HP Forums

Full Version: TI-36x PRO Equivalent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does HP make a SCIENTIFIC Calculator with a similar display and features as the TI-36x PRO?
One feature I want is the outputs to display as simplified values.

For example Sqrt(5^2+6^2) = Sqrt(61) not 7.8102....
as far as I know you need the CAS for that, so 49g+, 50g and Prime (and maybe some model before with additional libraries IIRC).
I Don't actually mean CAS capability on a scientific calculator. I mean that: Entering the square root of 5 squared plus 6 squared would return Sqrt(61) instead of the decimal approximation.

some more examples are entering 65/4 would return 65/4 or entering 200/400 would return 1/2 and not 0.5.

If there is a proper name for that feature would anyone state it please?

Is the hp 300s+ the ti-36x pro or is it another calculator. Both have the multiview
What you ask is done by the exact mode on the 50g, and it is using part of the case engine as far as I know. I don't think that system without a small Cas engine can do it on the hp side but here there are more experts so let's wait their suggestions.
I would never trust a calculator giving Sqrt(5^2+6^2) = Sqrt(64)
QPI
http://www.hpmuseum.org/software/qpi/42sqpi.htm
can simulate this function on a HP42S
I meant 61 where I put "64" in sqrt(64) answers, I fixed in edit.
+1 for QPI, although I have only used it on the 48G family
(05-06-2017 05:16 PM)Chris. Wrote: [ -> ]Does HP make a SCIENTIFIC Calculator with a similar display and features as the TI-36x PRO?
One feature I want is the outputs to display as simplified values.

For example Sqrt(5^2+6^2) = Sqrt(61) not 7.8102....

Yes, the 300s+ does this.

No, you don't need a CAS calculator for this. Many modern high end scientific calculators have a display mode that will attempt to display answers more accurately e.g. as fractions or surds (usually a button to change to floating point or a mode to always give floating point answers).
(05-07-2017 05:23 PM)Dani R. Wrote: [ -> ]QPI
http://www.hpmuseum.org/software/qpi/42sqpi.htm
can simulate this function on a HP42S

(05-07-2017 10:40 PM)thomasross Wrote: [ -> ]+1 for QPI, although I have only used it on the 48G family

I think a program like QPI is not what the OP is looking for. QPI tries to approximate a given number by a fraction or a term with logs and roots. This can be misleading. For instance, when set to 6 digit precision such a program may return "pi" even if the result of a calculation is simply 355/113 – and vice versa. The idea is not to have a number and then find a "nice" representation for it, but to display the exact result of a calculation (which can then be evaluated as a decimal approximation).

Also consider that QPI would return the result of √(3²+4²) simply as "5" and not as √25. ;-)

Dieter
Reference URL's