HP-25C Eumulator
03-20-2016, 01:17 AM
RE: HP-25C Eumulator
(03-20-2016 12:45 AM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  Hi Luigi....I'm using the same pcb layout program that Chris Chung used; Fritzing. It's a nice (free) program, but it's not as powerful as Eagle, Proteus or Altium. I did some poking around in Fritzing and noticed that you can upload "images" for the silkscreen area. I haven't played with this, but there's probably no reason why you couldn't create an image of the HP25 lettering and upload the images, placing them on the proper areas near the buttons and use a black pcb. I'll play around some more with it. If someone on the forum knew where I could get an image of the HP25 function lettering on a flat pdf or PowerPoint file, I may be able to capture those and imbed them into the Gerber file for the NP25. No promises....I do have a regular day job and this is just a hobby for me. ;-)
~ Jim J. ~

(03-19-2016 09:36 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  Thanks Jim for your prompt reply.
I thought PCB manufacturers allowed to provide the silkscreen as a bitmap.
I have been browsing some Web pages, and it seems white text on black background has no real benefit over the black-on-white option. It must be just my personal preference.

You have to read the very beginning of this thread. That was when I was trying to overlay an image as silkscreen. The PCB fabricator failed on the print. You can see the failed board on the 2nd reply (3rd post on this thread).

As Jim explained. Fritzing is an entry level layout program and there are many limitations. The font offered are fixed and there are not many hi-ascii icons to use. The image overlay method, although supported, fail upon fabrication. I am using someone familiar w/ eagle can improve on it. Again the NP-25 is more or less end of life as the bubble LEDs are exhausting.

I had tried white on black PCB on the 1st prototype NP41, you can found an image in that thread. Black on white in my opinion is most readable. Although sometimes I like the class white on green, which has a retro look.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 03:28 AM
(03-19-2016 12:13 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  Hi Luigi,
I'm the "caretaker" for the NP25 project. Chris left it as an open project so I am ordering parts and assembling the NP25's. I certainly can order black pcb's with white lettering if there is interest. I think the font is rather limited on what some of the pcb manufacturers can do. I can explore that further. I think Chris has addressed fonts in an earlier thread. Chris may want to chime in with his experience.
Cheers!
Jim J.
(03-19-2016 11:00 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  Hi Chris,
First of all, congratulations for the great job you have done, the NP25C seems to be the most competitive RPN calculator in price terms, doesn't it?
Have you ever thought about having white letters over a black silkscreen background? IMHO, it could improve legibility and 'cosmetics'. Although the latter is a subjective point, such a black NP25C would get a closer look to the HP25C.
Bedides, what about a font type à la HP25C?
Sorry if I have missed any discussions/posts about these points in the forum.

Hi Jim j,

I sent you a PM you may have missed. I'm interested in buying an assemble NP25 unit. Please let me know how to proceed.

Anders
04-09-2016, 10:39 AM
(04-09-2016 03:28 AM)Anders Wrote:  
(03-19-2016 12:13 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  Hi Luigi,
I'm the "caretaker" for the NP25 project. Chris left it as an open project so I am ordering parts and assembling the NP25's. I certainly can order black pcb's with white lettering if there is interest. I think the font is rather limited on what some of the pcb manufacturers can do. I can explore that further. I think Chris has addressed fonts in an earlier thread. Chris may want to chime in with his experience.
Cheers!
Jim J.

Hi Jim j,

I sent you a PM you may have missed. I'm interested in buying an assemble NP25 unit. Please let me know how to proceed.

Anders
Hi Anders...I apologize....I've been traveling for a few days and haven't checked this list since Wednesday. I'm back and have replied to sending you a new NP25.
Cheers! Jim
08-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Hi Jim (jjohnson873),
I just discovered this amazing project last night. Brilliant!
I have a small collection of HP calculators and would love to own the amazing NP-25.
I hope you still have some kits left...
Would it be possible to order 2 kits (Not Assembled).
I'm thinking of one full kit (with the LEDs) and one kit (without LEDs):
- one full kit: PCB, chips, switches, LEDs
- one partial kit: PCB, chips, switches, NO LEDs

I may consider purchasing three kits, but let's see if these parts are available.
What would be the total with shipping to Canada?
Thanks!
Andrew

HP21, 25, 31E, 33E, 45, 55, 67, 97
08-05-2016, 10:46 PM
(08-05-2016 05:19 PM)B3Whisperer Wrote:  Hi Jim (jjohnson873),
I just discovered this amazing project last night. Brilliant!
I have a small collection of HP calculators and would love to own the amazing NP-25.
I hope you still have some kits left...
Would it be possible to order 2 kits (Not Assembled).
I'm thinking of one full kit (with the LEDs) and one kit (without LEDs):
- one full kit: PCB, chips, switches, LEDs
- one partial kit: PCB, chips, switches, NO LEDs

