I am a new member - hp35s owner
01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
I am a new member - hp35s owner
I am a new member to your forum and I believe the last member to register in your older forum. I was pleasantly suprised to the forum upgrade. I am not a collector but an avid user. I have stumbled across this site searching for android application & calculator emulator I could load on my phone.

I have to admit that I have learned a lot more about my hp35s and the other models. I am now spending my time reading all the post on my tablet and having a relaxed cup of coffee. I have dusted my old palm loaded the hp42s & hp41cx emulator and now tinkering with some of the programs in the library.

I also searched for a possible second hand hp42s and nearly fell backwards when I saw the price $239 on ebay. Surely this can't be right, I thought. But there it was, I became a little nostalgic. I should have kept mine instead of selling it so many years ago.

Regards, Jean-Marc
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 08:53 AM
RE: I am a new member - hp35s owner
Find yourself a WP 34S. You won't regret it.

- Pauli
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
(01-07-2014 08:53 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Find yourself a WP 34S. You won't regret it.

Funny thing you should mention that, since the FEDEX guy rang my doorbell about 25 minutes ago, and guess what I found inside the box. Smile
01-07-2014, 09:00 PM
WP34s the homebrew calculator. I saw a post yesterday on this forum and thought that it was discontinued or abandoned. I tried the search on the forum again but it timeout. If this calculator does get sent to Australia I might consider one. Are we talking about good battery life with a similar software layout to the hp42s.

I will download a manual or something along these lines maybe there is a youtube tutorial. I am getting curious about this.

Regards, Jean-Marc
01-07-2014, 09:32 PM
(01-07-2014 09:00 PM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  If this calculator does get sent to Australia I might consider one. Are we talking about good battery life with a similar software layout to the hp42s.

I will download a manual or something along these lines maybe there is a youtube tutorial. I am getting curious about this.

Start with the pdf manual: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wp34s/fi...f/download
Look here for more: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wp34s/

Of course this calculator gets sent to Australia. Please see p. 2 of the pdf manual for suppliers.

d:-)
01-08-2014, 03:31 AM
Thanks, I just realised by the name that this is your baby. Great work, this is a powerful calculator very impressive and covers almost everything. It's only restricted by the hardware it seems. Shame for the soft menu this was a nice touch with the hp42s. I also like the way you could do a simple cross product with the hp42s. I skimmed through the manual but I could not figure out how to do the same with the WP34s calculator. It could probably be achieved by a program like the one written for the hp35s.

I have to do more research. If the WP34s gets a waterproof casing this calculator would suite engineers and riggers in the field. It would be a great asset. Some petrol refineries have restrictions such as no mobile phones, wifi devices so you are left with just a good calculator pen and paper to resolve problems. It can be a good backup tool for field work and for less than $100.00, brilliant.

Keep up the good work ! Smile

Regards, Jean-Marc
01-08-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm looking forward to the WP 43S.

Dave
01-08-2014, 05:13 AM
(01-07-2014 09:00 PM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  If this calculator does get sent to Australia I might consider one.

Of course it does - I have two, right here on my desk in Sydney!

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
01-08-2014, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 05:31 AM by Thomas Klemm.)
(01-08-2014 03:31 AM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  I also like the way you could do a simple cross product with the hp42s. It could probably be achieved by a program like the one written for the hp35s.

From HP 35s - my first thoughts:

X001 LBL X
X002 ABS
X003 CLx
X004 LASTx
X005 RDN
X006 RDN
X007 [
[0,[0,0,-1]*REGT,[0,1,0]*REGT]*REGZ,
[[0,0,1]*REGT,0,[-1,0,0]*REGT]*REGZ,
[[0,-1,0]*REGT,[1,0,0]*REGT,0]*REGZ
]
X008 REGZ
X009 RDN
X010 RTN

Arne Halvorsen
created the Euclid Pack - The Geometric Calculator.

Thought that might be interesting to you.

Quote:I skimmed through the manual but I could not figure out how to do the same with the WP34s calculator.

Since the WP-34S doesn't provide a 3D-vector type that's not possible unfortunately. You could use the 8-element stack and write a program for it.

Cheers
Thomas
01-08-2014, 05:42 AM
About CROSS products:
(01-08-2014 05:27 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 03:31 AM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  I skimmed through the manual but I could not figure out how to do the same with the WP34s calculator.

Since the WP-34S doesn't provide a 3D-vector type that's not possible unfortunately. You could use the 8-element stack and write a program for it.

Cross product is in the library in flash memory Smile (see CAT) although a little do-it-yourself program would be a good exercise Wink

01-08-2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks for your kind words. There are more parents, however:

At least 50% of the fame should go to Pauli, your fellow Australian. And Marcus made a very good job in bringing our baby to birth. And Pascal and Neill and Eric and ... (see WHO on the WP 34S and the Welcome chapter of the manual).

01-08-2014, 09:13 AM
My congrats to the team, I just downloaded the ios emulator which is based on your work / team. The keyboard is different from what I am accustomed. I was surprised that it only took me about 15 minutes to figure it out. It is intuitive and the keys are grouped appropriately.

