HP Forums

Full Version: Origin of Personal Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Members

I often see challenges originate in this section and thought I would issue my own.

What is the earliest written record (origin) of the term Personal Computer?

NO, repeat NO anecdotal references.

BEST!
SlideRule

ps: if it didn't relate to HP calculators it wouldn't be here, OK.
(08-31-2016 11:26 PM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ]What is the earliest written record (origin) of the term Personal Computer?

Probably an HP-9830. I just read this yesterday, but can't recall where...
(08-31-2016 11:26 PM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ]What is the earliest written record (origin) of the term Personal Computer?

The new Hewlett-Packard 9100A personal computer in a 1968 ad:

http://gizmodo.com/5832811/once-upon-a-t...l-computer

Best regards,

Gerson.
We had this discussion on the 6502.org forum at http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3243 . It's five pages, with a lot of interesting links. The topic title is "OT: Who invented the Personal Computer?"

The Olivetti Programma 101 from 1964 might take the title of first personal computer.
(09-01-2016 01:07 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote: [ -> ]The topic title is "OT: Who invented the Personal Computer?
Why change the topic? The question is not who invented.... It is what is the first written use of the term personal computer. I suppose this thread can wander off topic, but I prefer this not.

BEST!
SlideRule

ps: congrats GERSON! I can find no other written use of the term personal computer prior to the HP 9100 article, circa 1968.

The very earliest occurrence of the term “personal
computer” yielded by JSTOR dates from
1968. In the 4 October 1968 issue of the journal
Science, Hewlett-Packard ran an advertisement
for the HP 9100. The 9100 was the first scientific
desktop calculator, and was programmable,
with programs stored on a magnetic card. The
advertisement described the product as “The
new Hewlett-Packard 9100A personal computer.”
My apologies. I see them as intertwined. Nevertheless, the title of this topic is "Origin of Personal Computer," not origin of the term.
(09-01-2016 04:52 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote: [ -> ]My apologies. I see them as intertwined.

Garth

Sorry for the door slam. I am only curious if there is any older written references to the term personal computer than the one cited with the 9100. I am not a moderator, just a junior member.

BEST!
SlideRule
(09-01-2016 04:54 PM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2016 04:52 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote: [ -> ]My apologies. I see them as intertwined.

Garth

Sorry for the door slam. I am only curious if there is any older written references to the term personal computer than the one cited with the 9100. I am not a moderator, just a junior member.

BEST!
SlideRule

Garth shouldn't have answered anyway as your question was directed at MEMBERS and he is a SENIOR MEMBER. Smile

Günter
Olivetti Programma 101
Not Personal Computer, but Desk-top Computer

[Image: p101-press-clippings.jpg]

However, from the settings where it is shown in this video, I'd call it quite personal! :)

From this site.

I know you are after "written references to the term personal computer" but concede me a little national proud... ;)
Interesting replies.

I found a close reference dating to 1954, but this reference needs an accommodation to fit the query, but it is oh so close.

The IBM 610 Auto-Point Computer was designed in the portholed attic of Watson Lab at Columbia University by John Lentz between 1948 and 1954 as the Personal Automatic Computer (PAC) and announced by IBM as the 610 Auto-Point in 1957.

The term automatic is problematic.

Again, interesting replies.

BEST!
SlideRule
Quoting from the Wikipedia article on the personal computer:

Quote:An early use of the term "personal computer" appeared in a November 3, 1962, New York Times article reporting John W. Mauchly's vision of future computing as detailed at a recent meeting of the Institute of Industrial Engineers. Mauchly stated, "There is no reason to suppose the average boy or girl cannot be master of a personal computer".

The article goes on to describe the use of the term "personal computer" in the ad for the 9100A.
Some time ago, der CEO of Apple said they where the only original computer company still around, and HP said something like: Our first PC was like in 68 so shut up... but Olivetti is still around and pre-dates HP a few years... Smile
(09-02-2016 04:51 AM)John R Wrote: [ -> ]the term "personal computer" appeared in a November 3, 1962, New York Times article reporting John W. Mauchly's vision ... stated, "There is no reason to suppose the average boy or girl cannot be master of a personal computer".
John, you may have the earliest printed usage of the term. Although the descriptor is vague and generic, it dose satisfy the literal text of the challenge.

Kudos, John!

Best!
SlideRule
(09-01-2016 01:30 AM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ]ps: congrats GERSON! I can find no other written use of the term personal computer prior to the HP 9100 article, circa 1968.

The very earliest occurrence of the term “personal
computer” yielded by JSTOR dates from
1968. In the 4 October 1968 issue of the journal
Science, Hewlett-Packard ran an advertisement
for the HP 9100. The 9100 was the first scientific
desktop calculator, and was programmable,
with programs stored on a magnetic card. The
advertisement described the product as “The
new Hewlett-Packard 9100A personal computer.”

Too bad the picture of the ad seems too small to see the reference to "personal computer" there. In the HP Journal from September of 1968, it is called a "calculator". In any case, this is the one from May of '74 which comes to my mind:

[Image: HP65.jpg]

Jake
(09-04-2016 03:37 AM)Jake Schwartz Wrote: [ -> ]Too bad the picture of the ad seems too small to see the reference to "personal computer" there.

Here is a high-res version of the ad where you can actually read it (in the first paragraph).
Reference URL's