Barcode -> .raw file project ---- help requested
01-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Barcode -> .raw file project ---- help requested
I had an idea in a discussion with Angel yesterday and I don't have all the tools to help make this a reality. Hoping that some here can help out on this for all of us - well, at least all 41CL users and HP-41 emulator users. Isn't that all of us? :-)

1) The PPC ROM manual has quite a few application programs that use PPC ROM routines but which were not included in the ROM itself. They are presented in the back of the manual in barcode. These programs include CVPL (curve plot), LPAS (loan principal amortization schedule), SC (special characters) and many many more.

Goal: Scan the barcode for these into .raw files and then convert them into a .mod / .rom image for the 41CL and emulators.

2) Extend your HP-41, Synthetic programming made easy, Extended functions made easy, and other books have many application programs in bar code.

Goal: Scan the barcode and convert them into .raw files.

I can scan the code into my HP41, but have no connection between it and a PC. I know I could *buy* a way to do it, but do some here already have that ability who could join in and help out this project?

Hopeful... Gene
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2015, 05:32 PM
RE: Barcode -> .raw file project ---- help requested
This might be another solution: A Software Decoder for HP-41 Barcodes

Cheers
Thomas
01-29-2015, 03:29 PM
For what it's worth, all 28 of the programs in "Appendix O -- Barcodes of Applications Programs" in the PPC ROM User's Manual can be found in the following LIF-disk image, which can be mounted as a virtual disk using a PIL-Box and IL-Per's virtual HP 9114 disk drive, from which the HP-41 programs can be read directly into your HP-41.

http://holyjoe.net/hp/PPCROM_Users_Manua...ograms.zip

The programs are in the same order on the disk as they are in the PPC ROM Owner's Manual:

MAXMIN, MPP, SMP, ACV, CPP, ACP, MPT, MIO, RRM, PHN, FAST, LPAS, CVPL, SC, SCDEMO, COMP, SUB1, LBW, VK, AORD, FCT, SUB2, ISX, IRX, ALFATN, DIAL, KA, MKA

Personal note: It was a delight to discover that my 41's wand still worked perfectly after all these years.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-29-2015, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 07:00 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(01-29-2015 03:29 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  For what it's worth, all 28 of the programs in "Appendix O -- Barcodes of Applications Programs" in the PPC ROM User's Manual can be found in the following LIF-disk image, which can be mounted as a virtual disk using a PIL-Box and IL-Per's virtual HP 9114 disk drive, from which the HP-41 programs can be read directly into your HP-41.

Great timing - Gene recently suggested it'll be a good idea to put a ROM image with all these; I'll take a stab at it assuming I can read this disk image.
Thanks,

Updated: I could read the Drive using ILPER and PilBox, not a problem. Then used READP plus HSAVEP on each file to get them in HEPAX RAM, but I'm having trouble uploading the ROM to the PC using CLREADER. I get read errors, not sure what's the root cause - will investigate further and report back.
01-30-2015, 05:02 AM
(01-29-2015 03:29 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  For what it's worth, all 28 of the programs in "Appendix O -- Barcodes of Applications Programs" in the PPC ROM User's Manual can be found in the following LIF-disk image...

Personal note: It was a delight to discover that my 41's wand still worked perfectly after all these years.

Gene: Great! Wonderful!

Does anyone have the other user created books who could scan them this way? I'm thinking William Wickes' book, the synthetic programming and extended functions made easy books, and Wlodek's Extend your HP 41.

If we could get all of those programs into a similar state, they will be just as easily accessible as the other roms so far created.

:-)
01-30-2015, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 05:58 AM by Joe Horn.)
Gene: Ask and ye shall receive. Here are all the barcode programs in Bill Wickes' "Green Book" (Synthetic Programming on the HP41) on a single LIF disk image:

http://holyjoe.net/hp/WICKES.zip

Edit: Unfortunately I don't seem to have the other books you mentioned.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
01-30-2015, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 03:03 PM by rprosperi.)
(01-30-2015 05:02 AM)Gene Wrote:  Does anyone have the other user created books who could scan them this way? I'm thinking William Wickes' book, the synthetic programming and extended functions made easy books, and Wlodek's Extend your HP 41.

If we could get all of those programs into a similar state, they will be just as easily accessible as the other roms so far created.

(01-30-2015 05:57 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Edit: Unfortunately I don't seem to have the other books you mentioned.

