HP Forums

Full Version: [HP 48gII (2007 model), HP 39gII] Power via USB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

the HP 39gs, 40gs, 50g and Prime can be powered via USB. Does this also apply to the 48gII (2007 model with 4 batteries, not the older model with 3 batteries) and the 39gII (using a completely different CPU)? I couldn't find any information regarding this anywhere. Does someone know for sure or has one of these two calculators to test?

Thanks and greetings,

Matthias
(08-17-2016 05:18 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

the HP 39gs, 40gs, 50g and Prime can be powered via USB. Does this also apply to the 48gII (2007 model with 4 batteries, not the older model with 3 batteries) and the 39gII (using a completely different CPU)? I couldn't find any information regarding this anywhere. Does someone know for sure or has one of these two calculators to test?

Thanks and greetings,

Matthias

I just hooked an HP39gII to USB-power, removed the batteries and the calculator still works.
Günter
(08-17-2016 08:43 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote: [ -> ]I just hooked an HP39gII to USB-power, removed the batteries and the calculator still works.
Günter

I just did nearly the same (I removed 2 of the 4 batteries) with an HP-48GII (late, 4-AAA version) and it also still works. Not a surprise, since it's basically 49G+ h/w with a smaller LCD. Not sure about the earlier, 3-AAA 48GII as I believe it uses a different, non-compatible serial/USB cable, which is not handy.
Thank you, Günter and Bob!

(08-17-2016 10:55 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2016 08:43 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote: [ -> ]I just hooked an HP39gII to USB-power, removed the batteries and the calculator still works.
Günter
I just did nearly the same (I removed 2 of the 4 batteries) with an HP-48GII (late, 4-AAA version) and it also still works. Not a surprise, since it's basically 49G+ h/w with a smaller LCD. Not sure about the earlier, 3-AAA 48GII as I believe it uses a different, non-compatible serial/USB cable, which is not handy.
Well, I would assume the earlier model variant of the 48gII doesn't support this.

As far as I understood, this was a new feature with the 50g and that the earlier 49g+ didn't support it, or does it? (Or have there been several versions of the 49g+ as well?)

This would result in the following rules of thumb:

- All models introduced in 2006 or later support it, all earlier models don't.
- All models with 4x AAA batteries (regardless if used in serial or parallel configuration) support it, all models with 3x AAA (or other types of batteries) don't.

Greetings,

Matthias
(08-17-2016 11:19 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I understood, this [power via USB] was a new feature with the 50g and that the earlier 49g+ didn't support it, or does it?

That's correct, the 49g+ has 3 AAA cells and cannot be powered via USB.
(08-18-2016 02:56 AM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]That's correct, the 49g+ has 3 AAA cells and cannot be powered via USB.

Yikes, my bad. I recalled the 48gII (2nd Ed.) was released with the 49g+, but (quick peek at all these machines) clearly the 48gII (1st Ed.) was released with the 49g+ (both use 3 x AAA, the "other" serial cable and no unit-to-unit cable port) while the 50g and 48gII 2nd Ed. both use the same h/w and features.

Given this, it seems the 2nd Ed. machine should have been called the HP-48.5g. Maybe the 48gII+? Oh never mind..... all 217 owners probably no longer care.

But it still has probably the best keyboard/label color scheme of any of these machines.
Reference URL's