Took the plunge (DM-**L)
02-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Took the plunge (DM-**L)
Just broke down and ordered a 16L and 41L this morning.

Apologies if I've missed this detail somewhere, but does the 41L allow for loading ROM modules via USB, and if not, are there plans to support this in future firmware releases? Having the Advantage ROM on there (not to mention all the recent homebrew "ROMs") would be pretty cool.

Here's hoping they do a 42L at some point. I'd be in for at least two of those, assuming these ones live up to usability/durability expectations.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: Took the plunge (DM-**L)
42L is what I'm waiting for!
Find all posts by this user
02-19-2016, 03:59 PM
(02-19-2016 03:48 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  42L is what I'm waiting for!

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the current dot matrix LCD they're using would handle at least the 131x16 of the 42S. They could just port Free42 to some embedded platform (perhaps the one already in use), slap it in the same shell with appropriate key labels, and I'd be in heaven.
02-19-2016, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 04:42 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(02-19-2016 03:59 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 03:48 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  42L is what I'm waiting for!

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the current dot matrix LCD they're using would handle at least the 131x16 of the 42S. They could just port Free42 to some embedded platform (perhaps the one already in use), slap it in the same shell with appropriate key labels, and I'd be in heaven.

I believe that Thomas didn't write Free42 with memory constrains in mind since it freely allocates memory as needed (at least that's what I remember from a few years ago).

And, please, not another landscape! ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
02-19-2016, 05:41 PM
(02-19-2016 04:40 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I believe that Thomas didn't write Free42 with memory constrains in mind since it freely allocates memory as needed (at least that's what I remember from a few years ago).

Yeah, I'm sure it expects at the very least a full stdlib, but considering there's a Palm OS port that will run on a Palm III with no more than 2 MB of RAM, I have to imagine the space constraints wouldn't be a big hurdle with today's embedded SOCs. Something comparable to an Arduino Due could probably handle it just fine (though without the many mega/gigabytes of program space that the iPhone version affords you).

(02-19-2016 04:40 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  And, please, not another landscape! Wink

Agreed, but I'll take a great landscape over an iffy portrait any day. I'd probably just be using my WP-34S on my desk if the 30b keyboard weren't so poor.
02-19-2016, 06:23 PM
(02-19-2016 06:15 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  https://youtu.be/314JMYJEh6k

Yep, just got mail... :D

Oh well, I stand corrected!

Damn! Another landscape. Grrrrr... :(

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-19-2016, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 06:31 PM by Steve Simpkin.)
(02-19-2016 05:41 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 04:40 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I believe that Thomas didn't write Free42 with memory constrains in mind since it freely allocates memory as needed (at least that's what I remember from a few years ago).
Yeah, I'm sure it expects at the very least a full stdlib, but considering there's a Palm OS port that will run on a Palm III with no more than 2 MB of RAM, I have to imagine the space constraints wouldn't be a big hurdle with today's embedded SOCs. Something comparable to an Arduino Due could probably handle it just fine (though without the many mega/gigabytes of program space that the iPhone version affords you).

The LPC1115 ARM micro-controller used in the DM-41L only has 64KB of Flash and 8KB or RAM. I would have thought porting Free42 to that controller may not be possible. I wonder if they are using a different controller for the upcoming DM-42L?
02-19-2016, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 06:48 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(02-19-2016 06:26 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 05:41 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Yeah, I'm sure it expects at the very least a full stdlib, but considering there's a Palm OS port that will run on a Palm III with no more than 2 MB of RAM, I have to imagine the space constraints wouldn't be a big hurdle with today's embedded SOCs. Something comparable to an Arduino Due could probably handle it just fine (though without the many mega/gigabytes of program space that the iPhone version affords you).

The LPC1115 ARM micro-controller used in the DM-41L only has 64KB of Flash and 8KB or RAM. I would have thought porting Free42 to that controller may not be possible. I wonder if they are using a different controller for the upcoming DM-42L?

from Michael's e-mail:
It runs on a single CR2032 battery. The total current consumption of the ARM Cortex-M4 CPU running at 26MHz and its LCD is less than 3mA, but most of the time it's idle consuming only about 130uA.

Intel® Decimal Floating-Point Math Library, IEEE 754-2008 quadruple precision decimal floating-point, 34 decimal digits of precision, with exponents ranging from -6143 to +6144.

Whoa!

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-19-2016, 07:06 PM
(02-19-2016 06:26 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 05:41 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Yeah, I'm sure it expects at the very least a full stdlib, but considering there's a Palm OS port that will run on a Palm III with no more than 2 MB of RAM, I have to imagine the space constraints wouldn't be a big hurdle with today's embedded SOCs. Something comparable to an Arduino Due could probably handle it just fine (though without the many mega/gigabytes of program space that the iPhone version affords you).

Yeah, that would definitely be way too tight on memory/storage, though I'm sure the CPU is fast enough.

