HP Forums

Full Version: pyILPER 1.6.0 first beta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I published a first beta version of the upcoming pyILPER version 1.6.0 on GitHUB.

pyILPER 1.6.0 introduces an emulated HP82162A printer and includes major improvements of the user interface.

New features and enhancements
  • The HP82162A printer is now included as virtual HP-IL device. The device provides high quality output to a PDF file. Add this device with the "Virtual HP-IL device configuration" in the file menu.
  • Resizing the main window of pyILPER now adjusts the number of lines of the printer, scope and drive directory automatically. This also applies to the size of the plotter viewport. The dimensions of the pyILPER main window is restored at start of the application.
  • Any change of GUI related configuration parameters (font sizes, terminal color scheme, number of columns of the terminal widget) now effects immediately and does not require a restart of the application any more.
  • The terminal, printer and scope now support copying selected text to the system clipboard. The terminal supports pasting text from the system clipboard.
  • Barcodes of HP-41 program and SDATA files can now be created as PDF files from the context menu of the directory listing.
  • Terminal, scope and printers got mouse wheel scrolling support. Note: the focus must be in the output window.
  • A PDF file of the directory listing can now be created from the tool menu of the drive tab.
  • The scope got an option to display the frames as hex codes.

Note: this beta version is not available on the Anaconda cloud.

If you like to give this version a try do the following:
  • Get the source code file v1.6.0b1.zip from the pyILPER release page.
  • Unzip this file to an arbitrary location of your file system.
  • Change to the directory pyilper-1.6.0b1.
  • Run "python start.py" (or python3 start.py depending on your Python installation).
The beta version does not affect the configuration of an already installed pyILPER production version.

Regards

Joachim
(10-03-2017 05:44 PM)jsi Wrote: [ -> ]New features and enhancements
  • The terminal, printer and scope now support copying selected text to the system clipboard. The terminal supports pasting text from the system clipboard.

Wow, quite an impressive update Joachim!

For me, special thanks for the above enhancement to support the clipboard!

For paste support in the terminal, could this include pasting in '71 (or '75) BASIC program lines (with line numbers, properly formatted, into current EDIT file, etc.)? If so, this would become the easiest method to import a program created on a PC by far. The paste would have to tolerate the delay to parse and tokenize the statements upon END LINE for each entered line.

If so, I suppose one may also be able to paste assembler source lines into the Text Editor in Edit mode...

Interesting things to consider here....
Keyboard emulation is only available for the HP-71B. As far as I know a keyboard lex file does not exist for the HP-75.

If you paste text, the printable characters of the system clipboard are sent to the pyILPER keyboard buffer. A newline is transformed to an escape sequence that triggers the [ENDLINE] key of the HP-71. The HP-71 fetches the data from the buffer if it is ready for keyboard input, so there is no need to care for a delay.

Please note, that keyboard data handling of the HP-71B is extremely slow compared to file transfer and does not always work reliable.

Therefore I recommend to paste only small amounts of data into the terminal window.

There are better ways to get basic and text files to your HP-71B:
  1. Import an ASCII-Textfile with the pyILPER file import to a LIF-Disk image.
  2. Copy the file to the HP-71B
  3. If the text file contains basic code, then transform the text file into basic.

Regards
Joachim
(10-04-2017 07:36 PM)jsi Wrote: [ -> ]Keyboard emulation is only available for the HP-71B. As far as I know a keyboard lex file does not exist for the HP-75.

The I/O ROM offers a KEYBOARD IS statement.
(10-04-2017 09:52 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2017 07:36 PM)jsi Wrote: [ -> ]Keyboard emulation is only available for the HP-71B. As far as I know a keyboard lex file does not exist for the HP-75.

The I/O ROM offers a KEYBOARD IS statement.

You beat me! Good thing you kept that I/O ROM, eh? Wink
(10-04-2017 07:36 PM)jsi Wrote: [ -> ]If you paste text, the printable characters of the system clipboard are sent to the pyILPER keyboard buffer. A newline is transformed to an escape sequence that triggers the [ENDLINE] key of the HP-71. The HP-71 fetches the data from the buffer if it is ready for keyboard input, so there is no need to care for a delay.

Please note, that keyboard data handling of the HP-71B is extremely slow compared to file transfer and does not always work reliable.

Therefore I recommend to paste only small amounts of data into the terminal window.

There are better ways to get basic and text files to your HP-71B:
  1. Import an ASCII-Textfile with the pyILPER file import to a LIF-Disk image.
  2. Copy the file to the HP-71B
  3. If the text file contains basic code, then transform the text file into basic.

Yes, I'm familiar with these techniques, and they are reliable (if slow and time-consuming) but you have to admit that simply copy/pasting a program listing into the terminal window would be dead simple, faster, and well, just... cool.
Reference URL's