HP Forums

Full Version: hp 48 batteries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
Recently the batteries of my 48 leaked, and calculator became irresponsible. As I had been wanting for some time, I was able to buy another, almost brand new, manufactured in 1997 (I'm very happy) . now, I'm afraid of a new battery leak. The only solution to this is to keep the calculator without the batteries? In this case, I will lose the settings, and I will have to hit everything with each use. Is there any solution to keep the batteries in the calculator so they do not leak?
Thanks for any advice,
Nearly any battery can leak. Just make a habbit to replace once a year. If you swap them quick enough the capacitor inside keeps the memory intact. Also make a backup to your computer first.
NiMH (preferably LSD version like Eneloop) will usually not leak. It might vent if you over(dis)charge them, but that won't happen in the calculator.
I've had a couple no name and radio shack NiMH leak. But Eneloops I've used since they came out over 10 years ago. I do pull them out of everything and top them off at regular intervals .
(12-03-2018 05:53 PM)Marcelo Vanti Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,
Recently the batteries of my 48 leaked, and calculator became irresponsible. As I had been wanting for some time, I was able to buy another, almost brand new, manufactured in 1997 (I'm very happy) . now, I'm afraid of a new battery leak. The only solution to this is to keep the calculator without the batteries? In this case, I will lose the settings, and I will have to hit everything with each use. Is there any solution to keep the batteries in the calculator so they do not leak?
Thanks for any advice,

Sorry to hear this. I had a battery leak in an old (irreplaceable) Palm Pilot. It was Duracell, my first Duracell leak in 30 years. Since then I use only Lithium disposables (expensive!) or recently, Eneloops. I understand they cannot leak. I really don't know but I hope they can't.
Thank you guys.
 At first, the best thing to do is to change the batteries periodically, as was suggested. I will also test a set of Lithium batteries, should not leak, as I read here and elsewhere.
Are all HP's safe with the higher voltage of Lithium's?
(12-05-2018 05:33 PM)EugeneNine Wrote: [ -> ]Are all HP's safe with the higher voltage of Lithium's?
Good question, I've read somewhere that the voltage can reach 1.9 V, I do not know the impact on the calculator.
Also I forgot to mention that, even though I've never had an eneloop leak I have had NiMH leak so it seems to me that its possible. Thats why I swap mine out every so often. Buy two packs and make a schedule, say every time change to put the charged in and put charge the ones that were in the calculator.
(12-05-2018 05:33 PM)EugeneNine Wrote: [ -> ]Are all HP's safe with the higher voltage of Lithium's?

The ones I buy say 1.5V on the package.
Leakage doesn't ruin calculator immediately, it takes time - months at least until bad things happen. So yearly check should be enough.
Answer to 'which brand batteries never leak' is similar to 'which type/make cars never crash'.
Reference URL's