HP-71 Compu-LS module
03-14-2017, 03:47 PM
RE: HP-71 Compu-LS module
(03-12-2017 09:40 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  As Dave told earlier, some ROM's are protected. This ROM's cannot be read with the build in PEEK$ command. To fix this, replace the internal POKE and PEEK$ command by installing the POKELEX file. This replace the POKE and PEEK$ commands by a version don't care about any protections.

Seems I overlooked this detail as I usually have the FRAM71 Toolkit installed which includes DESAL LEX and unrestricted PEEK$/POKE commands.

Perhaps this should be added to the Emu71/Win manual.

(03-12-2017 09:40 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  Finally, there's an easier method in Emu71/Win to add an IRAM image to the memory configuration

Referring to the Emu71/Win manual 9.1.1.2.2 Combo box "Size"

you can choose "Datafile" at top of the RAM size list instead of choosing the RAM size itself and enter the name IRAM image name EPROM.bin in the Filename section. This creates a RAM module with the neceassary size from the IRAM image and finally load the image into the allocated memory.

This replace the steps

b. Edit the Port Configuration and add a 64K RAM module to Port1.
c. Turn on the emulator and execute FREEPORT(1) to create an IRAM.
e. Open then Port Configuration window for Port1, select the RAM device and right-click.
f. Select Load Memory Data... and open EPROM.bin

Nice! Why didn't I see this before? Maybe because the option is under the Size selection. Would adding an IRAM option to the Module Type make more sense?

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2017, 12:53 AM
(03-14-2017 03:47 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Nice! Why didn't I see this before? Maybe because the option is under the Size selection. Would adding an IRAM option to the Module Type make more sense?

I agree, nice! I never noticed it before either, and have been using the same (longer) process you mentioned. So, off to the manual, where it is explained in detail as follows:

Quote:A special case is the "Datafile" selection. Some of the larger 3rd party RAM modules have a backup battery allowing to remove the RAM module without memory loss for the case that all ports in the module are configured as independent RAM. To "plug" such a RAM module into the emulator session you must have a file image of the RAM content. When you select "Datafile" the edit field "Filename" is enabled. Here you can enter the RAM image filename. At port configuration dialog exit, the RAM content is filled with the data from the RAM image file. The original RAM image file will be untouched. The file format of independent RAM ports is compatible with the port RAM files of the "Emu71 for DOS" emulator.

I added the italics about the original image being untouched.

Christoph - Does this mean that if I load an IRAM this way, and then make subsequent changes to the IRAM, those changes are not made to the original Datafile, but only to the local copy currently loaded in EMU71 IRAM?

If so, then to save that changed copy, I could ROMCOPY it to media, then copy that .ROM file to DOSLINK (or, can one ROMCOPY directly to DOSLINK?) ?

--Bob Prosperi
03-15-2017, 01:35 AM
(03-15-2017 12:53 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  If so, then to save that changed copy, I could ROMCOPY it to media, then copy that .ROM file to DOSLINK (or, can one ROMCOPY directly to DOSLINK?) ?

Or you could right-click on the module in Port Configuration and select Save Memory Data...
03-15-2017, 06:53 PM
(03-15-2017 12:53 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Christoph - Does this mean that if I load an IRAM this way, and then make subsequent changes to the IRAM, those changes are not made to the original Datafile, but only to the local copy currently loaded in EMU71 IRAM?

This does it mean.

It was an early design decision, the RAM content is saved in the Emu71 state file, whereas ROM is saved in separate files. The reason for this, I don't wanted to add copyrighted material (ROM images) to the state file so that customers can share them without copyright violation.

(03-15-2017 01:35 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(03-15-2017 12:53 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  If so, then to save that changed copy, I could ROMCOPY it to media, then copy that .ROM file to DOSLINK (or, can one ROMCOPY directly to DOSLINK?) ?

Or you could right-click on the module in Port Configuration and select Save Memory Data...

That's the way I also suggest.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2017, 12:17 AM
(03-15-2017 06:53 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  
(03-15-2017 01:35 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Or you could right-click on the module in Port Configuration and select Save Memory Data...

That's the way I also suggest.

Thanks Christoph (and Dave). Another stealth feature in EMU71/Win is revealed, and very useful it is.

--Bob Prosperi
03-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Hi Dave/Christopf/JF

The PIL-BOX is up and running but I still have lots of questions. I am using win7 32 bit in a VMware virtual machine for Ilper\Emu71/Win. I understand that 64 bit OS is not possible?.

