HP Forums

Full Version: convert fractional power to radical
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can displayed results with fractional powers be shown with an equivalent radical (√) sign, instead? Is there a toggle for this?

-Dale-
(09-27-2017 03:04 PM)DrD Wrote: [ -> ]Can displayed results with fractional powers be shown with an equivalent radical (√) sign, instead? Is there a toggle for this?

-Dale-

do you mean symbolic results?
I'm curious too how to obtain conversion, i.e., from 1/(x^3) into [3]√x or thing like that...
\( x^{\frac{1}{3}} \space \text{::} \sqrt[3]{x} \)
Yes. I haven't found a way to do that.
If it's in there it'd be in one of the algebraic expansion functions.
There is a way to do this in a program. You'd have to write a function as follows...
Convert the expression to a string. Then, wherever NTHROOT shows up in the string, substitute for dd NTHROOT x with x^(1/dd). Likewise, to go the other direction, search for x^(1/dd) and convert to dd NTHROOT x, still in string format.
Then call EXPR on the result.
Enjoy. Publish this if you write it :-)
I'd like to have something like QPI (see here), but more general (also for x and variables) and ...built in in the CAS. Maybe someday... who knows? Smile

Salvo

EDIT: however, for now, i.e., in Home QPI(x^(½)) returns 0, in CAS it, after some time, returns "Error: insufficient memory"... and no result.
Hello,

The problem is that this is a hard nut to crack and can yeild fairly long calculations.

Cyrille
(10-30-2017 06:12 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

The problem is that this is a hard nut to crack and can yeild fairly long calculations.

Cyrille

Certainly, Cyrille, we understand that, however having radicals result would be useful.
Reference URL's