I think I have the other books (I know I have Wlodek's, not as certain about the other, also have John Dearing's book). I will dig them out this weekend and scan them in and make a LIF file similar to Joe's. I can send it directly to you (Gene) or to Joe to post like the above file. Something to do while watching the Patriots win the Superbowl.

But it will cost you a tiny bit of time - for those of us not yet fully re-entrenched in 41 stuff, can you explain the difference between a .RAW and .MOD file, and how one makes either from the programs I will copy to the LIF volume?

Sounds like fun, thanks for the suggestion Gene and to Joseph for reminding me I have all the pieces to help out as well.

I'm still stuck trying to decide between getting a CL upgrade or a Clonix/NoV....

Edit: additional thanks...

--Bob Prosperi
01-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Thank you! I'm not sure of the differences myself, but it appears if you put the .LIF file out where Joe did and let Angel know, we could be in business!

Joe: Cast your bread upon the waters...

thanks guys. These will be great additions to the file collections.

Bob: I have both a NoVRAM and a 41CL. In my opinion, the 41CL is the way to go if you are only getting one of them. The NoVRAM for me is only used to move new .rom images into my 41CL, but the 41CL is used all the time.
01-31-2015, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 07:33 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(01-30-2015 02:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  But it will cost you a tiny bit of time - for those of us not yet fully re-entrenched in 41 stuff, can you explain the difference between a .RAW and .MOD file, and how one makes either from the programs I will copy to the LIF volume?

I'm no expert on the LIF/DAT situation but here's what I know:

1. The .DAT files Joe graciously posted are images of an HP-IL volume. You can use them with IL-Per or other emulators w/ HPIL support.

2. The ROM and MOD files are images of actual HP-41 modules, with FAT, code, and possibly polling points. You can use them in V41 and burn then on Clonix/N0Vo, and download them to the CL.

3. The RAW files are images of individual FOCAL programs. You can load them on V41 and perhaps other emulators (?)

Update:

The "PPC_APPS" ROM is now more or less complete on the CL, but I'm still stuck trying to upload the ROM file to the PC. The link/cable/COM port/BAUD all work fine to download to the CL w/ CLWRITER but not so the other way around, i.e. upload with CLREADER. I tried different BAUD rates to no avail, also tried different versions of YEXP. I'll do a last attempt with my second CL, and if that fails too will dust off the MLM2k - I can also do it with that unit.
01-31-2015, 10:49 AM
The MLDL2k approach worked like a charm (if way slower, talk about slow motion life compared to the CL - I really need to figure out the issue with CLREADER...)

ok, here's the scoop:

- got all programs from Joe's DAT file into a ROM image, "PPC APPS"

- So far there are 62 FAT entries - Note that the program DIAL is not well suited for the ROM format, as it assumes additional names/ph# will be added into the code , increasing so the number of global LBLs. I have only included one FAT entry for it, so the user could COPY it to RAM ad do as (s)he wishes.

- The FAT entries are haphazardly arranged, no alphabetical order, no logical groups. Do you have suggestions or preferred grouping? Suggestions are welcome - or you'll live with what I do.

- Once the FAT is solid all "XEQ" calls can be converted to XROM instructions, saving a bunch of bytes. I won't do that until having a final and definitive FAT, for obvious reasons.

- The code spans to a second page, therefore this is already an 8k Module. There is about 1k free where we could put some of the programs from the Wickes' book - no idea how many would fit or which ones should logically belong.

Your thoughts?
01-31-2015, 04:12 PM
(01-31-2015 07:31 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  I'm no expert on the LIF/DAT situation but here's what I know:

1. The .DAT files Joe graciously posted are images of an HP-IL volume. You can use them with IL-Per or other emulators w/ HPIL support.

2. The ROM and MOD files are images of actual HP-41 modules, with FAT, code, and possibly polling points. You can use them in V41 and burn then on Clonix/N0Vo, and download them to the CL.

3. The RAW files are images of individual FOCAL programs. You can load them on V41 and perhaps other emulators (?)

Very helpful Angel, thanks for clarifying.

Using the above definitions, this is the plan:

1. I will barcode scan the programs in from Wlodek's book (plus others if avail) and load them into a single .DAT LIF image via HP-IL/ILPer
2. I'll send the image to you (Angel) and to Joe to host for others that may want it this way.
3. Angel will use his magic to turn this collection of FOCAL programs into a ROM/MOD image for loading into CL/NOVo (and go41cx emulator!).

