HP Forums

Full Version: HP Quick Calc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wonder who HP marketing department where aiming the HP Quick Calc at? From the sales brochure, it looks like they were aiming it at cool kids on the street. Cool kids without smartphones, presumably!

HP Quick Calc - Product Information
(06-18-2018 11:04 PM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder who HP marketing department where aiming the HP Quick Calc at? From the sales brochure, it looks like they were aiming it at cool kids on the street. Cool kids without smartphones, presumably!

HP Quick Calc - Product Information

Not too many kids, cool or otherwise, had smartphones in 2008.

Still, when color choice is the 7th item noted in the Specifications, it would seem it's not a feature-rich product...

But I have one on my refrigerator. Anyone else?
(06-19-2018 12:17 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Not too many kids, cool or otherwise, had smartphones in 2008.

Still, when color choice is the 7th item noted in the Specifications, it would seem it's not a feature-rich product...

But I have one on my refrigerator. Anyone else?

A couple of years back, someone was selling a box of 50 on eBay. I submitted a ridiculous BIN bid and the seller accepted. I set out the entire box at work with "Free Calculators" written on the side. There was a total of three takers.

Hmmm... Maybe something for the goodies table at HHC.
(06-19-2018 12:17 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]But I have one on my refrigerator. Anyone else?

Me too (never used it, though).
And the full color set aside. :)
(06-19-2018 12:17 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Not too many kids, cool or otherwise, had smartphones in 2008.

True. They're so ubiquitous these days, but only (mostly) the rich kids had them in 2008.

Quote:But I have one on my refrigerator. Anyone else?

It makes a funky looking fridge magnet if nothing else.
Hello!

(06-19-2018 12:17 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]But I have one on my refrigerator. Anyone else?

I have three or four or five or six of them in different colours (mostly not ever taken out of their package) but none of them on the fridge. Because ours has some wood on it to match the rest of the kitchen and one would need a superstrong Neodymium magnet to make anything stick on it. Besides, there is nothing to calculate whilst in the kitchen.
But overall the Quick calc is not the worst simple "four banger" calculator on the market. The anodised aluminium face looks a lot better than the usual plastic of the competition.

Regards
Max
"...nothing to calculate whilst in the kitchen" ??

Don't you use Baker's Percentages ?
(06-19-2018 04:50 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm... Maybe something for the goodies table at HHC.

I took 6 to HHC last year for the prize table... all of them taken.

Must be a slightly different crowd....
(06-19-2018 05:55 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Me too (never used it, though).
And the full color set aside. Smile

I too have a set of all colors set aside. The various HP marketing photos make it appear that there are many colors, but I've concluded there are only 4: Pink, Green, Gray, and Silver. Have you seen any others? I'd really hate to be missing one.

As for kitchen use, I rarely need to do math while cooking, but my kitchen is also the location of much family social activity. Still, if/when needed, I'll walk to the next room to use an RPN machine...

And I agree with Maximilian; for a cheap 4-banger the Quick Calc looks and feels much better than most.
We got out "batch" of the four colors and they also ended up stuck to the door of the fridge. My kids dubbed that calc "the Math Bar".

Jake
(06-19-2018 10:13 AM)rncgray Wrote: [ -> ]"...nothing to calculate whilst in the kitchen" ??

Don't you use Baker's Percentages ?

No, he uses the metric system. Big Grin
(06-19-2018 01:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]I've concluded there are only 4: Pink, Green, Gray, and Silver. Have you seen any others? I'd really hate to be missing one.

No, only the set of four. As they call them: bronze, green, pink, silver.
(06-19-2018 02:49 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]No, only the set of four. As they call them: bronze, green, pink, silver.

Ok, thanks!. Phew... well I guess life can continue, I got 'em all.

And I can say for a fact that bronze is not that color, or more correctly, that device is not bronze colored. Even Wikipedia knows "Bronze is a metallic brown color which resembles the actual alloy bronze." My 4th unit is a gray color, not brownish at all; are yours?
(06-19-2018 01:51 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote: [ -> ]We got out "batch" of the four colors and they also ended up stuck to the door of the fridge. My kids dubbed that calc "the Math Bar".

Jake

Gives all new meaning to "I'll be out late tonight, at the bar" Smile
(06-19-2018 06:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2018 02:49 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]No, only the set of four. As they call them: bronze, green, pink, silver.

Ok, thanks!. Phew... well I guess life can continue, I got 'em all.

And I can say for a fact that bronze is not that color, or more correctly, that device is not bronze colored. Even Wikipedia knows "Bronze is a metallic brown color which resembles the actual alloy bronze." My 4th unit is a gray color, not brownish at all; are yours?

Oh gee! I now realize that I have a NIP, 3-color set, and 4(!) gray ones: wrong colors sent, they left me the surplus. You are right: no bronze at all, maybe a warm gray.
(06-19-2018 08:04 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Oh gee! I now realize that I have a NIP, 3-color set, and 4(!) gray ones: wrong colors sent, they left me the surplus. You are right: no bronze at all, maybe a warm gray.

So, of course I've been looking at the gray one 2 or 3 times since posting. I have multiple of each color except the gray one and that pkg is not open so I can't get a clear look at it.

I just found an eBay listing for a pair of "Copper Brown Metal Pocket Calculators", in a pkg style of printed card stock with clear bubble over the device (which is different pkg than the units I have) so this should make the color more clear. Until they arrive, I'm sticking with "Gray".
Hello,

Quick Calc is a simple 4 ops calculator (sometimes, I wish it was five)... 4 colors were made. As far as 4 ops calcs go it is 100% "standard". It has a back magnet, and horizontal format and the nice aluminium front (which makes it much nicer than regular 4 bangers)...

We have them everywhere in the house. At least 2 on the fridge, and I have 3 or 4 in the tool shop (they stick to tools, table saw, band saw, tool boxes...)
Outside of pure work stuff (where I use Prime), they are definitely the most used calculators in the house!

Cyrille
(06-20-2018 05:17 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote: [ -> ]Outside of pure work stuff (where I use Prime), they are definitely the most used calculators in the house!

For me my most used home calculator is a silly little metric/imperial conversion one that allows fractional inch input. I do do a fair bit of woodwork and most plans are presented in the intelligible fractional inch format. I never do arithmetic using this device, just conversions.

For casual calculations, both at home and work, I use a 35 or 45 and sometimes a 25. For anything more serious, it is the 34S or (occasionally) a 42S. Oh, and bc or dc.

Pauli
By the way, the HP Quick Calc is one of the very few simple modern day calculators that does not have a square root key (see here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10670.html) and therefore an exotic device in it's own right!
(06-20-2018 05:17 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote: [ -> ]Quick Calc is a simple 4 ops calculator (sometimes, I wish it was five)...

What is your desired 5th function, I'd guess square root since you mentioned tools in the shop (hard to imagine needing square root in the kitchen)?

Since it does have percent, it arguably does have 5 functions already, but calling it a "five-banger" still seems too aggressive.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's