HP Forums

Full Version: HP Prime Infinite Sum Bug?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I posted this question over at the HP Calculator site (http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...-p/6662418), thought I'd ask here as well.

HP Prime, in CAS mode, when I enter "sum(1/sqrt(n), n, 1, infinity)", the Prime returns a screen full of warnings (see attachments.)

I believe the correct answer should be "+ infinity", as I get from Wolfram Alpha as well as the TI-Nspire CAS.

Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone else duplicate this behavior on their own machine? I verified this on the Prime Virtual Calculator, Version 2014 3 31, Rev 6031 (latest firmware, as far as I know.)

Thanks,

- Kevin
Sorry, convergence of series is not yet implemented in giac. I plan to do that as part of the new step by step feature.
sum tries to find a closed form for the discrete antiderivative (that's why you see all these messages), it fails, hence returns the sum unevaluated.
(11-05-2014 12:34 PM)parisse Wrote: [ -> ]part of the new step by step feature.
Oh, that's exciting Smile
(Coming to KhiCAS too ? Tongue)
If I can find a way to display intermediate computations on the nspire screen.
Thanks for the (definitive) answer!

Happy to hear that things are in the works to address these types of problems in future firmware releases.

- Kevin
(11-05-2014 12:34 PM)parisse Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, convergence of series is not yet implemented in giac. I plan to do that as part of the new step by step feature.
sum tries to find a closed form for the discrete antiderivative (that's why you see all these messages), it fails, hence returns the sum unevaluated.

I hope you could do it soon in a next firmware upgrade, thank you!
It would be very interesting...

Salvo
...another Series I would se calculated in Prime:
sum((-1)^(k+1)/K^2, k, 1, infinity)
It should give π^2/12

Thank you
Salvo
Reference URL's