HP Forums

Full Version: Need help programming HP-35s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to program my new HP-35s with a programing book written back in 2007. I'm not sure if there have been any firmware updates on the calculator since then, so that could be the source of my problem.

My question is in regards to step A013 (as seen in the image below), it calls for pressing the roll down "R↓" key, however when I press that key I get the option to then choose which stack XYZT to use. It then puts REGX, REGY, etc... as the line of code and not "R↓" as shown below. I've tried all 4 stacks and the program still does not work with them. I've also noticed that my calculator puts paraenthesis in after using things like SIN ABS etc... when the program doesn't show them, should they be deleted or does it make no difference?

The program is supposed to convert Azimuths to Bearings and also give the quadrant the bearing is in. If programmed correctly I should get an output of "54.3655" and "2.0000" if the input is "125.2316"

[Image: sQb8gmm.png]
(07-26-2014 08:59 PM)kjac Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to program my new HP-35s with a programing book written back in 2007. I'm not sure if there have been any firmware updates on the calculator since then, so that could be the source of my problem.

Be assured there were no firmware updates on that calculator model at all, so that's not the source of your problem.

d:-/
(07-26-2014 08:59 PM)kjac Wrote: [ -> ]My question is in regards to step A013 (as seen in the image below), it calls for pressing the roll down "R↓" key, however when I press that key I get the option to then choose which stack XYZT to use. It then puts REGX, REGY, etc... as the line of code and not "R↓" as shown below. I've tried all 4 stacks and the program still does not work with them. I've also noticed that my calculator puts paraenthesis in after using things like SIN ABS etc... when the program doesn't show them, should they be deleted or does it make no difference?

Be sure you are in RPN mode (MODE 5, see Getting Started p. 1-9)
I am in RPN mode as well as degree mode, I've skimmed through the user guide, but it hasn't helped me much.
(07-26-2014 09:57 PM)kjac Wrote: [ -> ]I am in RPN mode as well as degree mode, I've skimmed through the user guide, but it hasn't helped me much.

I can only replicate your observations when in ALG mode...
(07-26-2014 11:17 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2014 09:57 PM)kjac Wrote: [ -> ]I am in RPN mode as well as degree mode, I've skimmed through the user guide, but it hasn't helped me much.

I can only replicate your observations when in ALG mode...

It says RPN at the top, so if I'm in ALG mode then I don't know how. Here's a snapshot of my calculator after pressing the R↓ key followed by the Enter key.

[Image: dItInZG.jpg]

I also downloaded an HP-35s emulator to see if there was something buggy with my calculator, but I got the same results. Here's a download link to the emulator if anyone's interested.
The issue is that you are in EQN mode, as shown by the display indicator as well as by the step 12 where you don't have "STO Q" but "arrow Q", you should not be anymore in EQN mode after step 3.
Thanks for posting the photo.

The EQN indicator on the display shows that you are currently in Equation mode. That is used for entering a single algebraic expression (or a text message) while in RPN mode, and is activated by pressing the EQN key and ended by pressing Enter.

In your example, equation mode is only used for line A003. So, line A003 is entered by pressing EQN followed by RCL A RCL Z RCL I (etc) and terminated with Enter. The other lines are entered as indicated in the example.

Hope that helps a bit.

(Edit: Oops, Didier got there first! But the advice still applies)
(07-26-2014 11:30 PM)kjac Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2014 11:17 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]I can only replicate your observations when in ALG mode...

It says RPN at the top, so if I'm in ALG mode then I don't know how. Here's a snapshot of my calculator after pressing the R↓ key followed by the Enter key.

[Image: dItInZG.jpg]

I also downloaded an HP-35s emulator to see if there was something buggy with my calculator, but I got the same results. Here's a download link to the emulator if anyone's interested.

Now I see: you are in EQN mode. Turn it off.

Oooops, already 2 gave the answer. Smile
Ah I see, that helps a lot guys, thanks! I was using the EQN button to go to the next line of code, but it appears that is not the way to do it. I'll have to do a little more reading on programming it seems.
It is not easy to tell which lines are message and which are actually commands sometimes. Generally, pressing the EQN is not required until:

1. A message is to be typed. Look for SF 10 (Set flag 10: Left Shift, FLAGS, SF, decimal point key, zero key) and CF 10 (Clear flag 10: Left Shift, FLAGS, CF, decimal point key, zero key) to be nearby.

2. Any equation that looks algebraic, most likely involving registers (REGX, REGY, REGT, REGZ).
Reference URL's