HP Forums

Full Version: hp 48G+ (PLUS) built quality in comparison to hp 48GX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
what do you think about the built-quality of hp 48G+? keyboard, display, overall feel and quality when compared to hp 48G and hp 48GX
i am aware of the technical differences in the specs, i am just interested in the durability and the built-quality; does it feel cheaper or equal to 48G and 48GX?
(02-24-2018 09:42 PM)zx_spectrum Wrote: [ -> ]Hello
what do you think about the built-quality of hp 48G+? keyboard, display, overall feel and quality when compared to hp 48G and hp 48GX
i am aware of the technical differences in the specs, i am just interested in the durability and the built-quality; does it feel cheaper or equal to 48G and 48GX?

I've only handled a few 48G+ samples, but those that I did 'felt' and seemed just the same as the GX machines I own and have handled. The same is true for 48G machines. The only difference is the G and G+ obviously are somewhat lighter (my GXs usually have 2 cards installed, plus the connectors, slides and door) and a lighter feel (to me) can make it feel a bit cheaper, but this is only subjective and relative to a GX.

I noticed no difference in the keyboard or LCD quality. In fact, late G+ models also shared the same black LCD as late GX machines. I'm not sure if late G models also had the black LCD as well, I don't know how late production of the G model continued.
One big difference is that starting around 1997, I think when manufacturing moved from Singapore to Indonesia, the key labels switched to being printed instead of double-shot injection molded. The printed labels look significantly worse, and are less durable (at least in theory).

So unless you want a black LCD, the older units are better.
(02-25-2018 08:58 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote: [ -> ]One big difference is that starting around 1997, I think when manufacturing moved from Singapore to Indonesia, the key labels switched to being printed instead of double-shot injection molded. The printed labels look significantly worse, and are less durable (at least in theory).

So unless you want a black LCD, the older units are better.

This is a good point (which applies to all 48 series) I did not mention. And as the black LCD units tend to be used more (if you have both) the wear on these keys is definitely more noticeable, so theory confirmed.
(02-25-2018 09:45 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]This is a good point (which applies to all 48 series) I did not mention. And as the black LCD units tend to be used more (if you have both) the wear on these keys is definitely more noticeable, so theory confirmed.

Bob, do you have an Indonesian 48G series where you can see key wear? Not mechanical, but the print part? My primary is a GX made in Singapore, and I've had no issues, but I also have an Indonesian G+ I use on the go, and have not had any issues either. 10+ years on both.
(02-26-2018 01:29 AM)polbit Wrote: [ -> ]Bob, do you have an Indonesian 48G series where you can see key wear? Not mechanical, but the print part? My primary is a GX made in Singapore, and I've had no issues, but I also have an Indonesian G+ I use on the go, and have not had any issues either. 10+ years on both.

Yes, but none of them are what I would consider bad. The most noticeable wear is on the large white/colored areas of the "Fn" keys and the 2 shift keys. I assumethat these areas are painted even on the earlier double-shot keys.
Reference URL's