Full.bin version & old Black-Scholes. Flash.
04-02-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 06:50 PM by Sikuq.)
Full.bin version & old Black-Scholes. Flash.
I just flashed a couple of new WP34S (20 & 30) and now doing labels. I lost my beloved Black-Scholes formula in that process naturally - so is there any way one can get that back into a WP34S? Or onto the Prime ... hint ---> TimW.

On Eric's newest ("hair") video of overlays it seems to display his version (x-tal, IR) of 3.2 3530.

I'm flashing the basic full.bin (no x-tal, no IR) but the highest I get is edit *3472.

So where is the edit *3530 located on sourceforge and I was looking for a text file listing the latest edit time line/version history?

By the way - for other newbies: even without crystals I had no problem flashing the two units (with Walter's manual at hand) and the time was 16 secs. for the full for each. It was also easier than I had anticipated doing labels thanks to Eric's video. And using permanent marker coloring really helps including the old blue function key. My biggest problem was the sticky backsides of the labels did not easily release from my tweeters which did not have the 90-degree tip like Eric's either. Eric was ten times faster than I though (assuming he didn't fiddle with the frame rates).

- Sikuq
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 01:12 PM by jebem.)
RE: Full.bin version & old Black-Scholes. Flash.
(04-02-2014 06:49 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  I just flashed a couple of new WP34S (20 & 30) and now doing labels. I lost my beloved Black-Scholes formula in that process naturally - so is there any way one can get that back into a WP34S? Or onto the Prime ... hint ---> TimW.

a) Hi Sikuq, what kind of cable did you use to flash the new firmware?

b) It would be nice if someone could publish the original HP-30B firmware file for others to be able to restore the original state of the calculator if needed.

(04-02-2014 06:49 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  On Eric's newest ("hair") video of overlays it seems to display his version (x-tal, IR) of 3.2 3530.
c) By the way, all the files in the code area of the WP-34S SourceForge portal are missing now... Very strange indeed. Maybe someone has deleted them, or else was an act of God (it happens).
Maybe that special "3530" firmware release was compiled from the source code previously available in SourceForge?

See additional info here:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-576...ml#pid8244

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-03-2014, 02:54 PM
(04-03-2014 01:04 PM)jebem Wrote:  b) It would be nice if someone could publish the original HP-30B firmware file for others to be able to restore the original state of the calculator if needed.

Contact Gene Wright.
04-04-2014, 06:46 AM
(04-03-2014 01:04 PM)jebem Wrote:  c) By the way, all the files in the code area of the WP-34S SourceForge portal are missing now... Very strange indeed. Maybe someone has deleted them, or else was an act of God (it happens).

Our repository on SF had a problem but it should be fixed now. You can always use a SVN client to get to the complete tree (including WP 31S and the old version V2.2).

(04-03-2014 01:04 PM)jebem Wrote:  Maybe that special "3530" firmware release was compiled from the source code previously available in SourceForge?

I only rarely update the ZIP packages in the download section. The most recent builds are always in the code section (folder "realbuild").

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
04-04-2014, 06:49 AM
(04-03-2014 01:04 PM)jebem Wrote:  b) It would be nice if someone could publish the original HP-30B firmware file for others to be able to restore the original state of the calculator if needed.

It's HP's intellectual property and thus can only be posted by them.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
04-04-2014, 07:57 AM
You could always implement this as a user program for the 34S. We'd almost certainly include it in the library.

- Pauli
04-04-2014, 06:08 PM
(04-04-2014 06:46 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  I only rarely update the ZIP packages in the download section. The most recent builds are always in the code section (folder "realbuild").

Marcus: A suggestion.

Perhaps you could update the .zip file in the easier-to-find downloads area periodically, say monthly or quarterly.

Those of us that follow the 34S thru this forum know when/where to get the new bits (typically hours later...) but many folks I've heard from (and seen posts here) found and used the typically months-old zip file believing it to be the current build. It's a shame for them not to have the benefit of the latest improvements.

