HP Forums

Full Version: Successfully changed the broken fan of a HP-9825B
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got the 9825B with almost everything working (even the tape reader has been rebuilt!) except the cooling fan was constantly screaming but not rotating fast & the machine was not stable when it got hot.

It is a 38mm x 80mm x 80mm 115V AC fan, which is easy to find. I basically followed the service manual step-by-step to replace it. I keep the original plastic power connectors of the fan (cut them from the wires), and soldered back to the wires of the new fan. A 7/64" hex key wrench is needed to remove the fixed screws around the fan.

It works much cooler & quieter now!

BTW, I tried to apply the retrobright technique to the key caps but since they are not ABS & the original color of the keys are also yellowish, I didn't see significant improvements.

HP-9825B Restored!
Nice! May I ask that you make a video on youtube with a non trivial problem to solve? The others that I find on youtube are not that interesting. They show little bits and that's it.
I've also replaced a fan in one of my 9825T systems, much more pleasant to use it if the fan isn't assaulting you with noise! It was not difficult to do.
Reference URL's