When I try to run EMU_71 (windows version) I get the error message shown in the attachment.

Dave, you say in your instructions:
"Dump the EPROM using the procedure in the Emu71/Win manual"
are you referring to "3.ROM Images" in the manual?

Christopf says:
"Insert this information into the ROMDMP BASIC program"
I have used the following code with"COMPU" in the place of "JPCF05":

10 DIM A$[64]
20 A=IP(HTD(ADDR$("JPCF05"))/256)*256 ! start address of JPC ROM to transfer
30 FOR I=0 TO 32*32-1 ! length of ROM (here for 32Kb)
40 A$=PEEK$(DTH$(A+I*64),64)
50 OUTPUT :1 ;A$
60 NEXT I

I get an error line 40: file protect?

At first I used the code out of the manual under "3 Rom Images" and that worked in Ilper!
A stream of hex codes was being produced in the Ilper screen until I cancelled the program

What must I do to get past the file protection?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-19-2017, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 06:12 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(03-19-2017 05:13 PM)twa14 Wrote:  Hi Dave/Christopf/JF

The PIL-BOX is up and running but I still have lots of questions. I am using win7 32 bit in a VMware virtual machine for Ilper\Emu71/Win. I understand that 64 bit OS is not possible?.

When I try to run EMU_71 (windows version) I get the error message shown in the attachment.

The Emu71Win installation does not include the system ROM image, nor any of the optional images. You'll need to download any ROM images of interest from Sylvain's HP-71B Compendium.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5286.html

Extract HP-71B_OS2CDCC_ROM.BIN from HP-71B_SYSTEM.ZIP, copy the file to the installation directory for Emu71, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\HP-Emulators\Emu71, and rename the image to match the one specified in the KML file, HP71B.ROM.

See sections 4 and 5 of the Emu71/Win manual.
http://hp.giesselink.com/Emu71/EMU71.HTM

(03-19-2017 05:13 PM)twa14 Wrote:  Dave, you say in your instructions:
"Dump the EPROM using the procedure in the Emu71/Win manual"
are you referring to "3.ROM Images" in the manual?

Precisely. ROM's and EPROM's are treated the same.

(03-19-2017 05:13 PM)twa14 Wrote:  Christopf says:
"Insert this information into the ROMDMP BASIC program"
I have used the following code with"COMPU" in the place of "JPCF05":

10 DIM A$[64]
20 A=IP(HTD(ADDR$("JPCF05"))/256)*256 ! start address of JPC ROM to transfer
30 FOR I=0 TO 32*32-1 ! length of ROM (here for 32Kb)
40 A$=PEEK$(DTH$(A+I*64),64)
50 OUTPUT :1 ;A$
60 NEXT I

I get an error line 40: file protect?

At first I used the code out of the manual under "3 Rom Images" and that worked in Ilper!
A stream of hex codes was being produced in the Ilper screen until I cancelled the program

What must I do to get past the file protection?

The file at the address you're PEEK$ing is protected. The solution is to install a LEX file that provides an unrestricted PEEK$/POKE instructions. JPCF05 and DESAL are two examples. JPCF05 needs to be installed, either as a ROM or LEX file.

HTH, Dave
03-19-2017, 07:57 PM
(03-19-2017 06:10 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  You'll need to download any ROM images of interest from Sylvain's HP-71B Compendium.

I just realized that DropBox changed their rules 4 days ago, the public folder is no longer supported and thus the files are no longer available. Sad
I am looking for an alternative and will be back soon, sorry about that.
Sylvain
03-19-2017, 08:52 PM
(03-19-2017 07:57 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(03-19-2017 06:10 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  You'll need to download any ROM images of interest from Sylvain's HP-71B Compendium.

I just realized that DropBox changed their rules 4 days ago, the public folder is no longer supported and thus the files are no longer available. Sad
I am looking for an alternative and will be back soon, sorry about that.
Sylvain

hehehe, I had the same problem 3 days ago Smile I was called by some people minutes after the changes were made.
03-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Hi Dave

In accordance with Christophs instructions above I loaded "A lif image with ROMCOPY,POKELEX AND ROMDMP into the 71 via Ilper and the PIL-BOX.If I understand correctly the POKELEX file also contains a PEEK$ LEX file. These 3 files are in 71b ram, does the program above call these or the 71b internal PEEK\POKE?. I'm thrashing around here, sorry my knowledge has become extremely hazy.