Should get to this tomorrow.

--Bob Prosperi
02-01-2015, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 05:50 PM by Ángel Martin.)
here's the first take of the PPC_APPS Module and ROMs, anyone doing some testing?

There's no magic in turning the collections into a ROM, just some work putting it together - fiddling with the FAT is the most time consuming part.

I'll like to change the XEQ calls into XROMs, but will wait for some feedback on things.

Cheers,
'AM

Edited: removed the attachment - superseded by new version
02-01-2015, 10:44 PM
(02-01-2015 10:25 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  here's the first take of the PPC_APPS Module and ROMs....

These files reflect part of what I was confused about.

There are 2 x 8k .ROM files and an 11K .MOD file.

Which should be used where?

Possible places are the CL, Clonix/NO-V and go41cx

I have the PPC ROM (a .MOD file from *****) loaded in go41cx, so I guess I can load your new .MOD file there as well to check them out?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but these things are soo basic, it's hard to find a clear answer.

--Bob Prosperi
02-01-2015, 11:41 PM
(01-30-2015 05:57 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Edit: Unfortunately I don't seem to have the other books you mentioned.

I have the following books and scanned the programs in; Once you get them, please post links here so folks can get the .dat (LIF volume) files.
  • Wlodek’s “Extend Your HP-41”, Nov 85 Edition
  • Keith Jarret’s “HP-41 Extended Functions Made Easy”
  • John Dearing’s “Calculator Tips and Routines” (only 1 program)
  • Cary Reinstein’s “HP-41 HP-IL System Dictionary”

Does anyone have Jarret's "Synthetic Programs Made Easy" to scan and upload the programs here?

I will also send the .dat files to Angel to explore combining into a single Module.

--Bob Prosperi
02-02-2015, 02:06 AM
(02-01-2015 11:41 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I have the following books and scanned the programs in; Once you get them, please post links here so folks can get the .dat (LIF volume) files.
  • Wlodek’s “Extend Your HP-41”, Nov 85 Edition
  • Keith Jarret’s “HP-41 Extended Functions Made Easy”
  • John Dearing’s “Calculator Tips and Routines” (only 1 program)
  • Cary Reinstein’s “HP-41 HP-IL System Dictionary”

Does anyone have Jarret's "Synthetic Programs Made Easy" to scan and upload the programs here?

I will also send the .dat files to Angel to explore combining into a single Module.

I have the same books as you plus the following ...

Books with program listing and barcodes ...
  • W.C.Wickes: Synthetic Programming on the HP-41C
  • McCornack/Jarrett: HP-41 Advance Programming Tips
  • Keith Jarett: Synthetic Programs Made Easy
  • Ed Keefe: Advantage - Computer Science On Your HP-41
  • Wadman/Coffin: Advantage - Statics for Students
  • Wadman/Coffin: Advantage - Electrical Circuits for Students
  • Meehan/Vogel: Reservoir Engineering Manual
  • William Kolb: Curve Fitting for Programmable Calculators 2Ed
  • Christoph Klug: HP-41 Input/Output Board
  • Descamps/Dhenin: Programmer HP-41 (french)
Modules manual with program listing and barcodes ...
  • HP: 82182A Time Module Manual Programs
  • HP: 82183A Extended I/O Module Manual Programs
  • HP: 82184A Plotter Module Manual Programs
  • W&W: CCD ROM Manual Programs
  • HP: All North-American & European HP-41 English Solutions Books
Books with program listing but without barcodes ...
  • William Phillips: Data Processing on the HP-41C/CV
  • Chenevert/Williams/Hekimian: Applied Drilling Engineering Manual
  • Hollo/Holmes/Pais: Reservoir Economics and Engineering Manual
  • Socotec: Calculs de béton armé sur HP-41 (french)
  • Gery: La gestion sur HP-41 (french)
I also have other HP-41 books but they do not have listing inside.

Which one do you want ?

Sylvain
02-02-2015, 02:39 AM
(02-02-2015 02:06 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have the same books as you plus the following ...

