HP Forums

Full Version: What is the font in the 110+ ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In cleaning up my old 110+ I LOVE the old screen font on this thing and want to replicate it on my Macs & PCs.

anyone know how to do that? Or what the font is called?

Thanks!

John
(08-05-2014 10:13 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]Or what the font is called?

HP Roman8 Bold and HP Roman8 Light.
Thanks can I find those commercially and insert them into use in the Mac OS and the Windows OS?
(08-06-2014 10:45 AM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks can I find those commercially and insert them into use in the Mac OS and the Windows OS?

If you do find them, they will probably not look very good on a modern GUI; the fonts in the 110+ are raster fonts (bitmaps) not vector fonts (graphical drawings done by the host machine), so they very likely will appear quite blocky and crude, rather than smooth. Also, they likely include only in 1 or 2 fixed sizes, and will not scale well.

But I'd be curious to see the result so do holler if you find it.

BTW John - do you know which manuals came with a new 110+ ? Been trying to track them down, and not sure what was included. I have located a 110 manual that came in a short DOS-style 3-ring binder, with sections on Memomaker, PAM, Terminal, and DOS.
Bob:

This may find funny but "crude" is the goal! The old simple stuff is part of the charm of the 110+ for me. Ditto for the calcs!

I have been on the road most of the summer but did get back to my storage units and have uncovered the following:

1) the 110+ PC which has the 1MG board installed in it.

2) The editions of the l "Portable Paper"

3) About 100 loose 3.5' discs for the 110 & 150 II which I still am sorting through.

Go question about the manuals! As I recall, I got a simple plastic fold out for the computer and the large manual for LOTUS 123 which was the plug in when I got it. But I have not uncovered those.

I will post more later about my discoveries. The software gets copied & given away.

I really want the Roman* font for the PC & MAC! So if anybody is reading this let me know.

Thanks,

John Kercheval
The 82440 uses the Roman8 font but I'm not sure how different that is from the HP-Roman8 Bold and Light fonts. The Roman8 TrueType font for the 82440 is available here.

Dave
It is very different. But thanks for the response anyway! I am grateful for any/all help I get here from all of you fine people
Not the font you want, but also in the retro style. I found these recreations of the original bitmap 1984 era mac fonts which are quite nostalgic.

http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fon...ewal.shtml

You can find free versions of "chicago" out there too which also has a classic feel. The bitmap version is still used in some places by apple, notably the (pre iPhone) iPod UIs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_(typeface)

John
Ok I like this & Thanks!

How do I install Chicago on the MacBook pro?
(08-09-2014 10:46 AM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I like this & Thanks!

How do I install Chicago on the MacBook pro?

Hello John,

You can download the ChicagoFLF font from here: http://www.fontspace.com/casady-and-greene/chicagoflf
Once downloaded, double-click on casady-and-greene_chicagoflf.zip to unzip the file, then double-click on ChicagoFLF.ttf to bring up the FontBook popup dialog and click on "Install" button.

Sylvain
THANKS! That worked & Great!
Looking at the Chicago font reminds me of the original Macintosh (What a great little thing by the time)
Is that the same font?

Note: just found this link: http://jamesfriend.com.au/pce-js/pce-js-apps/
Can't beliveve there's an online Mac emulation....
(08-10-2014 06:07 AM)Tugdual Wrote: [ -> ]Is that the same font?

Yes.

Quote:Because Chicago is deeply integrated into the Macintosh System, used in menus, titles, etc., it is a fundamental part of the look of the Macintosh.

Notes on Apple 4 Fonts

Cheers
Thomas
Reference URL's