As for EM71/win, no luck, what should the HP-71B_OS2CDCC_ROM.BIN file be called, I have the ROM's. I placed this file in the installation directory and tried many different variations on the name without effect. Same error message. I installed EMU71/Win using the setup program.
03-19-2017, 11:52 PM
(03-19-2017 08:52 PM)twa14 Wrote:  Hi Dave

In accordance with Christophs instructions above I loaded "A lif image with ROMCOPY,POKELEX AND ROMDMP into the 71 via Ilper and the PIL-BOX.If I understand correctly the POKELEX file also contains a PEEK$ LEX file. These 3 files are in 71b ram, does the program above call these or the 71b internal PEEK\POKE?. I'm thrashing around here, sorry my knowledge has become extremely hazy.

As for EM71/win, no luck, what should the HP-71B_OS2CDCC_ROM.BIN file be called, I have the ROM's. I placed this file in the installation directory and tried many different variations on the name without effect. Same error message. I installed EMU71/Win using the setup program.

The PEEK and POKE commands in the LEX file supersede the built-in commands, and therefore provide versions that are not limited by file protection. However you need to edit/re-enter all the BASIC lines in programs which contain these commands in any programs that existed prior to installing the LEX file, as those programs were internally 'compiled' with the OS command tokens, and editing them (retype them exactly as they were) will update the tokens to use the new LEX file versions.

The correct ROM filename for EMU71/Win is HP71B.rom, and you will also need HPILROM.bin (to the OS, this 'looks like' a plug-in ROM, different from the OS ROM, which is why they have different file types).

No need to apologize, you're making good progress!

Isn't the PIL-Box (with ILPER/pyILPer) awesome?!

--Bob Prosperi
03-20-2017, 08:13 AM
(03-19-2017 11:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The PEEK and POKE commands in the LEX file supersede the built-in commands, and therefore provide versions that are not limited by file protection. However you need to edit/re-enter all the BASIC lines in programs which contain these commands in any programs that existed prior to installing the LEX file, as those programs were internally 'compiled' with the OS command tokens, and editing them (retype them exactly as they were) will update the tokens to use the new LEX file versions.

There is no need to edit/re-enter the BASIC lines with the PEEK/POKE. The tokens are the same, the LEX really takes over the built-in commands.

J-F
03-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Hi Bob

Thanks for your input, EMU71/Win is working!! following your tips, many thanks. It was also your previous posts to "MattiMark" that helped greatly with Ilper. Now for the last step, my "COMPU" ROM and making an image of it. My 71b has nothing in main ram besides the Lexfl1.lif Lexfile which I understand contains the required PEEK\POKE files. I tried first with Christopf's ROMDMP template which gave the same error "protect" message on the 71B. Is there some kind of CAT command which will enable me to see the Lexfiles in main memory? I see that Christopf has used a "PCAT :HD" command above in his reply to Dave Frederickson. When I try that on my 71B I get an "excess characters" message. I see that JF Garnier has joined in, so I'll take the oppurtunity to say thanks for the PIL-BOX, great product. If I was buying again I would also send you the HP-IL cable and ask you to do the soldering! I have never done any soldering on a PCB and would be afraid of the consequences if I start now!. One last point, EMU71/win is working on my win10x64 machine. I was under the impression that only a 32bit OS was possible? is the 32bit applicable only to Ilper\PIL-BOX?
03-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Just discovered CAT:MAIN !!? sorry it has been a long time since I used the machine. I have the ROMCOPY lex in main memory (provided by Christoph) and I have the basic file "ROMDUMP" which is also provided by Christoph. I have changed "JPCF05" to "COMPU" . I understand that the required PEEK\POKE are in ROMCOPY? I see no reference to the LexFl1 lexfile which I mentioned above?
03-20-2017, 09:48 AM
PCAT is a command from the JPC-ROM, use CAT instead.

The default drive names of ILPer are :HP9114B or :HDRIVE1, short :HP for :HP9114B or :HD for :HDRIVE1.

So a CAT :HD show the content of HDRIVE1. When you now use ROMTOOL.DAT as filename for HDRIVE1 you can copy POKELEX with

RESTORE IO
COPY POKELEX:HD

to your HP71. Don't forget to power cycle your HP71 to install the POKELEX file.

ROMCOPY is a special program/command originally created to support 3rd party ROM manufacturer for building and testing their own ROM's in the 80ies. ROMCOPY got a revival with the existance of FRAM71.

But ROMCOPY is not a duplicate program, I remenbering some mail discussions with Bob some years ago, about the chechsum options and how they modified the original code.

