HP Forums

Full Version: HP 48GX Died Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,
My trusty HP48 GX calculator of 20+ years died on me today. I’ve been using it every day, including today without any problems (except the last time). I pressed the on button, the screen flashes black, and then off. I replaced the batteries, still nothing. I tried the press the bezel trick but that doesn’t work.

Is there anything I can do that doesn’t require replacing parts that may be a quickish fix?

Thanks!
Leave it a couple of days without batteries and then try again.

Anyways you got 20 years out of it ! what a marvel !. I'd get a 50g just because it is newer Smile and may last 10+ years Smile
I think 10 years of hard use for a 50g is optimistic.

My 50g died last week, I can't remember when I got it but it was a blue one, so can't be very old.
My first 50g (not so heavily used) is from 2010 refurbished from HP.

My second one (second hand) is from 2017.

Both are black.

I hpe they could last until 2020/2025
(10-10-2017 10:46 PM)basis Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,
My trusty HP48 GX calculator of 20+ years died on me today. I’ve been using it every day, including today without any problems (except the last time). I pressed the on button, the screen flashes black, and then off. I replaced the batteries, still nothing. I tried the press the bezel trick but that doesn’t work.

Is there anything I can do that doesn’t require replacing parts that may be a quickish fix?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

Don't give up, there are some tricks you can do to revive it.

There's a reset button under the one of the rubber feet (I don't remember which one)

Try to short circuit batteries terminals with a paper clip.

And the best one Alessandro already told you, leave it without batteries for one week, more or less.

Good luck, and keep us informed of the results.

Cheers

JL
Wow - thanks everyone for your suggestions. I let it sit for a day without batteries. I was going to try the pinhole reset button suggested (manual here):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpia5170

But I didn’t need to as the calculator turned on and asked if I wanted to recover memory. It appears to be working just fine. I’m not sure why that worked perhaps some overloaded autocorrecting fuse? Hopefully this helps others who find this thread on a search.

Anyways - glad to have it back!
Good news!

Congratulations! More 20 years of good use!

Cheers

JL
As an aside, My HP27S is still being used daily, & was purchased in 1987-- 30 years old this year!
(10-11-2017 11:52 PM)basis Wrote: [ -> ]Wow - thanks everyone for your suggestions. I let it sit for a day without batteries. I was going to try the pinhole reset button suggested (manual here):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpia5170

But I didn’t need to as the calculator turned on and asked if I wanted to recover memory. It appears to be working just fine. I’m not sure why that worked perhaps some overloaded autocorrecting fuse? Hopefully this helps others who find this thread on a search.

Anyways - glad to have it back!

Did you have a card inserted in any of the ports? I wonder if perhaps one of the cards metal shielding got weak and short circuited the card connector. It has happened to me before resulting in what you described in your first post.
I did not have any cards in the port. It’s still working...
(10-11-2017 06:56 AM)Gerald H Wrote: [ -> ]I think 10 years of hard use for a 50g is optimistic.

My 50g died last week, I can't remember when I got it but it was a blue one, so can't be very old.

Hello Gerald,
do you know the reason, why your 50g stop working?
I use my 50g over the years almost every day with no problems. Perhaps the keyboard is somewhat worse, but the entire device fails, so I was not known. Is this usual at the 50g? Then I would perhaps have to buy a spare.

Thanks and best regards
Joerg
(10-10-2017 10:46 PM)basis Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

Thanks!

Your contagious

My 48sx stopped working now

quarantine him! Tongue

To clean the ON button on a 48SX I'm going to have to disassemble it aren't I, I have to press and wiggle the button.
Reference URL's