HP Forums

Full Version: 34SII keyboard layout?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed Paul Dale mentioning a successor to the WP 34S in this thread.

Any thoughts on the keyboard layout? I realize that I may be stepping on toes now, but I love the concept of the WP34S but have not fallen in love with its keyboard layout quite yet.

As an example, the use of different shift keys ([f] and [g]) in combination with [+/-] and [EEX], is unintuitive to me (although I get that it allows the 2, 8, 10, and 16 base to be placed close together).

There is something with the 42s layout wich is just so appealing, but the softkeys obviously help a lot. And the concept for softkeys on the WP 43s is even better, given the extra screen real estate.

Also, the complex number handling on the WP34S has not blown me away yet either, but this may well be blamed on the limitations of the display.

Any rumors or leaks about the 34SII? Will it be open to suggestions from the forum?
(04-22-2016 10:04 PM)Hsilop Wrote: [ -> ]Any rumors or leaks about the 34SII? Will it be open to suggestions from the forum?

Suggestions will be welcome of cause! But don't expect us to respond to each of your wishes. A few points to start with:

- The display will support soft keys.
- IIRC there will be a few more keys then on a 34S/30b
- The basic software design will resemble a 34S with more resources.

The last point is a compromise: We just don't have the time for a complete redesign of the firmware. The more we can reuse, the better. And I think it is a good idea to allow the execution of existing code (after recompilation of or retyping the code).
I totally understand that you want to reuse as much as you can of the firmware / code. I think the WP34S is an excellent calculator, its only "flaws" in my opinion are imposed on it from the hardware it repurposes - and appear because of some brilliant HP calculators which it can't escape being compared to, like e.g. the 42S and 28 for complex numbers.

Is there any information out there about where you are going with the 34SII yet, e.g. some hints about the display and keyboard?
(04-23-2016 12:03 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote: [ -> ]- The display will support soft keys.
I was wondering if a "Hardware Platform" has been chosen upon which to build this new calculator. If so great. If not then aren't we dealing with the same issues that are keeping the WP-43S from being completed? Custom hardware is expensive, and in the small quantities that this forum and the open calculator community can purchase, make it difficult to get the economy of scale prices that come with an existing calculator platform. I am not saying any of this to be discouraging, I just wonder if a user flashable calculator better than the HP-30B is already in the market and hasn't been discontinued.

Thanks, Barry
(04-23-2016 08:07 PM)BarryMead Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-23-2016 12:03 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote: [ -> ]- The display will support soft keys.
I was wondering if a "Hardware Platform" has been chosen upon which to build this new calculator. If so great. If not then aren't we dealing with the same issues that are keeping the WP-43S from being completed? Custom hardware is expensive, and in the small quantities that this forum and the open calculator community can purchase, make it difficult to get the economy of scale prices that come with an existing calculator platform. I am not saying any of this to be discouraging, I just wonder if a user flashable calculator better than the HP-30B is already in the market and hasn't been discontinued.

Thanks, Barry

I may be wrong but I believe Switzerland is the future... ;-)
(04-23-2016 08:57 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]I may be wrong but I believe Switzerland is the future... ;-)
Massimo;
I've been thinking the same thing. An updated 34s would fit right in the DM 42L's 39 button keyboard and better display. With at least 16 K of merged memory and and their mini USB; this would be the calc that HP should have been making all these past 21 years. I hope you're right. - db
(04-23-2016 11:02 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-23-2016 08:57 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]I may be wrong but I believe Switzerland is the future... ;-)
Massimo;
I've been thinking the same thing. An updated 34s would fit right in the DM 42L's 39 button keyboard and better display. With at least 16 K of merged memory and and their mini USB; this would be the calc that HP should have been making all these past 21 years. I hope you're right. - db

At least they'll finally have a portrait unit! Maybe also suitable for other reissues (wink-wink nudge-nudge)...
If keypad and display are good enough, I'd be tempted to try use them with the 41L FPGA board.
Not having a "proper" 41 to sacrifice.

Added bonus if I can use it in 41 mode after the Frankenstein surgery.
(04-24-2016 09:35 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]At least they'll finally have a portrait unit! Maybe also suitable for other reissues (wink-wink nudge-nudge)...

Or maybe the WP34Sii is a landscape calculator Smile
We haven't seen any keyboard layouts from Walter yet. Ususally he is quit quick, so maybe he just can't get his head round a landscape unit yet ;-)
(04-24-2016 05:05 PM)Harald Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2016 09:35 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]At least they'll finally have a portrait unit! Maybe also suitable for other reissues (wink-wink nudge-nudge)...

Or maybe the WP34Sii is a landscape calculator Smile
We haven't seen any keyboard layouts from Walter yet. Ususally he is quit quick, so maybe he just can't get his head round a landscape unit yet ;-)

In the 34sII poll thread for a new name there are three entries ending in "P"; as stated in a following comment it stands for "Portrait". (wink-wink, nudge-nudge)
Furthermore I think to remember that Walter too is not particularly fond of landscape units.

Besides Michael some months ago wrote me that they were working on a portrait unit.
(04-24-2016 05:05 PM)Harald Wrote: [ -> ]We haven't seen any keyboard layouts from Walter yet. Ususally he is quit quick, so maybe he just can't get his head round a landscape unit yet ;-)

I think Walter is on "vacation" from this forum again. Sad

Günter
(04-24-2016 05:05 PM)Harald Wrote: [ -> ]We haven't seen any keyboard layouts from Walter yet. Usually he is quite quick, so maybe he just can't get his head round a landscape unit yet ;-)

If people don't react as usual, there may be unusual conditions sometimes. Wink

d:-)
Reference URL's