HP Forums

Full Version: Integration of cosine on wp 34s broken?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just bought a WP 34s and I have been trying to figure out how to use it.

I made the following program (the calculator is in radians):

step 001: LBL A
step 002: COS
step 003: RTN
setp 004: END

I then exit

I then push 0 press enter
Push 10

push integration button (g-function 2)
push A

I see numbers close to the answer cycle on the screen
then the screen turns off

I turn the calculator back on go to program steps (h-func R/S) and I see a bunch of random ERROR codes like 0363 (didn't scroll through them all but it goes down to error 324 and less)

I have firmware version: 34s3.3T3887 (HP 30s)

I tried the same sequence of steps on the newest emulator and it works fine.

Is this calculator I just spent 180CAD$ on junk? or did I do something wrong?

(I tried pressing the reset button on the back of the calculator)

(NOTE: taking the integral of y=x seems to work most of the time)

(JUST TO BE CLEAR: I see the correct (or close to correct answer) on the scree of =~ -0.54, then the screen turns off I power the calculator back on and see the wrong answer: -0.60120 in the x-registry)
I'd try a fresh pair of batteries. The 34S powers off when the power gets low. Normally, it resets and clears the stack and program memory nicely.

I'm surprised that you're seeing corruption, that isn't normal.

Pauli
(05-02-2018 12:43 AM)gomefun2 Wrote: [ -> ]or did I do something wrong?

I entered your program into my hardware (HP-30b) WP 34S and I got the answer you expected (≈ -0.5440) without any of the error codes or screen turning off. So, I don't think you did anything wrong.

Pauli is probably right about the batteries...
You were right, the person that sold it to me had put no-name batteries in it. The calculator said the batteries were at 2.8 Volts and I didn't see the low battery symbol.

When I ran the integral the calculator would show the low battery symbol and shut off. I then turned the calculator to slow mode (downclocking the CPU), re-ran the integral and it managed to complete multiple times (fixing the issue).

Then I put some fresh energizers in there, and now the calculator runs like a charm on fast mode.

(05-02-2018 02:05 AM)Paul Dale Wrote: [ -> ]I'd try a fresh pair of batteries. The 34S powers off when the power gets low. Normally, it resets and clears the stack and program memory nicely.

I'm surprised that you're seeing corruption, that isn't normal.

Pauli
Reference URL's