|Re: WP 34S linear regression bug|
Message #2 Posted by fhub on 12 May 2012, 10:47 a.m.,
in response to message #1 by Nigel J Dowrick
I've just tried your dataset (with the same build as you) and I get -1 and 2.3 as results - looks quite ok for me.
I could imagine a few possible sources for your problem:
1) maybe you wanted (1,2) as first point instead of (1,1), because then all 4 points would give a straight line and the L.R. result would be 0 and 2 (maybe this is what you expected when you say "strange numbers"?)
2) have you cleared the stat-regs before?
3) have you set the correct regression 'LinF' mode in [h]MODE ?
(but you would certainly have found this problem yourself, because the current mode is displayed in the alpha-register)
4) maybe you entered x ENTER y instead of y ENTER x ?
(I always use x ENTER y x<>y for such functions that need a (x,y)-pair as argument, like e.g. complex numbers)
5) finally maybe the old RPN vs. RPL problem, i.e. did you enter y ENTER x ENTER SIGMA+ ? (the 2nd ENTER would be the problem here)
I hope you find the reason for your "strange result" in this list. ;-)