Maybe treat the .zip file as the current "Stable" build and the builds in the "realbuild" area as cutting-edge stuff for the rest of us wackos?

Just an idea, not trying to add to your already generous donation of time.

Thanks!

--Bob Prosperi
04-05-2014, 09:48 AM
(04-04-2014 06:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Perhaps you could update the .zip file in the easier-to-find downloads area periodically, say monthly or quarterly.

The problem is that I've never manged to automate the task. It's manual work which takes some effort to get it right. I typically wait some time after all the dust has settled before I update the download package. Since we are in the process of including new UI features, there is way too much dust at the moment. Wink

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
04-05-2014, 10:36 AM
(04-05-2014 09:48 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Since we are in the process of including new UI features, there is way too much dust at the moment. Wink
Any plan for an updated WP 34S manual to go with the new features?
04-05-2014, 11:04 AM
(04-05-2014 10:36 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Any plan for an updated WP 34S manual to go with the new features?

Yes Wink
04-05-2014, 11:05 AM
(04-05-2014 10:36 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Any plan for an updated WP 34S manual to go with the new features?

I'm sure Walter is keeping the manual up to date.
Again, let things settle -- we're still discussing some finer points of the new features.

- Pauli
04-09-2014, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 01:32 AM by BarryMead.)
(04-02-2014 06:49 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  I just flashed a couple of new WP34S (20 & 30) and now doing labels. I lost my beloved Black-Scholes formula in that process naturally - so is there any way one can get that back into a WP34S? Or onto the Prime ... hint ---> TimW.

I did a google search on "Black Scholes" and found a couple possible solutions for you.
Using a computer, or tablet you can go to this web site:
here

If you want to calculate Black Scholes offline I found an XLS spreadsheet that would run on a
compouter/tablet/cell phone to do the job:
here
04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Using Wolfram Alpha is another Black Scholes option:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=bla...lk=4&num=1

Regards,

John
04-09-2014, 11:09 PM
(04-09-2014 10:51 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  I was hoping someone (like you) could extract the B.S. from the original calculator flash and make it available as you indicate. Obviously, this applies only if no legal rights are violated. Since the B.S. came with the 30B and if such a code can only be used on a 30B maybe they would let us. I sure miss it, but such extracts are beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for thinking about it.
If you take a look at that XLS spreadsheet program, it would contain the mathematics required
to implement the formula. Then it is a simple matter of recoding it into WP-34S keystroke programming.

Take Care, Barry
04-10-2014, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 05:52 PM by BarryMead.)
(04-10-2014 12:48 AM)Sikuq Wrote:  Thanks again, and I really appreciate hearing from you with new ideas.
Another OBVIOUS thing you could do is to buy another $17.00 HP-30B and NOT FLASH it into
a WP-34S. If you need the Black Scholes formula on a quick and dirty calculator.
04-10-2014, 08:02 AM
(04-09-2014 10:15 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 01:04 PM)jebem Wrote:  a) Hi Sikuq, what kind of cable did you use to flash the new firmware?
I'm using the one with the two blue buttons - reset and erase - and it is very fast to flash using my RS232-serial-to-usb converter cable. (...) I used Walter's manual's instructions. Never failed to work; I even had two very old and very used batteries in one of the calculators. I set my port parameters to my standard 8-1-N 9600 auto-handshake.

I had no problems doing the overlays except that the key-labels stuck to my tiny screwdriver and my tiny tweeters (...)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and results on your HP-30B/WP-34S, Sikuq!

As I started my professional life as an electronics engineer, I've decided to build the serial cable myself (just for fun) instead of buying one. Maybe this is a mistake, we will see. I will post the results as soon as the Chinese suppliers can deliver the components that I have ordered 3 weeks ago...

