HP Forums

Full Version: RPL solver question: HP-50G vs HP-48SX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am still very much a neophyte when it comes to RPL calculators, although I own a 48SX, 48GX, 49G+, and a 50G, so bear with me as I ask for help on this relatively trivial problem which doesn't even involve programming. I cannot find or remember how to do the following on the 50G (in the built-in TVM solver), whereas it is a piece of cake on the 48SX with the TVM feature of the Equation Library card:

An example of what I want to do on the 50G (or 49g+ which is identical) is enter an interest rate via the edit feature that is either a function of the number of compounding periods, or a simple formula e.g. '1/(a*b*c)*d', where a, b, c, and d are real numbers - and all I get is "Error: Too few Arguments" or "Invalid Syntax".

On the 48SX it is a simple procedure: Recall N to the stack (BLUE SHIFT N), calculate the value for I using classic - well almost - RPN, press the soft menu key for I%YR, enter remaining known variables via the soft menu, then press ORANGE SHIFT and the variable to solve. Voila! Intuitive enough - at least to me.

How can I accomplish the same inside the 50G FINANCE menu?

Thanks,

Jeff K
(04-30-2014 10:37 PM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote: [ -> ]... I cannot find or remember how to do the following on the 50G (in the built-in TVM solver) ... How can I accomplish the same inside the 50G FINANCE menu?

Which 50g Finance app do you wish to use: the softkey menu obtained by pressing 9 while holding the left-shift key down, or the input form obtained by releasing the shift key before pressing 9? The former works like the '48 (same menu, I think?). The latter uses the standard "input form" method: just fill in the known values, highlight the unknown, and press the SOLVE softkey.

If that didn't help, just holler.
(04-30-2014 11:42 PM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]If that didn't help, just holler.

Joe,

Both methods you suggest bring up the TVM input screen, even if I toggle flag 117 between CHOOSE boxes and Soft Menu, so I do not see how I can get the same menu as the 48SX Equation Library App. I am therefore not following your post.

In "...the standard "input form" method: (where you) just fill in the known values, highlight the unknown, and press the SOLVE softkey", I cannot enter a calculated interest rate - only enter a value. That is my problem. Hollerin' ;-)

Jeff
(04-30-2014 11:53 PM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2014 11:42 PM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]If that didn't help, just holler.

Joe,

Both methods you suggest bring up the TVM input screen, even if I toggle flag 117 between CHOOSE boxes and Soft Menu, so I do not see how I can get the same menu as the 48SX Equation Library App. I am therefore not following your post.

In "...the standard "input form" method: (where you) just fill in the known values, highlight the unknown, and press the SOLVE softkey", I cannot enter a calculated interest rate - only enter a value. That is my problem. Hollerin' ;-)

Jeff

Jeff:

Hold down [RS] and press [7] to get to the Numeric Solver menu, then press [F5] for the TVM menu, then [F1] for the Solver. Pretty sure this is what you are looking for.

I'm curious how Joe has found a quicker way to access this, but like you, I get the same menu using the 2 methods he described. What's the secret here Joe? Some obscure flag setting?
(05-01-2014 01:40 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Hold down [RS] and press [7] to get to the Numeric Solver menu, then press [F5] for the TVM menu, then [F1] for the Solver.

That is precisely what I was looking for! Works the same on the GX too. Thank you very much and I too look forward to Joe's response.

Jeff
(05-01-2014 01:40 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2014 11:53 PM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote: [ -> ]Both methods you suggest bring up the TVM input screen...

What's the secret here Joe? Some obscure flag setting?

OH NOES! Sad Sorry... I have had a key assignment on LS+9 for so long that I forgot it isn't built in. <slaps self> In essence, I did the following one time many years ago:

<< 79 TMENU >>
ASN

After making that assignment, LS+9 (with the "+" meaning that the left-shift is held down while pressing the 9 key) launches menu 79, same as RS+7, F5, as Bob mentioned above.

Needless to say, I leave USER mode turned on all the time. I currently have ... let's see ... RCLKEYS SIZE 1 – 2 / ... 90 key assignments, and I use them so often that I don't need any keyboard overlays or stickers. There's no need to wrestle with HP's suboptimal keyboard choices when you can create your own key assignments. But I must learn to stop assuming that everybody has my key assignments. Sorry about that!

Edit: My choice for LS+9 is of course modeled on the existing 50g key definitions for RS-9 and RS+9, which parallel the 48G's RS-4 and LS-4, respectively.
Reference URL's