|My pleasure! Also... (edited, with image)|
Message #5 Posted by Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil) on 28 June 2003, 1:50 a.m.,
in response to message #4 by Trent Moseley
I must admit your comments (and others as well) make me feel flattered and a bit embarrassed, if you understand me. I feel as if I do not deserve so much, because I also receive so much in here.
Thank you; the sort of comments like yours encourage me to go further.
I will prepare some images (scanned) to show how do I cut the rubber. May others be able to reproduce the procedure, too.
You know, since I was eight I deal with plastic models for fun. I did not specialize myself because it's an expensive hobby if you want to specialize on it. Anyway, I got skills on dealing with plastic parts and when I need to, I rebuild and repair some of them, too. A couple of weeks ago I posted some images showing one Pioneer battery door I "carved" in a piece of plastic from a VHS tape case, the tape protective "shield". I still have the images and one of them I reproduced again right below.
I'm mentioning this because I have an HP1100 Laserjet Printer I use to hardcopy everything I need, HP-calculators documents included, for sure. This printer is a bit old, more than 3 Y.O., and it counts about 11,500 pages already printed (three toners so far). As I am nosy and curious, I decided to service it and carefully removed everything I could to reach paper pulling parts and clean them. Unfortunately I broke the paper sensor, a moving plastic cam with a small and thin tab. I needed to disassemble even deeper parts to remove the cam. While carving it to insert extra tabs to reinforce the one that was broken, the axe also cracked. I glued it again and reinforced it with two plastic slices so I could go further. Shortening: after almost twenty hours I could finally test it again. It took me extra two hours because I forgot two screws that hold paper sensor assy and I had to disassemble it all again twice. I was not patient enough to generate images (scanned) of the plastic cam after rebuilt because I had to assemble it back in place to see if it was working. I'm posting this extra, O.T. text, because sometimes when original replacement is not available, maybe we should try a custom refurbishment. You know, I finished printing the 303-page HP71 User's Manual... with the repaired cam (hey, Doc; I'm becamming an HP71 user!). If I did not do that, I'd have a stuck HP laser printer. Oh, yes, now it pulls one paper sheet at a time, thanks God!
Slicing thick rubber and cutting it to form a calculator feet is entertaining and useful. Sharing the experience is a personal achievement. Finding people like you who congratulates me for that is outstanding.
Thanks a lot.
Luiz C. Vieira - Brazil
Edited: 28 June 2003, 2:13 a.m.