I also read that you have another project the wp43s as another challenge. I think you are on the right track. If you incorporate soft menu and it is enclosed in a robust case this would become a gem. All my praise you all deserve it and don't be modest I can tell that this is a lot of work.

I will be keeping an eye on this project.

Regards, Jean-Marc
01-08-2014, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 05:15 PM by Thomas Klemm.)
(01-08-2014 05:42 AM)walter b Wrote:  Cross product is in the library in flash memory Smile (see CAT) although a little do-it-yourself program would be a good exercise Wink

Just noticed a bug in the method Vec_Magnitude:

/* VAB
Vector absolute value (modulus). Vector in Y,Z,T. Returns
the length in X (dropping the vector). The original vector
is saved in L,I,J.
*/
061 ***LBL'VAB'
062 XEQ Vec_Magnitude
063 x[<->] T
064 STO J
065 DROP
066 [cmplx]STO L
067 [cmplx]DROP
068 RTN

// Subroutine used by several functions.
070 Vec_Magnitude:: ENTER[^]
071 x[^2]
072 RCL Z
073 RCL[times] T
074 +
075 RCL T
076 RCL[times] T
077 +
078 [sqrt]
079 RTN

Should be RCL[times] A instead. Or then use x[^2].

Test-case: \(
\left \| \begin{pmatrix}
2 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix} \right \| = 3
\)

Current result is \(\sqrt{7}\).

Cheers
Thomas

PS: Probably a typo in the comment of VAB.

Vector in Y,Z,T
01-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Does this routine also assume the user is in SSIZE8? I am in SSIZE4, and the routine returns sqrt(6).

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
01-09-2014, 06:46 AM
(01-08-2014 11:00 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Does this routine also assume the user is in SSIZE8? I am in SSIZE4, and the routine returns sqrt(6).

At least that's my understanding of vectors.wp34s:
Quote:This is a basic suite of three dimensional vector operations for the WP 34S.

As a rule a vector occupies a triple of stack registers usually X, Y & Z or
T, A & B. Scalars occupy one stack level. Operations save their first
argument to last X (L for scalars and L, I & J for vectors).

LBL'Vec'
SSIZE8
CL[alpha]
"Vector"
VIEW[alpha]
Vec_Stop:: STOP
JMP Vec_Stop

Cheers
Thomas
01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
You guys should do a little youtube video if you have time. Showcasing some of the feature of the new wp34s calculator with examples.

Nothing too complex vector arithmetic, polynomial solver etc. Would this be okay with the original founders? This is just a suggestion that I am submitting to everyone knowledgeable and reading this post. I would enjoy watching it.

I am currently using the ios wp34 emulator and it is usually not quite the same as the real thing. For example the Free42 for palm 1.4.71 has a bug where if you add 1+2+3+4+5 you get 20 instead of 15. However the Free42 for ios doesn't have this bug.

Regards, Jean-Marc
01-09-2014, 07:41 AM
(01-09-2014 07:32 AM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  I am currently using the ios wp34 emulator and it is usually not quite the same as the real thing. For example the Free42 for palm 1.4.71 has a bug where if you add 1+2+3+4+5 you get 20 instead of 15. However the Free42 for ios doesn't have this bug.
That bug sounds like one ENTER too much to me Wink

Be assured the WP 34S emulator for Windows does the same as the real thing. I don't know about the IOS edition, however.

01-09-2014, 07:37 PM
The numbers are rounded up to the nearest 10. The calculator was set to engineering display 0. So as you get to 10 and add 5 it displays 20 then 30 and so on.

Once you know the rule it does make sense. Maybe not a bug but a feature of engineering display 0.

Regards, Jean-Marc
01-09-2014, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 07:55 PM by walter b.)
(01-09-2014 07:37 PM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  The numbers are rounded up to the nearest 10. The calculator was set to engineering display 0. So as you get to 10 and add 5 it displays 20 then 30 and so on.

Once you know the rule it does make sense. Maybe not a bug but a feature of engineering display 0.

Rats - this is filed as a reply, but to which post?!? Would you please go to that post and press "Quote" there (you may delete the quoted text then if you don't want it in your reply - but at least your reply will be filed correctly).

d:-/
01-10-2014, 07:24 AM
(01-09-2014 07:54 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 07:37 PM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  The numbers are rounded up to the nearest 10. The calculator was set to engineering display 0. So as you get to 10 and add 5 it displays 20 then 30 and so on.

Rats - this is filed as a reply, but to which post?!? Would you please go to that post and press "Quote" there (you may delete the quoted text then if you don't want it in your reply - but at least your reply will be filed correctly).

dUndecided
I have only one thread and I was responding to the comments below :
Still learning the ropes of the new forum this new post should clear things up for you.

(Yesterday 06:32 PM)Jean-Marc Wrote: I am currently using the ios wp34 emulator and it is usually not quite the same as the real thing. For example the Free42 for palm 1.4.71 has a bug where if you add 1+2+3+4+5 you get 20 instead of 15. However the Free42 for ios doesn't have this bug.

That bug sounds like one ENTER too much to me Wink

Be assured the WP 34S emulator for Windows does the same as the real thing. I don't know about the IOS edition, however.

Regards, Jean-Marc

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)