HP Forums

Full Version: HP 34C For Sale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was my brother's calculator that he bought new and used at Michigan State University from 1980-86/90. He graduated in 1986 and 1990. He died in 1996. He lived in Florida and his things were stored at our family farm in Michigan. So when he put it away, I assume around 1986 or 1990, it was never used again. It is in "as found" condition. It has not been plugged in and/or turned on. My brother took good care of his things. However, there were a couple of ladybugs in the box and the inside [of the box] is slightly browned/foxed [probably due to typical farmhouse "wear and tear"] but otherwise everything seems to be in good order. The top of the box has one "side" of it missing and Scotch tape can be seen on it. I assume my brother did this and that happened in the course of his studies.
-- Everything is complete minus the one part of the box.

1) Calculator [+ case]
2) Transformer
3) Owner's Handbook -- Dated April 1980
4) Solving Problems booklet
5) Applications booklet
6) Service Card
7) Hewlett Packard Repair Receipt [with my brother's MSU address] Customer's Copy
8) 3 sheets from the Corvallis Service Center. One explaining current prices for repairs of certain models 01JUL8. One thank you and explaining that manufacture and sale was discontinued "several years ago" 19JUL8. And one with "tips" to "ensure added reliability" REV: 19NOV7 -- I am assuming these dates are circa 1987-88... so repairs must have been performed around that time.
9) And two "tags" that must have been affixed to the box [during repair] as some color/design is on the tape on the tags.
Pricing will be discussed with prospective buyer. I want to be fair to someone who will go through it and get it in perfect working order. (maybe all it needs is a thorough cleaning and a new battery pack....?)
Here are a few pictures: PM me if interested
[Image: DSC00429_zpsv1cgcvvs.jpg]
[Image: DSC00418_zpsopcepww4.jpg]
[Image: DSC00419_zps1p218lss.jpg]
[Image: DSC00420_zpsk9xjh3dw.jpg]
[Image: DSC00424_zps4eugg8ia.jpg]
[Image: DSC00425_zpsciynbu49.jpg]
[Image: DSC00426_zpskxo6yhzr.jpg]
[Image: DSC00427_zpsxq3gqpzt.jpg]
[Image: DSC00428_zps98njehvb.jpg]
[Image: DSC00415_zpsv61sycty.jpg]
After considering peoples' opinions I do not feel comfortable sending out an untested unit. I will therefore clean and test the unit myself [and post the results at a later date]. I seem to remember a thread on how to do this here somewhere.
My offer to sell this unit is therefore put on hold until further notice.

Terry K.
(07-10-2015 03:34 PM)Terry K Wrote: [ -> ]After considering peoples' opinions I do not feel comfortable sending out an untested unit. I will therefore clean and test the unit myself [and post the results at a later date]. I seem to remember a thread on how to do this here somewhere.
My offer to sell this unit is therefore put on hold until further notice.

Terry K.

Be careful when testing it. Make sure you have a good battery pack if you try it with the charger. There's some threads about what might occur.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
... and this is why I wanted to sell it "as is"... so somebody who knew what they were doing would not do this....as I just did. CAN THIS "lead" to the battery BE FIXED? If not can it be replaced? By the way... the inside is [was] perfect minus a few dust/dirt particles under the keys. All it needed was the keys and face cleaned and a new battery pack.

[Image: DSC00554_zpsgxtfhxte.jpg]
Ouch! Terry, sorry to see this. I'm not too familiar with the battery area of the 34, but it looks like this piece of plastic holds the terminal posts for the battery, and also provides the contacts for the charger.

You might be able to replace the torn mylar with standard wiring, depending on what the other end is attached to, and your soldering skills. Since these torn traces carry the main power from the batteries (and charger) to the circuit boards, you'll want to use a bit heavier gauge wire than the standard 22 gauge stuff you see around electronics. Maybe use 16 or 18 gauge.

Geoff Quickfall could certainly tell you how to proceed. Recommend that you send him that picture and ask his opinion. He's a real genius on these types of repair.

Best of luck.
(07-11-2015 01:28 AM)Brad Barton Wrote: [ -> ]Ouch! Terry, sorry to see this. I'm not too familiar with the battery area of the 34, but it looks like this piece of plastic holds the terminal posts for the battery, and also provides the contacts for the charger.

You might be able to replace the torn mylar with standard wiring, depending on what the other end is attached to, and your soldering skills. Since these torn traces carry the main power from the batteries (and charger) to the circuit boards, you'll want to use a bit heavier gauge wire than the standard 22 gauge stuff you see around electronics. Maybe use 16 or 18 gauge.

Geoff Quickfall could certainly tell you how to proceed. Recommend that you send him that picture and ask his opinion. He's a real genius on these types of repair.

Best of luck.

Thank you Brad. I will contact Mr. Quickfall.

She cleaned up real nice. Probably about as perfect as a used calculator can get. Notice the concave bend in the Program/Run switch: But not the Off/On one...? There are no scratches.
[Image: DSC00618_zpsjlczkbkk.jpg]
Here is a better picture of the damage:

[Image: DSC00642_zpsfdgce3vn.jpg]
Check this link:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/archive/in...-2111.html

You will need three sections of thin insulated wire, solder and solder iron, continuity tester (multi tester).

Cheers, Geoff
(07-11-2015 08:04 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote: [ -> ]Check this link:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/archive/in...-2111.html

You will need three sections of thin insulated wire, solder and solder iron, continuity tester (multi tester).

Cheers, Geoff

Thank you Geoff.

That is awesome you are making a book. Is this book available yet... and if so what is the name and price of it?
Outstanding! Thanks for the info Geoff.

Love this forum! Instant, expert advice just for the asking; with pictures no less.

Good luck with repairs Terry. Shoot me a pm when you get it back together and working, if you're still interested in selling. You may have been bitten by the CAS bug by then though. Smile
(07-11-2015 08:37 PM)Brad Barton Wrote: [ -> ]Outstanding! Thanks for the info Jeff.

Love this forum! Instant, expert advice just for the asking; with pictures no less.

Good luck with repairs Terry. Shoot me a pm when you get it back together and working, if you're still interested in selling. You may have been bitten by the CAS bug by then though. Smile

Well I did "get my geek on" about a month ago and took my 1985 Radio Shack [I hope this is not out of bounds as this is an HP forum] EC-2006 8 digit calculator completely apart, super-cleaned it, and put it back together. Just hearing the "click" of the keys takes me back.... I don't think I would sell it for any price even though it's probably only worth about 2 bucks.
(07-11-2015 11:55 PM)Terry K Wrote: [ -> ]Well I did "get my geek on" about a month ago and took my 1985 Radio Shack [I hope this is not out of bounds as this is an HP forum] EC-2006 8 digit calculator completely apart, super-cleaned it, and put it back together. Just hearing the "click" of the keys takes me back.... I don't think I would sell it for any price even though it's probably only worth about 2 bucks.

Dude, you're already a victim. My condolences...and welcome to the club.
This calculator is being fixed at this time.
Reference URL's