HP Forums

Full Version: Concerning "elderly" HP48G/GXs :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I own three HP48GXs : I have my original "baby" which was my first GX that I got in 1995 and was manufactured in Singapore. I have another one that was purchased later and was manufactured in Indonesia ( with the "black" screen ). I also have another one that was also manufactured in Singapore but which came from one of the last batches of HP48GXs to be manufactured in Singapore.

My question relates to my "baby" Tongue 1995 HP48GX. Specifically, it tends to "creak" when I'm handling it. Furthermore, to use Texas slang, when I set the calc down on a flat surface it's "caddywompous" ie. not level, as if the rubber feet are all not the same height.

I've dropped the above GX so many times that I've lost count ( it is about 24 years old, and has been used continuously Smile ). I even once accidentally dropped the calc, while it was partially still in it's protective case, onto padded laminate flooring from about 3 or 4 feet and the RAM cards spilled out Big Grin But, it still functions to this day Smile

I was just wondering if anyone else's old HP48GX tends to "creak" like an old house when it's being used. My Indonesian HP48GX doesn't exhibit any "creaking".

Regards,

Jonathan
My SX always had a little bit of creaking, I think your dealing with the nature of tolerances here.
(03-12-2019 06:12 PM)EugeneNine Wrote: [ -> ]My SX always had a little bit of creaking, I think your dealing with the nature of tolerances here.
My SX (Singapore) is a and GX (Indonesia black LCD) e too....
My 48G (Singapore, blue screen) does make the same 'creaking' noises you report, and it has certainly become worse over time.

I would assume that heavy use and occasional drops have contributed to some small amount of plastic deformation at the stakes and latches, so that the calculator is no longer as tightly held together at the seams as it was when new.
Reference URL's