HP Forums

Full Version: Anyone ever combo'd 2 Xmems and an Advantage ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I looked around some and have seen several combinations of HP41 modules combined and have a few of them in my collection. (HPIL + ExtendedIO, triple XFun/X/Mem and a couple more).

Was thinking about making a double X/Mem which would be a handy one to have for putting in an unmodded HP41CX, and I probably will make one like that. Then I was thinking, a double X/Mem + Advantage might be a pretty slick combo to have too.

Has anyone tried making this one ??

I'm assuming the module housing would need milled internally (if not, all the better) but it occurs to me, are the Advantage innards the same size or smaller than an XFun module innards ??

I kinda hate to start cracking open modules if this combo won't fit no matter what. But if it would, it would be a slick item to have.

If this has been looked into and found too difficult/impossible, sigh . . .
Back in Educalc days I combined and Xfunctions and 2 Xmemories AND an extended I/O all in one module. (Why I didn't put that Extended I/O in the IL module has me scratching my head.)

I'm a little slow on picking up what people are doing now. Is it still possible to make/combine modules?
IMHO, combining modules make sense in the 1980's, but today, with the available technologies, it's less needed.

With the 41CL ...

Excluding the HP-IL interface, the only physical module needed for 41CL is the Time Module.
All the others ones are virtualized on the 41CL.

With one of the Diego's modules ... (Clonix-41/Clonix-D/NoV-32/NoV-64/USB-41)

Again, excluding the HP-IL interface, the only physical module needed when using one of these modules, is the Time Module and only for a 41C or a 41CV.
All the other modules can be loaded into one of the Diego's module. Also, the NoV series fully support HePaX.

The only combined module that I still use today is the double X-Memory module.
Diego modules also support that functionality but it's cheaper to buy 2 X-Memory modules and combined them, than use one of Diego module to do it.

Sylvain
(10-26-2015 04:21 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote: [ -> ]Again, excluding the HP-IL interface, the only physical module needed when using one of these modules, is the Time Module and only for a 41C or a 41CV.

Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

really?
I won't need to buy a ( meanwhile ) rare and expensive time module if I use a CX as basis for a CL ??
The CX' time circuitry is not removed during the CL conversion process? Are you sure?
Then I should buy a CX for my next CL.
(10-26-2015 09:52 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote: [ -> ]really?
I won't need to buy a ( meanwhile ) rare and expensive time module if I use a CX as basis for a CL ??
The CX' time circuitry is not removed during the CL conversion process? Are you sure?
Then I should buy a CX for my next CL.

Hello Michael,

Mmmm, it seems that I was not clear, sorry about that.

The part starting with "With the 41CL ..." and ending with "With one of the Diego's modules ..." only apply to the CL.
The part starting with "With one of the Diego's modules ..." until the end of the message only apply to Diego's modules.

So, for the 41CL you need first, a HP-41 fullnut donor (C, CV or CX) and if you want the timer functionality, you absolutely have to buy a Time module.
Everything else is part of the 41CL (X-Memory, X-Fnc/Mem, Ext-IO, PowerCL, etc)

For example, I have used a fullnut C and a Time module for my 41CLv2 and for my 41CLv3, I have used a fullnut CV and a Time module.
My physical port setup -> Port1: TimeModule, Port2: Serial Connector, Port3: empty, Port4: empty
My logical port setup -> several combinaisons of modules controlled by small FOCAL programs.

Sylvain

PS: I just sent an order to Monte for a 41CL v4 8-)

[edit: add the PS]
Appreciate the input.

As for the practicality of combining modules in an era when the HP41CL is available, I concur it isn't an imperative.

-However-

for a chronic sufferer of CAS, the thought of having another curio/oddity for the collection, particularly if the item is rare (and really, how many double XMem/Advantage modules could there be in the world?) and ethereally wondrous, it seems irresistible. Also, since I sent all my empty module housings to Diego, I keep thinking I need one or two, just in case, LOL.

Regarding the XI/O in a Triple XFun, um . . .

er . . .

uh . . .

I'm thunderstruck. And I guess that module constitutes the confirmation of what I'm contemplating is doable . . .
(10-26-2015 03:26 PM)4ster Wrote: [ -> ]Back in Educalc days I combined and Xfunctions and 2 Xmemories AND an extended I/O all in one module. (Why I didn't put that Extended I/O in the IL module has me scratching my head.)

I am surprised to hear about quadruple modules combination, I thought that triple modules was the maximum the housing allowed.

(10-27-2015 03:20 AM)TASP Wrote: [ -> ]-However-
for a chronic sufferer of CAS, the thought of having another curio/oddity for the collection, particularly if the item is rare (and really, how many double XMem/Advantage modules could there be in the world?) and ethereally wondrous, it seems irresistible.

Well, in that case, go ahead, have fun, I encourage you to do your double, triple and quadruple ??? modules combination. 8-)
Hi Sylvain,

While I can configure my Clonix modules for dual-Service, HEPAX, and 41CY, I couldn't configure the Advantage ROM and dual X-Mem. Is there a trick?

Dave
(10-27-2015 04:04 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]While I can configure my Clonix modules for dual-Service, HEPAX, and 41CY, I couldn't configure the Advantage ROM and dual X-Mem. Is there a trick?

Dave,

Nope! No trick, just impossible for now.

