HP Forums

Full Version: Cleaning Spice & other old calculators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that I again have a working Spice Series calculator, in good condition,
I'm wondering what sort of cloth is best to clean it with. Especially I don't
want to scratch the display.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Bob
Whatever you use, just keep using a clean part so you don't drag grit around taking the shine off.
I clean calculators with Novus polish. I use the #2 polish to get out any small scratches before using the #1 for cleaning. The #3 is too abrasive to use on anything but the hardest plastic, so i avoid it.

To apply these I use non-woven gauze sponges like these.

Also, if there are ink marks I take those off with isopropyl alcohol before I start polishing.
(03-30-2015 05:02 AM)Katie Wasserman Wrote: [ -> ]Also, if there are ink marks I take those off with isopropyl alcohol before I start polishing.

Is isopropyl alcohol safe for the painted labels below the keys? And what strength do you recommend? The usual 70% or something different?

BTW, I often use disposable wet cleaning wipes for glasses or lenses, for instance like these. I think they work quite well. Since they are designed for cleaning delicate (and coated) glass surfaces they can be expected to do no harm to calculator displays either.

Dieter
If you know anybody who used to do (maybe still does!) his/her own processing of photographic film, ask about the cloth they use to wipe any possible dust off of the film strip before they make prints from it. These have to be clean and soft enough to not scratch the delicate photo emulsion. A real camera store might still sell these (not sure about pseudo camera stores (i.e. Best Buy, etc)).
(03-30-2015 06:01 AM)Dieter Wrote: [ -> ]Is isopropyl alcohol safe for the painted labels below the keys? And what strength do you recommend? The usual 70% or something different?

I would not clean painted labels with alcohol at all, just use Novus #1, that's safe in my experience. However alcohol (I use 99% isopropyl) on the case works great for removing ink and I've never seen it damage the plastic.
(03-30-2015 06:01 AM)Dieter Wrote: [ -> ]Is isopropyl alcohol safe for the painted labels below the keys? And what strength do you recommend? The usual 70% or something different?

BTW, I often use disposable wet cleaning wipes for glasses or lenses, for instance like these. I think they work quite well. Since they are designed for cleaning delicate (and coated) glass surfaces they can be expected to do no harm to calculator displays either.

Dieter

Isopropylalcohol is NOT save! I wiped part of a yellow printed label of a HP-25 away. I still suffer from this shock. I used high percentage alcohol, I don't know if lower percentage would be safe, but I don't think so. Even pure water I mistrust now.

Instead I like to know, how it could be possible to reprint the labels? Has anybody done an attempt by silk screen printing?

Bernhard
Thanks all for these great suggestions !

Bob
(03-30-2015 04:23 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote: [ -> ]

Dieter

Isopropylalcohol is NOT save! I wiped part of a yellow printed label of a HP-25 away. I still suffer from this shock. I used high percentage alcohol, I don't know if lower percentage would be safe, but I don't think so. Even pure water I mistrust now.

Instead I like to know, how it could be possible to reprint the labels? Has anybody done an attempt by silk screen printing?

Bernhard

Yes the paint on the face plate labels becomes very delicate with age on the Woodstock series. I'm not sure wiping them with mild soap and water is safe.
Reference URL's