have attached two PNG files that may be used with i41CX+. These are two overlays with labels for the three top key rows. Probably the labelling is wrong as I was not able to decipher the words and symbols of the original overlay which is included in the PDF you posted some time ago. This also is the result of a quick-and-dirty job without much care about exact alignment an other details. But it's only a test to find out which file format(s) will work:

One of the files uses an alpha channel for transparency, which is the same as the blank overlay file that can be downloaded from the mentioned source. A closer look shows that the transparent sections of the blank overlay includes parts from another one – which is not visible, but not a clean solution. The other PNG file uses a different method, it's a 4-bit PNG where one entry in the color palette has been set to transparent. Maybe you – or someone else – may check if they both work on i41CX+.

Dieter

I downloaded these files to my dropbox and was able to import into Port 1 and have them show up in the list on my i41CX+, but when I went to load/assign to my i41CX+ it said Module Load Error. I am investigating the module manual loading requirements. All my modules in my i41CX+ say No Module. Any ideas?
03-19-2018, 06:39 PM
(03-19-2018 06:32 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  I downloaded these files to my dropbox and was able to import into Port 1 and have them show up in the list on my i41CX+, but when I went to load/assign to my i41CX+ it said Module Load Error. I am investigating the module manual loading requirements. All my modules in my i41CX+ say No Module. Any ideas?

Have you read question C8 of the FAQ, as suggested in my earlier post? It covers exactly this topic:
"How do I import modules, overlays, programs, flags, registers, text files, etc. into i41CX+?".

Dieter
03-20-2018, 05:06 PM
I used Adobe to modify the overlay from the one you sent me and have been able to download/import into my iPad i41CX+ just took a little rethinking regarding FAQ C8. Works great.

Just as a one off, my liquid sizing "only" now hangs up when the Cv calculation is executed. The Gas and vapor still work fine. Will be digging into the program to find out what has changed. I do not see how the overlay would affect this as it even hangs up without the overlay.

I would attach the overlay, but it is 372KB, and over the site limit.
03-20-2018, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 08:53 PM by Dieter.)
(03-20-2018 05:06 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  I used Adobe

Which Adobe software do you mean here?

(03-20-2018 05:06 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  to modify the overlay from the one you sent me

Since you got the means to modify the overlay as you need it, the best idea is starting from scratch with a blank overlay. This can be downloaded in different versions from the mentioned source (cf. FAQ question C10).

(03-20-2018 05:06 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  and have been able to download/import into my iPad i41CX+ just took a little rethinking regarding FAQ C8. Works great.

Fine.

(03-20-2018 05:06 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  Just as a one off, my liquid sizing "only" now hangs up when the Cv calculation is executed.

I assume you do not mean the program hangs (=becomes irresponsive) but it stops with an error. What program (label) is it? When the error occurs (which one is it?), what line is the program positioned to? Switch to PRGM and see which line and command it is. If you give a complete (!) example calculation we may be able to track down the issue.

(03-20-2018 05:06 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  The Gas and vapor still work fine. Will be digging into the program to find out what has changed. I do not see how the overlay would affect this as it even hangs up without the overlay.

Sure. The overlay is just a visual reminder for you. It shows which keys to press for which function. Otherwise there is no function at all.

(03-20-2018 05:06 PM)jhaig99 Wrote:  I would attach the overlay, but it is 372KB, and over the site limit.

Use "save for web" (if it's Photoshop) and, more important, select a higher compression.

Dieter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)