Trying to flash a DM16L just drops me to "SERIAL CONSOLE"
06-14-2017, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 02:55 PM by Dave Britten.)
Trying to flash a DM16L just drops me to "SERIAL CONSOLE"
This is rather odd. I've got a 41L and a 16L. Both were running firmware 22 as of this morning, and I noticed 23 is out now. I backed up, updated, and restored the 41L with no problems.

I backed up the 16L, and when I press the RESET button to try to update it, I just get the boot info, and it drops into "SERIAL CONSOLE". I ran the keyboard test to verify there are no stuck keys, and I've flashed it with new firmwares in the past. Anybody seen this before? I'm flashing from a Windows 10 desktop.

EDIT: Restarting the computer seemed to get it going for some reason. No idea why. Might be that there's some emulated serial control line (DTR? RTS?) in the USB-to-serial chip and associated driver that was "stuck" or something. So if you run into this issue, try rebooting, I guess.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2017, 05:18 PM
RE: Trying to flash a DM16L just drops me to "SERIAL CONSOLE"
(06-14-2017 02:12 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  This is rather odd. I've got a 41L and a 16L. Both were running firmware 22 as of this morning, and I noticed 23 is out now. I backed up, updated, and restored the 41L with no problems.

I backed up the 16L, and when I press the RESET button to try to update it, I just get the boot info, and it drops into "SERIAL CONSOLE". I ran the keyboard test to verify there are no stuck keys, and I've flashed it with new firmwares in the past. Anybody seen this before? I'm flashing from a Windows 10 desktop.

EDIT: Restarting the computer seemed to get it going for some reason. No idea why. Might be that there's some emulated serial control line (DTR? RTS?) in the USB-to-serial chip and associated driver that was "stuck" or something. So if you run into this issue, try rebooting, I guess.

For questions about SwissMicros products, you could try

SwissMicros Forum

They have a lot of great people there who are more than willing to help

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
06-14-2017, 06:53 PM
I saw a notice somewhere on the Swiss Micros web site saying that the "Flashing Procedure" had changed as of version 22 of the firmware.
06-14-2017, 07:25 PM
(06-14-2017 06:53 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I saw a notice somewhere on the Swiss Micros web site saying that the "Flashing Procedure" had changed as of version 22 of the firmware.

Yeah, I kinda remember seeing something about that too (I don't recall how the procedure differs). It was just odd that the 41L worked fine, but the 16L didn't want to play ball until I rebooted the computer, and both were coming from version 22.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-15-2017, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2017 09:06 AM by grsbanks.)
(06-14-2017 07:25 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(06-14-2017 06:53 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I saw a notice somewhere on the Swiss Micros web site saying that the "Flashing Procedure" had changed as of version 22 of the firmware.

Yeah, I kinda remember seeing something about that too (I don't recall how the procedure differs). It was just odd that the 41L worked fine, but the 16L didn't want to play ball until I rebooted the computer, and both were coming from version 22.

There has been no change in the flashing procedure between V22 and V23.

The only visible differences between the two versions are the inclusion of the emulated CPU's "S" register in a dump (hence the new "V11 compatible" checkbox on the Nut decoder page), and the ability to set the system clock via the O/S with a key combo at startup.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)