Best calculator for the working engineer
02-27-2016, 11:26 PM
RE: Best calculator for the working engineer
For work, mostly Free42 on my iPhone and a 15C. The 15C solver is nice for formulas that are not easily manipulated. Both are nice for their ease of programming, although the 42 is easier (obviously) to debug.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2016, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 09:25 PM by Csaba Tizedes.)
Sorry guys and thank you for your patience - I hope nobody is disappointed in me.
According to Voldemar's unbelief, I collected some examples.
Later I think that it is useful and more clear if I write down the full story of this solver.

The link for the doc:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AqWV7...sp=sharing

You must to know, English is not my native and I have no any knowledge about grammar... Smile

I'm waiting for the valuable feedbacks - because this is really a homebrew solver by/for myself.

Csaba
03-08-2016, 12:26 PM
I feel myself so stupid - may my Note is laughable?! Sad
Just for clarification: for my job I use a HP35s of course - I'm not a fool... Wink

Csaba
03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
(02-27-2016 11:25 PM)John Smitherman Wrote:  i'm streaming a Rugby match between Brazil and the USA. I have no idea when the match was played - the broadcast is in Spanish. It's a good match so far - BR 6 US 0.

Cheers,

John

Looks like you were watching a live match:

http://youtu.be/MxufRTb0Ito

According to the video this was the first rugby match ever between Brazil and USA. I don't remember it being broadcast here. I don't understand the rules, but the last minute is worth watching :-)

Thanks for posting!

Gerson.
03-08-2016, 02:01 PM
(03-08-2016 01:20 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  ...the last minute is worth watching

Gerson - As my son plays Rugby and I've come to appreciate the game more, I thought I would watch, expecting to see something exciting. Alas, it's far less exciting to watch as an American...

--Bob Prosperi
03-08-2016, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 02:36 PM by Jlouis.)
I don't know why, it reminded me Germany 7 x 1 Brazil, in our home, soccer world cup....

I didn't even know that rugby was played in Brazil...
03-08-2016, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 03:24 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(03-08-2016 02:33 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I don't know why, it reminded me Germany 7 x 1 Brazil, in our home, soccer world cup....

I'd already forgotten about that, but you have reminded me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :-(

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1783.html

I've particularly liked Walter's comment there (Ui, ui, ui, 5 x 0 em meia hora! Adeus, Brasil...). Quite appropriate!

P.S.: I tried to find an HP-15C, an HP calculator, a TI calculator, whatever calculator in the video in order to bring this back on topic, but I haven't found any. I don't intend to go out on vacations now :-)
03-08-2016, 03:38 PM
(03-08-2016 03:23 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 02:33 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I don't know why, it reminded me Germany 7 x 1 Brazil, in our home, soccer world cup....

I'd already forgotten about that, but you have reminded me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :-(

I've particularly liked Walter's comment there (Ui, ui, ui, 5 x 0 em meia hora! Adeus, Brasil...). Quite appropriate!

P.S.: I tried to find an HP-15C, an HP calculator, a TI calculator, whatever calculator in the video in order to bring this back on topic, but I haven't found any. I don't intend to go out on vacations now :-)

Sorry Gerson, It was not my intention...we have to forget indeed! No talk more about it...
03-08-2016, 04:54 PM
(03-08-2016 03:38 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 03:23 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I'd already forgotten about that, but you have reminded me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :-(

Sorry Gerson, It was not my intention...we have to forget indeed! No talk more about it...

Just kidding, Jlouis. Actually, that is something we should never forget along with other much more important things.

Um abraço,

Gerson.
03-08-2016, 06:46 PM
(03-08-2016 12:26 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  I feel myself so stupid - may my Note is laughable?! Sad
Just for clarification: for my job I use a HP35s of course - I'm not a fool... Wink

Csaba

Not stupid at all - thank you fou sharing!
03-08-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm surprised the 50g doesn't receive more attention. Talking about an engineer job the UOM implemetation as well as the MES are definitive features. Nobody using that in the real life?
03-08-2016, 09:49 PM
(03-06-2016 11:34 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  Sorry guys and thank you for your patience - I hope nobody is disappointed in me.
According to Voldemar's unbelief, I collected some examples.
Later I think that it is useful and more clear if I write down the full story of this solver.

