HP Forums

Full Version: HP-2225 Printer Carriage/Cable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know there have been threads about these parts in the past in the forum. Just curious if anyone knows of either new carriage assy's PN 02225-60914 or the flat cable. Seems like ALL the spare part 2225's I've bought recently have bad ribbons. 5 printers, one good ribbon....

If there are absolutely no sources for this, could a little PCB be built to connect to the cartridge?
The problem with this cable is that the ink used in these printer is some what corrosive and to make matters worse the cartridges tend to leak, so any print that was stored with an ink cartridge installed likely has broken connections on the head cable due to the copper traces being corroded away. I probably have a functional cable here, I have a couple printer mechanisms here that I scavenged for parts for the 2225B I have that I no longer use, but I will need to dig them out to check them.
I know, the corrosive nature of the ink is why I've tried to buy units that do not have the cartridge still sitting in them. I figure that perhaps there would be a better chance the cable survived if the cartridge wasn't allowed to leak everywhere. Unfortunately even this strategy has yielded only one good cable out of three.
Hi Adam,

Thank Bob for this one.

But you can blame me for posting.

The new replacement part number is Q7453A. Bob found it on Amazon, but you can find them cheaper elsewhere, like here for less than $11.

No, this cable won't work.

Also, the original ink cartridge has been replaced one that will work with regular paper, P/N 51604A.

Dave

Edit: Retraction.
(08-25-2016 03:49 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]...but you can find them cheaper elsewhere, like here for less than $11.

Obviously Dave beat me posting this, but yeah.

The site Dave points to is quite cheap, but unfortunately only sells to Gov't agencies, but with the p/n it may be possible to locate it elsewhere, but I just ordered one through Amazon, while it was available.
(08-25-2016 03:49 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Adam,

Thank Bob for this one. The new replacement part number is Q7453A. Bob found it on Amazon, but you can find them cheaper elsewhere, like here for less than $11.

[Image: 71DQLzReNPL._SL1500_.jpg]

Also, the original ink cartridge has been replaced one that will work with regular paper, P/N 51604A.

Dave

Hi,

thank you for the link.
Did someone manage to install this replacement into a ThinkJet?
I just found this a couple days ago, so none have been received yet.

For me, I have about 273 projects in front of this, but I wanted to grab one while they were available, so when I catch-up (a year from now?) I have the part I need available.

But it would be good to hear how these repairs turn out!
(08-28-2016 12:54 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote: [ -> ]Did someone manage to install this replacement into a ThinkJet?

Hi,
today obtained some of these parts. Obviously they are no direct replacement, but I will investigate whether the cable can be extracted and inserted into the 2225 printer.

The part seems to be intended for industrial applications to you build your own printer. An application of this cartridge holder / cable assy can be found in a PDF-document which can be downloaded from the Parallax Forum.

Martin
Super!

Besides fixing my 2225 printers I have a use for my BoeBot now!
With regard to the business end of the cable, the mounting holes for the two clips are spaced differently and the original cable makes a sharp turn and narrows near the end, which the replacement cable doesn't.

Despite many websites identifying this cable as being compatible with the 2225 and QuietJets, it definitely isn't with the 2225.

Perhaps one of our HP contacts can confirm whether or not a replacement cable exists.

Dave
(08-31-2016 07:33 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote: [ -> ]Edit 3: document deleted [4-OCT-2016]

I have placed a "how-I-did-it" document at http://www.mh-aerotools.de/hp/documents/...202225.pdf.

The document shows how a ThinkJet with a broken Flexprint cable can be repaired using the new cable. This is for tinkerers, not a ready-made plug-and-play solution.
The result will not maintain a museum quality 100% original device, but the modification is minor, almost invisible and reversible.
It is a solution if you want to actually use your printer - especially the portable HP-IL version is nice to use with a HP 71 or HP-75 due to its battery power supply.

Martin
[attachment=11868][attachment=11869]
Hello Martin,
thank you very much for your guide "Fixing the ThinkJet". I have successfully used it to revive an HP-2225C. The flexible ribbon cable (HP Q7453A Carriage Assembly) comes from this Dutch seller:
https://www.arrayink.com/hp-q7453a-carri...embly.html
Because there is significantly more free space in the HP-2225C than in the HP-2225B, I was able to use an FPC FFC converter connector board 16P 1.0mm and connect it to the printer's mainboard with individual lines. Everything worked right away, as the test printout shows.
Klaus,

very nice - the SMD connectors seem to be easier to obtain than the through hole variants and these adapter boards simplify soldering. I also got a few of them.

Martin
Reference URL's