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-10-2014, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 09:00 AM by jebem.)
(04-10-2014 06:38 AM)Sikuq Wrote:  I wish I had kept my ... HP67 ... manuals, battery cases, etc. from the old days, so this time I just won't let that happen again. I thought they discontinued the HP30B anyway.

Until we get some more reality (as opposed to vaporware) demonstrated on the WP43S, I am now focusing on the Prime. (...) In my days I was using log tables, log plot paper, and slide rules.

Oh, You make me remind of my sad and wrong decisions...
I had my full HP-67 package stored away for more than 30 years, and last year I just made the mistake of selling it on eBay.uk to make some money... started at 0.99 Pounds and it raised well above 150 Pounds!
Then I realized the value of such classic products, but it was too late.

I also started my IT professional life working with DataSaab D15/D16 (magnetic ferrite core RAM memories, card and tape paper readers, magnetic reel to reel backups systems, 5MByte of hard disk storage,...), then with WANG VS80 with similar peripherals and 8" Floppy drives, including IBM SNA interoperability (2780/3780 File Transfer, 3274 Control Units, 3278 Terminals, etc).

Oh, but I kept my fantastic Faber-Castell 57/87 slide ruler (date code 774 - July/1974), able to do Logarithms and Trigonometry, that I used so much when my HP-25 was not by hand at school in mid 70's!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-10-2014, 02:39 PM
(04-10-2014 02:24 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  JEBEM, apart from the fact that you know a whole lot more about the technology than do I, it does seem like we have had similar paths in life in this respect.

You guys are giving my nostalgia! I also bought a HP-67 in college getting my engineering degree (not sure how I could afford that!). I remember writing Fortran programs on Hollerith cards and submitting them for overnight runs (not very interactive!). I was looking through my HP-67 stuff recently and was surprised by some of the programs I wrote and have on memory cards. My HP-67 needs a new battery pack and the card reader does not work so it definitely history!

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2014, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 01:36 AM by BarryMead.)
(04-10-2014 02:39 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  You guys are giving my nostalgia!
-Jonathan
Ahh the good old days. Back in my college days 72-75 I was the first kid on campus to own an HP-35. My teachers wouldn't let me use it on tests, because they thought it gave me an unfair ADVANTAGE over the other students. I still have that original HP-35 and it still works! On tests they made me use my old Picket Slide Rule (which I also still have). I did some favors for one of my teachers, so he gave me unlimited access the the mainframe UNIVAC 1100 computer, which gave me all the programming power I could dream of in college. I stayed up till midnight most nights programing the UNIVAC. I wrote games, Lunar Landers, probability games. I learned Assembly Language, and even fixed a bug in the Fortran Compiler for Univac.
04-10-2014, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 05:25 PM by Jonathan Cameron.)
(04-10-2014 04:17 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:39 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  You guys are giving my nostalgia!
-Jonathan
Ahh the good old days. Back in my college days 72-75 I was the first kid on campus to own an HP-35. My teachers wouldn't let me use it on tests, because they thought it gave me an unfair ADVANTAGE over the other students. I still have that original HP-35 and it still works! On tests they made me use my old Picket Slide Rule (which I also still have). I did some favors for one of my teachers, so he gave me unlimited access the the mainframe UNIVAC 1100 computer, which gave me all the programming power I could dream of in college. I stayed up till midnight most
nights programing the UNIVAC. I wrote games, Lunar Landers, probability games. I learned Assembly Language, and even fixed a bug in the Fortran Compiler for Univac.
It is slowly coming back to me! I graduated with my bachelors in '73. I remember learning on a slide rule in Junior College before transferring to Georgia Tech. I still have that slider rule. My first calculator was a TI SR-52. Then later the HP-67. I remember visiting a professors office and watching him use toggle switches to load the boot loader in a PDP-?? and then load a program from paper tape played lunar lander on it. It was a time of huge changes in computation! In my college years I went from slide rule to a glorified 4+ scientific banger (SR-52), and then finally to a real powerhouse, the HP-67. Heady days.

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)