To get an exact copy of the ROM image use the ROMDMP BASIC program in connection with the installed POLELEX file.
03-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks Christoph, almost there. I managed to install POKELEX and run ROMDMP. It ran in ILper for about 35 minutes and seemed to be ok but I can't find the output file? The module is called "COMPU" and when I check the cat it is listed as "COMPU P BASIC 32632" followed by "KEYWAIT LEX 55" . On the basis of this I changed the name on your ROMDMP Basic program from "JPCF05" to "COMPU" and ran the program. No error messages this time, so where could the output file be?
03-20-2017, 01:14 PM
(03-20-2017 12:39 PM)twa14 Wrote:  Thanks Christoph, almost there. I managed to install POKELEX and run ROMDMP. It ran in ILper for about 35 minutes and seemed to be ok but I can't find the output file? The module is called "COMPU" and when I check the cat it is listed as "COMPU P BASIC 32632" followed by "KEYWAIT LEX 55" . On the basis of this I changed the name on your ROMDMP Basic program from "JPCF05" to "COMPU" and ran the program. No error messages this time, so where could the output file be?

There is no output file, per se. The idea of the program is that it copies the bytes of the ROM to the virtual display in ILPer, where they are captured in the display area. Once the program completes, on the PC you copy all of the lines of the dumped bytes (but only those lines) and paste them into a text editor to save to PC hard disk (e.g. COMPU.ROM), and then you can use the utility mentioned in the procedure Dave gave you to convert it from ASCII characters to the proper binary format, which is then copied into a new (or existing) .lif file, which you mount in ILPer. Then, you can use ROMCOPY to copy that binary file into an IRAM of the same size, something like ROMCOPY COMPU:HDRIVE1 TO :PORT(2).

--Bob Prosperi
03-20-2017, 01:17 PM
(03-20-2017 08:13 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(03-19-2017 11:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The PEEK and POKE commands in the LEX file supersede the built-in commands, and therefore provide versions that are not limited by file protection. However you need to edit/re-enter all the BASIC lines in programs which contain these commands in any programs that existed prior to installing the LEX file, as those programs were internally 'compiled' with the OS command tokens, and editing them (retype them exactly as they were) will update the tokens to use the new LEX file versions.

There is no need to edit/re-enter the BASIC lines with the PEEK/POKE. The tokens are the same, the LEX really takes over the built-in commands.

J-F

Thanks for correcting me on this J-F, for this LEX file. On some LEX files, the LEX IDs are different than others, and if you've typed-in a program with LEX1 installed, and then replace LEX1 with LEX2 which uses the same keywords, it's possible they use different LEX IDs, so the above procedure fixes that.

But not here.

--Bob Prosperi
03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Hi Tom,

(03-20-2017 01:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 12:39 PM)twa14 Wrote:  Thanks Christoph, almost there. I managed to install POKELEX and run ROMDMP. It ran in ILper for about 35 minutes and seemed to be ok but I can't find the output file? The module is called "COMPU" and when I check the cat it is listed as "COMPU P BASIC 32632" followed by "KEYWAIT LEX 55" . On the basis of this I changed the name on your ROMDMP Basic program from "JPCF05" to "COMPU" and ran the program. No error messages this time, so where could the output file be?

There is no output file, per se. The idea of the program is that it copies the bytes of the ROM to the virtual display in ILPer, where they are captured in the display area. Once the program completes, on the PC you copy all of the lines of the dumped bytes (but only those lines) and paste them into a text editor to save to PC hard disk (e.g. COMPU.ROM), and then you can use the utility mentioned in the procedure Dave gave you to convert it from ASCII characters to the proper binary format, which is then copied into a new (or existing) .lif file, which you mount in ILPer. Then, you can use ROMCOPY to copy that binary file into an IRAM of the same size, something like ROMCOPY COMPU:HDRIVE1 TO :PORT(2).

Note that the binary image of the ROM can be loaded into Emu71/Win using the Port Configuration menu. However, to be able to ROMCOPY the image into an IRAM will require copying the file to a LIF disc image, which is not an obvious task.
Refer to [FRAM71] Pre-Production Batch, Post #2,
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-251...l#pid22721
for one technique of doing so.

Speaking of FRAM71, if you find the 71B fun, consider obtaining a FRAM71 module. Some latecomers were still able to purchase a module from the last batch.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5437.html

Dave
03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
I have the text file (see attachment) thanks Bob, now I"ll follow Dave's instructions.

Attached File(s)
.txt  COMPU.txt (Size: 66 KB / Downloads: 16)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)