|Re: What is that white stuff in the battery compartment?|
Message #5 Posted by Ed Look on 1 Feb 2012, 12:06 p.m.,
in response to message #1 by Kees Bouw
If there is a suspected leakage of material from a nickel-cadmium battery, then also suspect that it is toxic. Touching a small amount won't hurt you; but do wash your hands and do not ingest any. This sounds silly, but grown people do lick their fingers when they need a little more grip, for example. Do wear thin latex or nitrile gloves. Water will remove it better than alcohol, but in the case of the former, don't use much, just a damp paper towel.
I would recommend also that you do not dispose of the used paper towels, etc. in the trash, if there is a lot of it. With just a smear or little bit of the "white stuff", then it should not be problem.
Cadmium is an internal organ poison and nickel... well, it's not good for you, either, but it's less of an issue than cadmium.