HP Forums

Full Version: HP35 V2 surprise on auction site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently won a HP 35 Version 2, on a popular auction site, it was advertised as a non working unit for parts only, I took a gamble as I only wanted it to fill a space in the HP35 line up, after all it was only $25.
I didn't take much to "fire it up", ( lucky), and to my surprise it had the 2.02 bug.

Q. I thought the 2.02 bug would have been ironed out in the Red Dot versions,
would there have been many V2's that went under the radar ?

Regards
Ray
(02-12-2015 11:46 AM)vk6ti Wrote: [ -> ]I recently won a HP 35 Version 2, on a popular auction site, it was advertised as a non working unit for parts only, I took a gamble as I only wanted it to fill a space in the HP35 line up, after all it was only $25.
I didn't take much to "fire it up", ( lucky), and to my surprise it had the 2.02 bug.

Regards
Ray

My Congratulations!
I have also an HP-35 Version 2 but without the 2.02 bug. It came from France and has a french back label. I have no information about when the bug was detected and replacement was offered. Only 25% of customers used the offer. If I ever build an ACT for the HP-35, I could easily implant the 2.02 bug Smile

Bernhard
Hi Bernhard ,
I could only imagine developing an ACT for the HP35 that you would inherently come up with bugs of your own in early stage ?, or it's not like that?.

You could call them Bernhard's Bugs. :-)

Ray
(02-12-2015 10:42 PM)vk6ti Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Bernhard ,
I could only imagine developing an ACT for the HP35 that you would inherently come up with bugs of your own in early stage ?, or it's not like that?.

You could call them Bernhard's Bugs. :-)

Ray

Hello Ray,

I must disappoint you. Because the ACT is an emulator which runs the original HP microcode it is impossible to induce my own bugs. To reproduce the 2.02 bug I just need to run the original 2.02 buggy ROM code.

Of course, in my programmers live I need two third of my time for debugging, as anybody else Sad

Bernhard
(02-12-2015 11:03 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote: [ -> ]I must disappoint you. Because the ACT is an emulator which runs the original HP microcode it is impossible to induce my own bugs.

That didn't stop bugs from being introduced into the emulation layer of the HP-15LE...
(02-12-2015 11:46 AM)vk6ti Wrote: [ -> ]I recently won a HP 35 Version 2, on a popular auction site, it was advertised as a non working unit for parts only, I took a gamble as I only wanted it to fill a space in the HP35 line up, after all it was only $25.

Regards
Ray

The bug fix offer came out after version 2 starting shipping. I bought my HP-35 version 2 (non-red dot) a couple of months before receiving the free repair offer from HP and took them up on their offer. I still have that in my collection along with a non-bugged-fixed version 2 and a yes-bug-fixed red dot version 1 (i.e., red dot). There are many non-bug-fixed version 2 HP-35's out there. However finding a non-bug-fixed version 3 or 4 should be impossible and if found would indicate some sort of board/ROM swap took place.
Reference URL's