The link for the doc:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AqWV7...sp=sharing

You must to know, English is not my native and I have no any knowledge about grammar... Smile

I'm waiting for the valuable feedbacks - because this is really a homebrew solver by/for myself.

Csaba
I have a lack of time now. I will read your notes. Those are interesting and useful. Thank You for sharing.
03-08-2016, 10:35 PM
(03-08-2016 08:47 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I'm surprised the 50g doesn't receive more attention. Talking about an engineer job the UOM implemetation as well as the MES are definitive features. Nobody using that in the real life?

I think most working engineers prefer the scientific kind. When things get more involved, a computer is usually within reach.
03-08-2016, 11:32 PM
(03-08-2016 10:35 PM)Marcio Wrote:  I think most working engineers prefer the scientific kind. When things get more involved, a computer is usually within reach.
Yes, it is. I have had some graphic calculators. I use them mostly as a programmable scientific calculators, graphics capabilities in the calculator is not important for me. Only graphic calculators have more opportunities for programming.
03-09-2016, 12:59 AM
(03-08-2016 01:20 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  
(02-27-2016 11:25 PM)John Smitherman Wrote:  i'm streaming a Rugby match between Brazil and the USA. I have no idea when the match was played - the broadcast is in Spanish. It's a good match so far - BR 6 US 0.

Cheers,

John

Looks like you were watching a live match:

http://youtu.be/MxufRTb0Ito

According to the video this was the first rugby match ever between Brazil and USA. I don't remember it being broadcast here. I don't understand the rules, but the last minute is worth watching :-)

Thanks for posting!

Gerson.

Yes, I finally determined that it was a live match.

Brazil jumped out to a big lead and then the US caught up and went ahead. Brazil scored at the end of the match for the win. Overall, a very good match - good athletes and good sportsmanship on both sides.

Rugby - a hooligan's sport played by gentlemen.

Football - a gentlemen's sport played by hooligans.

http://imgur.com/gallery/egIQS

John
03-09-2016, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 02:46 AM by Jlouis.)
As for those images, I will start to watch more rugby.

Look that girl pulling and striking other girl by the hair....jeez....

I like American football, don't know if it relates.

And I am away from soccer, don't need to ask why.

Cheers

JL
03-10-2016, 03:02 AM
(03-08-2016 08:47 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I'm surprised the 50g doesn't receive more attention. Talking about an engineer job the UOM implemetation as well as the MES are definitive features. Nobody using that in the real life?

50g is always on my desk for the two exact reasons you mention. If the prime gets an update to have a useable unit system and true MES then I can clear the 50g to the rest of the collection.
03-11-2016, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 08:00 PM by Tugdual.)
(03-10-2016 03:02 AM)ndzied1 Wrote:  

50g is always on my desk for the two exact reasons you mention. If the prime gets an update to have a useable unit system and true MES then I can clear the 50g to the rest of the collection.
May be not directly related to engineering work, but I would also miss integers with infinite number of digits. 50g is pretty unique.
If only we could have a Prime special edition with a revamped black keyboard and case that would emulate the 50g (or the 48g since the 50g is already an emulator).
03-11-2016, 09:36 PM
(03-11-2016 07:53 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  May be not directly related to engineering work, but I would also miss integers with infinite number of digits. 50g is pretty unique.

Prime supports infinite-length integers in CAS view, just like the 50g in exact mode, with the biggest difference being speed. The 50g returns the exact answer (2367 digits long) for 999^789 in 15 seconds. Prime returns the same result in 0.0009 seconds. Smile

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2016, 11:43 PM
(03-11-2016 09:36 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 07:53 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  May be not directly related to engineering work, but I would also miss integers with infinite number of digits. 50g is pretty unique.

Prime supports infinite-length integers in CAS view, just like the 50g in exact mode, with the biggest difference being speed. The 50g returns the exact answer (2367 digits long) for 999^789 in 15 seconds. Prime returns the same result in 0.0009 seconds. Smile
And still I sold my Prime for a 50g...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)