HP Forums

Full Version: HP 71 Hardware IDS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have a original document named "HP 71 Hardware Internal Design Specification".
Do you think a collector could be interested ?

Philippe
Depends. Is it printed or photocopied? See previous posts regarding the IDS here.
Hi,

I'm almost sure that it is a original copy. It is composed of :
- a front and back cover (soft cover with cardboard > 200 grs i think)
- 71 pages both sides (0ne page per page)
- 10 pages of system diagrams (special format, 2/3 folds)

Very good conditions (protected by plastic bag during many years) for the 71 pages. Very good/good condition for the 10 pages of system diagrams.

No mark, no tear, no rip, no spill, no stains. Some slightly tired borders for the system diagrams part. All pages/covers are perforated (3 holes, not perforated by me). Trace of paper knife on the cover.

About the content :
- The table of content says that the chapter 4 goes from pages 4-1 to 4-14 but it goes from 4-1 to 4-102
- the page 8-21/8-22 is missing
- the chapter 9 "system electrical specification" is missing

@Dave : Looks like the one found in your link (see my attached photo)

Best regards,
Philippe
I have a copy that is unopened in its pastic wrapper. The back cover says part 00071-90071, printed 9/84. It would be interesting to see if it is the same date as yours, and if my copy is missing pages like yours.
Hi,

It seems that you have a piece of collection, congratulations !
My copy have the same date & reference as yours.

Philippe
(09-23-2016 11:12 PM)Philippe Wrote: [ -> ]About the content :
- The table of content says that the chapter 4 goes from pages 4-1 to 4-14 but it goes from 4-1 to 4-102

That's not an error in the table of contents, which only lists starting page numbers, not ending page numbers. It says that the Mnemonics Dictionary begins on page 4-14, which it does.

Quote:- the page 8-21/8-22 is missing

If your copy is like mine, then that page isn't missing, just out of order. Page 21/22 and 23/24 are swapped, probably because page 9-1 couldn't be printed on the back of page 23/24 which is z-folded.

Quote:- the chapter 9 "system electrical specification" is missing

Here's a 400 dpi scan (with OCR) of that chapter just for you:
http://holyjoe.net/HP71/Hardware_IDS_Chapter_9.pdf
Hi joe,

Many thanks For providing me the chapter 9 !
Unfortunately, page 8-21/8-22 seems to be really missing... I have searched in my papers and found another document (for the HP48/SX : chapter 8.2 HP48SX I/O TECH. INTERFACING GUIDE, page 8-6 to 8-14, marked as HP Confidential JULY 90)

Anyway, thanks again
Philippe
(09-24-2016 08:32 AM)Philippe Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, page 8-21/8-22 seems to be really missing... I have searched in my papers and found another document (for the HP48/SX : chapter 8.2 HP48SX I/O TECH. INTERFACING GUIDE, page 8-6 to 8-14, marked as HP Confidential JULY 90)

I tried to scan the missing page for you (although labeled 21 & 22, it is really only a single page with drawings of the card reader port) but my original is too light and detailed to get a good scan.

FYI - This entire manual is included as part of the MoHPC document set on USB drive. Too bad yours was not a complete original copy.

Do you have the complete HP48SX I/O TECH. INTERFACING GUIDE ? I've seen a later version for 48GX (11-page PDF) but not an SX version.
@rprospri : Thank you for trying To do a scan of the missing page (i'm still searching for it in my papers !). About the HP48 interfacing guide, I only get the chapter 8.2 of SX version. I could take pictures of it if you want.

Cheers,
Philippe
(09-24-2016 02:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have the complete HP48SX I/O TECH. INTERFACING GUIDE ? I've seen a later version for 48GX (11-page PDF) but not an SX version.

On Eric's site there is an interfacing guide for the HP48SX: HP48 I/O Technical Interfacing Guide (1990). Not sure if it is the same document that Phillipe has.
Yes, it's the same content (the form/diagrams are more clear since it is a photocopy of the original document).
(09-24-2016 04:17 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote: [ -> ]On Eric's site there is an interfacing guide for the HP48SX: HP48 I/O Technical Interfacing Guide (1990). Not sure if it is the same document that Phillipe has.

I have that, but it seems it must be a different documents since the one on hpcalc is only 9 pages, and there is no section 8 (to match the references page numbers).

(09-24-2016 04:50 PM)Philippe Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's the same content (the form/diagrams are more clear since it is a photocopy of the original document).

Is your document organized very differently? The text file has only 9 pages, and seems could not align with the pages you mentioned?

FYI - There was also a later, prettier, GX version of this doc, in PDF, also at hpcalc.org.
It's the same document. I also have 9 pages (8-6 to 8-14) and the same paragraphs numerotation. I (very) quickly check the content and found some minors mistakes (paragraph 3.4 should be "IR UART Operation", the text should begins by "The IR UART..."). As said in the text file, a picture has been deleted (page 7 or 8-12)

Philippe
(09-25-2016 06:37 PM)Philippe Wrote: [ -> ]It's the same document. I also have 9 pages (8-6 to 8-14) and the same paragraphs numerotation. I (very) quickly check the content and found some minors mistakes (paragraph 3.4 should be "IR UART Operation", the text should begins by "The IR UART..."). As said in the text file, a picture has been deleted (page 7 or 8-12)

Philippe

Thanks for confirming. Confused by the odd numbering "8-6 to 8-14" for what otherwise appears to be a standalone document. It appears your copy was somehow integrated into some larger document or collection.
And what about the HP 71 Hardware IDS ? 
Is there anyone interested ? I'm not really venal, i just don't want to throw away a piece of history...
Philippe
(09-26-2016 05:37 PM)Philippe Wrote: [ -> ]And what about the HP 71 Hardware IDS ? 
Is there anyone interested ? I'm not really venal, i just don't want to throw away a piece of history...
Philippe

Bonjour Philippe,
Je suis intéressé par votre document, je vous envoie un message privé.
Sylvain
Reference URL's