And you say "upcoming DM-42L" like it's a certainty. Did I miss an announcement? Can I pre-order yet? Smile
02-19-2016, 07:13 PM
(02-19-2016 07:10 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Waiting for non-Voyager form factor.

Ditto!

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-19-2016, 07:15 PM
(02-19-2016 07:06 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Yeah, that would definitely be way too tight on memory/storage, though I'm sure the CPU is fast enough.

And you say "upcoming DM-42L" like it's a certainty. Did I miss an announcement? Can I pre-order yet? Smile

Just announced...

This calculator will be available at https://www.SwissMicros.com in summer 2016. Hold your breath and stay tuned.

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-19-2016, 07:19 PM
(02-19-2016 06:44 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  from Michael's e-mail:
[i]It runs on a single CR2032 battery. The total current consumption of the ARM Cortex-M4 CPU running at 26MHz and its LCD is less than 3mA, but most of the time it's idle consuming only about 130uA.

Now we are talking! The NXP LPC54102 Cortex-M4 controller (as an example) has 512KB of Flash and 104KB of RAM. That would not only work for Free42 but it likely be a good candidate for a WP34s port and the WP43s project. The only real drawback (for some) would be the landscape layout.
02-19-2016, 07:21 PM
(02-19-2016 07:15 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 07:06 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Yeah, that would definitely be way too tight on memory/storage, though I'm sure the CPU is fast enough.

Just announced...

This calculator will be available at https://www.SwissMicros.com in summer 2016. Hold your breath and stay tuned.

[Image: eBE21mm.jpg]

I'll probably buy at least two of them if the keyboard quality on the 16 and 41 is good.
02-19-2016, 08:21 PM
(02-19-2016 07:10 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Waiting for non-Voyager form factor.

Wanting a portrait mode 42L, but not waiting. Will more than likely need to try one of these when they're available. The tooling investment for a portrait chassis is likely prohibitive, and the landscape exists, so... Maybe if sales of the 41L and 42L are large enough, SM may rethink doing a portrait design.

Key layout can be seen in the video; seems there is room for improvement, but it's a very subjective thing. I'd like to see Walter's take on a landscape 42 layout. Wonder if they looked at the Landscape 42S skin for the Android Free42?

--Bob Prosperi
02-19-2016, 08:37 PM
(02-19-2016 08:21 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Wanting a portrait mode 42L, but not waiting. Will more than likely need to try one of these when they're available. The tooling investment for a portrait chassis is likely prohibitive, and the landscape exists, so... Maybe if sales of the 41L and 42L are large enough, SM may rethink doing a portrait design.

Or, maybe, since they sell them even in landscape format, they won't feel any urge to change it...
I won't buy it as is, as I did for the 41L.

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-19-2016, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 10:53 PM by rprosperi.)
(02-19-2016 08:37 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Or, maybe, since they sell them even in landscape format, they won't feel any urge to change it...
I won't buy it as is, as I did for the 41L.

Agree, this is likely, but we can hope they'll see the light and introduce a portrait model the way HP and God intended.

Although for the Voyager models the trailing "L" in the model name means "Large", for DM42L, I guess it means "Landscape". Sigh...

Maybe I will hold off...

--Bob Prosperi
02-19-2016, 11:24 PM
(02-19-2016 10:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Agree, this is likely, but we can hope they'll see the light and introduce a portrait model the way HP and God intended.

Amen bro! ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-19-2016, 11:43 PM
A 42s with a Arm CPU and 104k of RAM?

Even if it were in a triangle format I'd buy one!

Besides, landscape format is a winner.

But maybe I'm biased for using the 15c for 25+ years.

This is an opportunitie of a lifetime. C'mon guys, let's support SwissMicros!

Cheers

JL
02-19-2016, 11:48 PM
(02-19-2016 11:43 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  A 42s with a Arm CPU and 104k of RAM?

Even if it were in a triangle format I'd buy one!

Besides, landscape format is a winner.

But maybe I'm biased for using the 15c for 25+ years.

This is an opportunitie of a lifetime. C'mon guys, let's support SwissMicros!

Cheers

JL

I don't need landscape repurposed calcs.
Portrait is the way to go! Tongue

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-19-2016, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 12:22 AM by Luigi Vampa.)
(02-19-2016 10:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  [...] we can hope they'll see the light and introduce a portrait model the way HP and God intended. Although for the Voyager models the trailing "L" in the model name means "Large", for DM42L, I guess it means "Landscape". Sigh... Maybe I will hold off...
Bob, please don't forget Justin Bieber's hit... Never say never. IMHO Michael should have included this song in this DM42L promotional video to convert those like you to professional landscapers ;o)
As for me, 'maybe I will hold off' too, I am just patiently waiting for the DM34L, now that an HP50g is about to come home before it goes off the shelves :O)

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)