Books with program listing and barcodes ...
  • W.C.Wickes: Synthetic Programming on the HP-41C
  • Ed Keefe: Advantage - Computer Science On Your HP-41
  • Wadman/Coffin: Advantage - Statics for Students
  • Wadman/Coffin: Advantage - Electrical Circuits for Students
  • Meehan/Vogel: Reservoir Engineering Manual
  • Christoph Klug: HP-41 Input/Output Board
  • Descamps/Dhenin: Programmer HP-41 (french)
Modules manual with program listing and barcodes ...
  • HP: 82182A Time Module Manual Programs
  • HP: 82183A Extended I/O Module Manual Programs
  • HP: 82184A Plotter Module Manual Programs
  • HP: All North-American & European HP-41 English Solutions Books
Books with program listing but without barcodes ...
  • William Phillips: Data Processing on the HP-41C/CV
  • Chenevert/Williams/Hekimian: Applied Drilling Engineering Manual
  • Hollo/Holmes/Pais: Reservoir Economics and Engineering Manual
  • Socotec: Calculs de béton armé sur HP-41 (french)
  • Gery: La gestion sur HP-41 (french)
I also have other HP-41 books but they do not have listing inside.

Which one do you want ?

Sylvain

Thanks for volunteering to help Sylvain, as usual. In the spirit of Gene's original request, I would say the following popular books would be of general interest to many users: (most are also on the MoHPC USB Drive)

I am not at all familiar with the other books, so cannot say if they would be of wide interest or not.

I think the HP Module manual programs are also be of interest, but probably less so; owners of these modules may well have keyed or scanned them by now, if they wanted them.

Gene, opinion?

Other opinions?

--Bob Prosperi
02-02-2015, 04:53 AM
(02-01-2015 11:41 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I have the following books and scanned the programs in; Once you get them, please post links here so folks can get the .dat (LIF volume) files.

Thanks, Bob! Your LIF disk images (.dat files) have been zipped and uploaded as requested. For easy access to them, I edited your list of book titles above, so that each is now a direct link to the respective zipfile.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
02-02-2015, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 10:15 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(02-01-2015 10:44 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  These files reflect part of what I was confused about.

There are 2 x 8k .ROM files and an 11K .MOD file.

Which should be used where?
Possible places are the CL, Clonix/NO-V and go41cx

I have the PPC ROM (a .MOD file from *****) loaded in go41cx, so I guess I can load your new .MOD file there as well to check them out?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but these things are soo basic, it's hard to find a clear answer.

The ROM files are images of actual HP-41 ROMs, with FAT, code, and possibly polling points. The MOD files are "ROM containers", useful to deal w/ multi-ROM modules for instance. You can use MOD files on V41 and other emulators (like i41CX, not sure about android versions but it sounds also possible from what you say above). The ROM files are for Clonix/N0Vo burning, and CL download.
02-02-2015, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 10:13 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(02-02-2015 04:53 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  

Thanks, Bob! Your LIF disk images (.dat files) have been zipped and uploaded as requested. For easy access to them, I edited your list of book titles above, so that each is now a direct link to the respective zipfile.

More homework, great! ;-) I'll get to those on a time permitting basis - after all I have a day job to do.

I was thinking that small routines are less suited to this project, they'll quickly exhaust the limited number of FAT entries, and in theory they're supposed to be easy to enter by hand.

A couple of trivia facts that you may find interesting:

- PPC and Wickes are already dealt with on the PPC_APPS Module. Only one program from the Wickes' book didn't fit there, "KA" - we could consider getting rid of "DIAL" instead but I thought there were already plenty of programs on Key Assignments. Let me know what you think.

- There is already a module with the HP-41 Advantage apps from the Grapevine books. J-F Garnier put that one together, and it's available at TOS and on the CL Library.

- W. Kolb's Curve Fitting program is available on the "Curve Fitting" Module I put together many moons ago; also available at the same sources.

- Of all remaining ones perhaps the more interesting is "McCornack/Jarrett: HP-41 Advance Programming Tips". Would be nice to have RAW files for those or another .DAT virtual drive file.

Cheers,
'AM
02-02-2015, 01:02 PM
There's a rather large appendix in the PPC ROM manual dedicated to the Towers of Hanoi using some recursive approach - and calling a few of the other application examples. Unfortunately barcodes were not provided, thus it isn't in the DAT file not in the PPC_APPS module...

Would be nice to also get that on the module for completion sake, but I'm not looking forward to typing those few hundreds program lines. Does anybody have a RAW file for these by any chance?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)