HP Forums

Full Version: [WP 31s] difficulty with STO/ RCL X Y Z T
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,

my WP 31s works fantastic, just one thing I can't figure out:
How does STO/ RCL work with registers X to T?

The preliminary owners manual version 1.2q says on page 30:
"Note that you will not need [f] in αT except for addressing the four lowest stack registers." [i.e. X, Y, Z, T] I understand that for X to T, I do need [f].

So what I do is:
RCL [f] [y] to recall the Y register. Instead I get the content of R2. Effectivly,
the calculator seems to ignore the [f] key in this situation. In this situation,
the f indicator does not light up in the display, normally it does.

What am I doing wrong?
My firmware version is 3671. Thanks everybody for advise and of course for this very nice calculator.

Kind regards, Stephan
I believe to access X, Y, Z and T you actually need to prefix the register with the ENTER key. For example:

17 STO ENTER T will put 17 in the T register

RCL ENTER T will recall the value in the T register.

(Please see the table about "Addressing Real Numbers" on Page 27 of the WP34 manual for the definitive discussion!)
(10-19-2014 06:09 PM)BobVA Wrote: [ -> ]I believe to access X, Y, Z and T you actually need to prefix the register with the ENTER key. For example:

17 STO ENTER T will put 17 in the T register

RCL ENTER T will recall the value in the T register.

(Please see the table about "Addressing Real Numbers" on Page 27 of the WP34 manual for the definitive discussion!)

You can also use the period/decimal key:

17 [STO] [.] [T] ---> [EDIT - This is wrong! - use the ENTER key]

[RCL] [.] [T]

One slight advantage to using [ENTER] vs [.] is that the calculator displays an 's' indicating you are accessing a shifted memory location. (I do not recall if the 's' actually indicates 'shifted', but that seems likely.) With [.] there is no indication--but it works.

This also seems to work with the register arithmetic functions.

[EDIT - This is incorrect. Use the [ENTER] key! See below.]

-Jonathan
Thank you both for your advice. Using [.] doesn't seem to work on my calc (strange?), but [ENTER] works perfectly, including arithmetic functions.

Best, Stephan
(10-19-2014 07:51 PM)Stephan2 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you both for your advice. Using [.] doesn't seem to work on my calc (strange?), but [ENTER] works perfectly, including arithmetic functions.

Odd. I'm running build 3680 (2014-10-10) which I just downloaded and installed.

-Jonathan
(10-19-2014 07:06 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote: [ -> ]I do not recall if the 's' actually indicates 'shifted', but that seems likely.

It stood for stack originally.

- Pauli
(10-19-2014 08:03 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote: [ -> ]Odd. I'm running build 3680 (2014-10-10) which I just downloaded and installed.
My firmware version is slightly older (3671). Maybe it's just that. I can update the firmware, but it will take until next weekend.
Here's what I do:
[f] CLEAR RESET [y] -> Erased
123 [STO] [+] [.] [x] -> 123 (wrong)
123 [STO] [+] [ENTER] [x] -> 246 (right)

I can live with just the [ENTER] way, obviously. But indeed it's odd.
(10-19-2014 07:51 PM)Stephan2 Wrote: [ -> ]Using [.] doesn't seem to work on my calc (strange?), but [ENTER] works perfectly, including arithmetic functions.

I was wrong!

When I waas doing [STO] [.] [T]
I was actually storing into register 4---I just thought it was register T!
I should have checked with [ENTER] to verify.

So definitely use [ENTER], as it says in the the 31s manual.

-Jonathan
Ok, another mystery solved then. ;-) Thank you all again for your help.
Reference URL's