The special applications section allows the Clonix/NoV modules to hosts special functions.
Each function in that section is mutually exclusive and disable all the other ones.

So, when the "Dual Ext. mem." is chosen, the Clonix-D or the NoV-64 become a double-X-Memory module exclusively.
That is why I made the remark about being cheaper to build a double X-Mem module than using Clonix-D/NoV-64 to do the equivalent.

Clarification ...

Re-reading your comment, I think a clarification is in order.
The current firmware version on Diego's module does not allow X-Memory simulation AND ROM modules.
Altought, to my knownledge it could, for some reasons Diego forbid-it.
If I remember correctly the discussion that I had with Diego at the time, X-Mem is using internal RAM and ROM is using Flash.
My normal setup is a HP-41CX-HN with a Double-X-Memory module and either a Clonix-D or a NoV-64 module.

Sylvain

Edit: add the Clarification section
Hello all,

One more physical module required, 'blinky'. Now the HPIL printer and HPIL would negate the requirement for blinky but I like the IR printer versus the bulkier HPIL printer in my flight bag.

Also, now that my three woodstocks all IR print blinky is a must for the CL, which I carry everywhere.

Now to get the 71b to IR print. mmmmmmmmm!

Back to four boards in a 41 module, must be some milling going on inside the module for that to happen. Best I did was three.

Geoff
(10-27-2015 04:04 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Sylvain,

While I can configure my Clonix modules for dual-Service, HEPAX, and 41CY, I couldn't configure the Advantage ROM and dual X-Mem. Is there a trick?

Dave

GASP !!!

I'll have something EVEN MORE special !!!

(damn this CAS !!! What is the cure ??)
(10-27-2015 03:07 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote: [ -> ]Now to get the 71b to IR print. mmmmmmmmm!

Here's a start: hp71_ir.pdf

The source for PIRLEX can be found on Swapdisk 12.

Dave
(10-27-2015 03:07 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote: [ -> ]Back to four boards in a 41 module, must be some milling going on inside the module for that to happen. Best I did was three.

Geoff

I swear all that was packed in one module. I seem to remember I was late to the module combination party and the 41 was already on its way out as the latest and greatest. I think I was required to send in my modules to be combined, is it possible that the process was to write the images of the individual modules onto a higher capacity ROM and then destroy the originals to preserve copyright?

Steve
EduCALC Tech Note #6 is about combining 41 ROM's. It's interesting to note that combining ROM's and X-Mem is not recommended.
I was intrigue, and I researched all the EduCALC catalog that I have (22 physical and/or PDF) and I did not find in any of them the quadruple conversion.
It's perfectly possible, that the person behind the module conversion at S.O.S. did quadruple conversion, but he certainly did not advertised it the EduCALC catalog.

From EduCalc Catalog 52S Summer 1991 P.5 (Last EduCALC catalog for the HP 41/71/IL products)
Code:

Not Enough HP 41 Ports?  Combine two or three HP 41 modules into one!

Dual Modules: Combine a Quad Memory. Extended Memory or Time Module with each 
other or any normal Application Pac.

Triple Modules: Combine one Extended Functions and two Extended Memory Modules 
(this is the most common), or anyone normal Application Pac with two Extended 
Memory Modules (HP 41 CX).

HP IL Convenion: Your HP IL can be combined with either the HP IL Development, 
Extended IO or Plotter Module. 

All conversions are warranted by S.O.S. (not HP) for 1 year after conversion. 
Please allow 2 to 3 weeks. List any modules that you are enclosing for 
conversion on the order form and indicate that they are supplied by you. 
Price of service does not include modules.

Stock 531D [Double Module Conversion] ................................... $30.00 
Stock 531T [Triple Module Conversion] ................................... $55.00 
Stock 531L [HP IL Conversion] ........................................... $45.00
(10-28-2015 03:30 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]EduCALC Tech Note #6 is about combining 41 ROM's. It's interesting to note that combining ROM's and X-Mem is not recommended.

Dave,

The reason is practical and not technical.

Here is the extract ...
"Some combinations are not recommended: an Extended Memory Module combined with a ROM, for example.
This combination is not recommended because of the high future probability of wanting to combine extended memory modules with the extended functions module.
It makes good sense to combine two memory modules if a triple is not desired."

Sylvain
(10-28-2015 01:54 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-27-2015 03:07 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote: [ -> ]Now to get the 71b to IR print. mmmmmmmmm!

Here's a start: hp71_ir.pdf

The source for PIRLEX can be found on Swapdisk 12.

Dave

Yes! I remember that one now. I had read it 4 years ago.
From the CHIP HandHeld Conference Summer 1989 Conference Paper.
Great find! 8-)
Looked over the Edu-Calc item referenced and noticed they specifically mentioned Advantage + 2 XMems as a possible conversion. So it is possible, and, most likely, there are some in the world.

They also referenced a 'Printex' module. I'm assuming that's a reference to the 82143 printer.

Hadn't occurred to me to do a combo with the original printer. I'm not thinking I'd want that done to mine, I have HPIL modules already combined with XIO and DEVEL modules and works fine with the IL printer. The smaller buffer on the 82143 would probably slow down things compared to the IL printer, so why bother?

LOL, I have another unmodded HPIL module, and a Plotter module, at some point I'll combine them, and have the trifecta.
Reference URL's