HP Forums

Full Version: HP 67 flag 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been digging through the museum DVDs, and I've noticed there are lots of clever ways to use flag 3 on the HP 67 (which is set automatically whenever the user enters digits). Multi-variable equation solvers and real-time games seem to be the most popular uses.

Were there any other models that had such a flag? I can't think of any that I've run across (the S() function in the 17B/19B is the closest I've seen), but it seems like it would be a really useful feature to have.
On the HP 41c you have the data entry flags 22 & 23: flag 22 set for numeric entry, flag 23 for alpha data.
(05-26-2014 05:04 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]On the HP 41c you have the data entry flags 22 & 23: flag 22 set for numeric entry, flag 23 for alpha data.

Cool, then presumably the 42S has those flags as well?

Some day I'll give in and snag a basic 41C from ebay to mess around with. Today is (probably) not that day, though. Smile
(05-26-2014 05:22 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2014 05:04 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]On the HP 41c you have the data entry flags 22 & 23: flag 22 set for numeric entry, flag 23 for alpha data.

Cool, then presumably the 42S has those flags as well?

Yes.
(05-26-2014 04:49 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]I've been digging through the museum DVDs, and I've noticed there are lots of clever ways to use flag 3 on the HP 67 (which is set automatically whenever the user enters digits).

Yes. Of course this also works on the 97, and not only with manual data entry but as well with data cards (!).

Quote:Were there any other models that had such a flag?

Flags 22 and 23 on the 41-series have already been mentioned. That's why the official 41-series counterpart of a F?3 command when translating programs is FS?C 22. Remember, the 67/97's flags 2 and 3 are always cleared when they are tested.

BTW, the 34s also allows checks for data entry. There is a special ENTRY? command for this.

Dieter
(05-26-2014 07:18 PM)Dieter Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, the 34s also allows checks for data entry. There is a special ENTRY? command for this.

Dieter

Oh, nice. I just happen to be expecting delivery of a 30b in the next day or two. Does it also allow user input during PSE? Seems like I could port a lot of old 67/97 programs if so.
(05-26-2014 07:28 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, nice. I just happen to be expecting delivery of a 30b in the next day or two. Does it also allow user input during PSE? Seems like I could port a lot of old 67/97 programs if so.

The 34s works differently here, but it has some nice other options. Please take a look at p. 74 ff. of the current PDF manual (v. 3.2) and see what can be done with commands like ENTRY?, KEY? and KTP?.

Dieter
(05-26-2014 07:48 PM)Dieter Wrote: [ -> ]The 34s works differently here, but it has some nice other options. Please take a look at p. 74 ff. of the current PDF manual (v. 3.2) and see what can be done with commands like ENTRY?, KEY? and KTP?.
You can look at the library program MED (Matrix EDitor) to see a working example. I designed the KEY? and KTP? commands in order to make MED possible. Sometimes it pays off to be a member of the design team. Wink
(05-29-2014 01:32 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2014 07:48 PM)Dieter Wrote: [ -> ]The 34s works differently here, but it has some nice other options. Please take a look at p. 74 ff. of the current PDF manual (v. 3.2) and see what can be done with commands like ENTRY?, KEY? and KTP?.
You can look at the library program MED (Matrix EDitor) to see a working example. I designed the KEY? and KTP? commands in order to make MED possible. Sometimes it pays off to be a member of the design team. Wink

That sounds like it'll be a good example. Hopefully my vinyl overlays show up today, and I can replace the janky paper one I taped on.
(05-26-2014 07:28 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, nice. I just happen to be expecting delivery of a 30b in the next day or two.

After you have had a chance to use it (unless you bought it to turn into a 43s) I would appreciate hearing your opinion and that of anybody else who has one because I was thinking of getting one of these. I like the Voyager form factor but my 12C doesn't have trig functions and other useful stuff. This looks like about the next best thing from HP at the moment in the sub-battleship class. Have not read any reports of them locking up or freaking out with low batteries, etc. unlike the beleagured 35S.
The only HP "calculator" I've seen that has anything remotely similar is on the 9820 series where FLG 13 is set if an actual entry is made during an INPUT statement.
Reference URL's