HP Forums

Full Version: HP-28S questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, now I have clock working on my new HP-28S with the great help of the forum. Thanks!

HP-28S quickly placed itself as my favorite calculator, and I like it very much! Much easier to use than other RPL's I have (48GX & 50G)! Having not used RPL for a decade (except some unsatisfactory experiments with HP-50G), I'll try to return to it.

So I have a lot of Qs, including, but not limited to:

1. Where can I get archives of comp.sys.hp28?
2. Please, give me some clues, which ftp sites with HP-28 programs are still alive? Or mirrored? (I've already got everything from http://ftp.funet.fi).
3. How do you enter different characters, eg ":" or ";" not using CHR?
4. Is there any (semi)OFFICIAL SYSEVAL list fo HP-28S with docs?
5. Is there any HP-28S/48GX or, at least, 48SX function comparison document?
6. I have user manual, reference guide and all hpmuseum DVDs, but found no info on HP-28 sysrpl programming. Where to search?

tia,
x34
Have you looked at hpcalc.org? They have a decent amount of 28C/S material there.
(07-28-2014 02:10 PM)x34 Wrote: [ -> ]3. How do you enter different characters, eg ":" or ";" not using CHR?

There's no way to enter these characters on the HP-28 keyboard directly.

(07-28-2014 02:10 PM)x34 Wrote: [ -> ]4. Is there any (semi)OFFICIAL SYSEVAL list fo HP-28S with docs?

There's no entry point list for the 28S from HP. JFG made one end 1996 with ~770 entries. I picked up this list and expanded it to ~2600 entries, but there are still many entries missing, especially the UI ones which implementations are different to the HP-48SX. This list is available here. This list can also be used to create a symbolic entry table for the Emu42 code debugger and RPL object viever.

(07-28-2014 02:10 PM)x34 Wrote: [ -> ]6. I have user manual, reference guide and all hpmuseum DVDs, but found no info on HP-28 sysrpl programming. Where to search?

There was not much sysrpl programming for the HP-28 end of the 80'ies, because it was quite annoying to enter sysrpl programs into a real HP-28. I don't know what people like Joe Horn have known about the internals of these calculators at this time, but when you have had a look a comp.sys.hp28 the community don't know too much (but we have to respect that they hadn't the possibilties we now have with Emu42). I got my knowledge from disassembling the HP-28S ROM inside Emu42 and compare the disassembly with HP-48SX routines. The reference for sysrpl programming is still RPLMAN.DOC from the HPTOOLS package inside HP 48 Goodies Disk, Vol. 4, but you should use a more recent assembler/compiler like HP Tools for Win32.
(07-28-2014 02:17 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]Have you looked at hpcalc.org? They have a decent amount of 28C/S material there.

Sure, Dave, it was my first step. Unfortunately, many programs @hpcalc lack description, and some contain errors. Almost all programs from hpcalc are available at http://ftp.funet.fi, albeit newer versions.

Thanks you very much, Cristoph! The file is huge, and I do not understand, what are many entries are doing. I'll definitely read Goodies HP-48SX files before asking for more.
And will play with HP-28S ROM with your emulator (is it available for Android?). BTW, does Android Free42 by Thomas Okken support HP-28S?

I remember (I could be mistaken) xls files listing differences between HP-28C/S and HP-48S/G, but could not find it. Is it available now or was it just my dream? Smile

tia,
x34
(07-28-2014 07:44 PM)x34 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember (I could be mistaken) xls files listing differences between HP-28C/S and HP-48S/G, but could not find it. Is it available now or was it just my dream? Smile

Was it this one?
(07-28-2014 08:15 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-28-2014 07:44 PM)x34 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember (I could be mistaken) xls files listing differences between HP-28C/S and HP-48S/G, but could not find it. Is it available now or was it just my dream? Smile

Was it this one?

Absolutely! Thank you, Didier!
(07-28-2014 07:44 PM)x34 Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, does Android Free42 by Thomas Okken support HP-28S?

No way! Free42 is a complete reimplementation of the 42s functionality and does not emulate any HP hardware.
Reference URL's