I may consider purchasing three kits, but let's see if these parts are available.
What would be the total with shipping to Canada?
Thanks!
Andrew
Hi Andrew....YES! I have NP-25 kits and assembled units available. I'll figure up a price for 2 kits, one with and one without the HP LEDs and let you know. I usually charge $8.00USD for shipping outside the U.S. for one kit. I'll figure the combined kit shipping charges. It should be minimal.
Cheers!
Jim J.
08-17-2016, 04:21 AM
Hi Jim, I received the kits this afternoon.
They are simply beautiful, everything exceeded my expectations. I will start assembling them as soon as I have a free evening.
Thanks so much for the kits and your contribution to this great project.
Cheers!
Andrew

09-16-2016, 05:14 AM
Hi Jim, I have received the new, black pcb NP-25 kit.
It does look great and the quality of all parts is amazing!
Thanks so much,
Andrew

09-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Andrew, I would be grateful, if you could take&post a picture of your black-PCB NP25, once you finish your new proudly-made-in-Canada calc :0)

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Hello Luigi:
Yes, I will post pics of the new, black NP-25. I'm at the HHC2016 Conference in Fort Collins so it will be a few days before I can return and build an assembled unit. :-)
Cheers....Jim J.

(09-18-2016 09:09 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  Andrew, I would be grateful, if you could take&post a picture of your black-PCB NP25, once you finish your new proudly-made-in-Canada calc :0)
10-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Just discovered this thread and would love to see pics of the black np 25!
10-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Finally have some time to post a pic of the black, NP25. Sorry for the delay but work has encroached on my hobby. ;-) This pic shows both the white and black versions.
~ Jim ~

(10-19-2016 06:08 PM)revwillie Wrote:  Just discovered this thread and would love to see pics of the black np 25!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-18-2016, 03:50 PM
In case you're at a loss for a last minute Christmas gift....I do have a few of the NP-25 kits left (black or white pcb's). My supply of the HP QDSP-6064 displays is quickly dwindling. Last time I checked, these "new-old stock" displays were going for over $6-$10 each, when you could find them...and there are three (3) per kit! I've limited selling these kits to the HP Museum forum only since I feel as if the participants on this forum can appreciate the NP-25 calculator.

Contact me for pricing. I have not increased the price at this time. Assembled versions may take a bit longer to assemble and ship. The assembled price is slightly higher due to the time and effort to clean the pcb after assembly.
Cheers! ~ Jim ~

(10-23-2016 12:51 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  Finally have some time to post a pic of the black, NP25. Sorry for the delay but work has encroached on my hobby. ;-) This pic shows both the white and black versions.
~ Jim ~

(10-19-2016 06:08 PM)revwillie Wrote:  Just discovered this thread and would love to see pics of the black np 25!
12-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Hello Jim,
the black one looks really good.I'd be interested to get a kit. Is it still available? If yes, what would be the price including shipping cost to Germany?
Regards
Bernd
12-29-2016, 12:54 AM
(12-28-2016 09:38 PM)Bernd Grubert Wrote:  Hello Jim,
the black one looks really good.I'd be interested to get a kit. Is it still available? If yes, what would be the price including shipping cost to Germany?
Regards
Bernd

Hi Bernd...YES! I have kits left. The kits are $30.00 USD each plus a flat $8.00USD international shipping charge. Total payment to my PayPal account at jjohnson873@yahoo.com would be $38.00 USD.
Please include your address with your PayPal payment. Also, please send me a PM with your mailing address. Sometimes PayPal doesn't record the mailing address properly.
Cheers!
Jim J.
12-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Hello Jim,
Payment and PM sent.

Thank you very much
Bernd
03-15-2017, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2017 02:11 PM by Helix.)
I've received my new black NP-25.
Thank you Jim!

With its shiny PCB and high contrast markings, it is really beautiful.

[Image: 1703150330175864614919997.jpg]

Jean-Charles
04-03-2017, 10:00 PM
I got mine a week ago and built it immediately. Carrying it around my pocket I somehow snapped the square plastic knob off the power switch, so I replaced it with a beefier one salvaged from an old circuit board in a junk box. Even so, I think the on/off switch remains a weak point, and I'm probably going to re-wire it to a screwed-down switch on the case. When I get a case.

Other than that, there were no build problems, no solder problems, or anything like that. It all went together just like it was supposed to.

Many thanks to everyone who helped put this together. It's been a real treat coming in at the tail end and benefiting from all your dedication.

Meanwhile, here's a shot of my build, with the beefed-up power switch. Underneath is a little pythagorean theorem lesson I was giving the kids, with the help of RPN.

[Image: rF9OSB.jpg]
04-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Mine arrived this afternoon. Thank you!

[Image: NP-25_zpsxdlmxhwf.jpg]
04-20-2017, 04:03 AM
Here is mine.

I discovered that if I file off corners just a little bit, it fits in the Altoids tin.

I thought it would not matter, but it seriously bothers me that registers are not preserved. I know it saves programs for hp25 and hp33 separately, but is there enough room to save full state of the "default" rom if you sacrifice the "other" program memory? I do not think I want to switch between them too often, but when I am using one of them I would prefer to have complete state saved for it and do not care about the other.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-20-2017, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 05:08 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(04-20-2017 04:03 AM)nsg Wrote:  I thought it would not matter, but it seriously bothers me that registers are not preserved.

I don't care much about the registers, but I'd like the display mode being kept. Is it preserved on the real HP-25C?

Nice overlays! Colors are really important.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)