HP Forums

Full Version: HP 50g Compare Strings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you compare the contents of a variable to a string in algebraic notation on an HP 50g? I've tried both the following ('a' contains either "Y" or "N")

Code:

IF ' 'a' == "Y" ' THEN
IF 'a == "Y" ' THEN

Of course neither one works. So how do you do it?

TIA

Tom L
(09-01-2014 12:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]How do you compare the contents of a variable to a string in algebraic notation on an HP 50g? I've tried both the following ('a' contains either "Y" or "N")

Code:

IF ' 'a' == "Y" ' THEN
IF 'a == "Y" ' THEN

Suggestion: Don't use an algebraic. Just use IF a "Y" SAME THEN.
(09-01-2014 12:09 PM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2014 12:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]How do you compare the contents of a variable to a string in algebraic notation on an HP 50g? I've tried both the following ('a' contains either "Y" or "N")

Code:

IF ' 'a' == "Y" ' THEN
IF 'a == "Y" ' THEN

Suggestion: Don't use an algebraic. Just use IF a "Y" SAME THEN.
That works, thanks! You should be canonized, but I can't find my cannon at the moment. ;^)
(09-01-2014 01:25 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]That works, thanks! You should be canonized, but I can't find my cannon at the moment. ;^)

No need; I'm already a canon regular. Big Grin
(09-01-2014 10:24 PM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2014 01:25 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]That works, thanks! You should be canonized, but I can't find my cannon at the moment. ;^)

An absolutely perfect setup like that does not come along every day Wink
(09-01-2014 10:24 PM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]

You win! Big Grin BTW, I figured out how to do what I originally wanted to do. To test for a string in algebraic notation, enclose the test in reverse quotes (the character just before the lowercase a in the CHAR screen.)

This works:

Code:
IF `a=="N"` THEN
Reference URL's